X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2central.net
    If anybody still cares...Paul
    I do. I always find someone taking the plunge and trying to find an alternative, to be productive. In the end, I may feel it may be more trouble than the gain, I still appreciate the attempt. No attempt, no new ways.

Thank you Paul,

Greg W.
    They can have my car when they pry my cold dead fingers from the steering wheel.

Comment

keep us posted on this paul, piccy's are always good
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Good effort Paul, keep us posted!

__MDC__
        Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Hmmmm this gives me ideas for my CQ rears....

I wonder how much of this I can use for US based Coupes and most important....
          fotr using it on a 4x108 bolt pattern. Any opinions of the feasibilty of this marvelous mod to the stated car above?

Comment

Still watching this with eagerness Paul... keep up the good work!

As soon as I see the "it works!" post I'm in. If I knew what i was doing, I'd buy th aprts now and try to help out with the R&D work! Looking forward to rear brakes that work. And look good. And a working handbrake...
            AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Great work Paul. Like Ross, I’m waiting for your final verdict on this. If you can find a good solution for the hand-brake cable, I’m in. I was just about to order parts for the 280mm conversion when I saw this thread.
              SS

Comment

Here's a mad suggestion - aftermath of a nice bottle of red wine whilst scribbling ideas about how best to route the handbrake cable for this conversion... Cos I'm struggling to wonder where best to place brackets in order to restrain a much longer cable.

Hows about drilling two holes in each side of the rear subframe to make the most direct route to the handbrake actuator ?

I'd grommet the holes obviously and I'm fairly sure Audi do this on other vehicles.

Just wondering what the views are from the assembled masses ?

Paul
                Paul Nugent
                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

That sounds like a good solution to me. My rear subframe is away at the moment for powder coating.
                  SS

Comment

Just a very quick FYI on this after a brief break from the forum (work has been mental again).

I got adapter brackets made up to accomodate the longer S2 Avant handbrake cable on my Coupe. The new handbrake cable, some new brake lines and onions have been ordered so I'll post another update when I try *another* dry fit.

I've since had another idea about how to accomodate the handbrake, but different brackets are required and I need to get my hands on a different h'brake cable to see what minimum bend radius can safely be sustained.

Haven't forgotten about this - the time and money invested in parts so far means I have to get a solution.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I read somewhere (on this forum?) about the front (i think) citroen xantia (or simmilar) front brakes, that have the handbrake on the front, and have a bolt pattern of 4x108. Could this be a direct fit for us (losers) that have 4x108 hubs and dont want to spend a pile of cash to have some bigger rears? Any BTDT?
                      Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Ohhh this sounds niiice should be a niiice combo with 996 calipers i have on there way soon. Might do a winter conversion next vinter. Would be awsome if it worked great job man!

Comment

Here's a quick update while its in my head... Been offline loads recently with a new baby in the house that kinda limits the Audi & Internet time.

Whilst sorting thru a hoard of digital photos on the computer I discovered some I had taken of brand new rear calipers for an S2 Avant that I was working on a few years back.

The configuration of the rear calipers on the Avant looks like they will nicely accept the 8E rear calipers with the handbrake actuator in exactly the right position. Only trick would be enlarging the hole in the 8E0 actuator to 14mm in order to accept the S2 Avant handbrake.

I haven't tried the handbrake conversion on my Coupe yet with the wee brackets I had made. Maybe this weekend. I'm still waiting on some parts to do this properly.

Paul
                          Paul Nugent

Comment

The continuing story of pigs in space continues....

Forget the handbrake adapter bracket - I received an assortment of handbrake cables from 'the man' and am deliriously happy (and sad) to say that all I need is a couple of locating clips to secure an alternate handbrake into the 8E0 caliper without any modifications. Said alternate handbrake is about 40mm longer than the S2 Coupe - it comes from the S2 Avant.

As soon as I get the clips I'll be fitting the booger.

Can also confirm the 8E0 hydraulic connection has the same threads as S2 brake unions - I'll probably be renewing rear brake lines during this conversion seeing as the rear circuit will be open and I'll bet the unions at the flexi hoses will give all kinds of hassle with removal.

Paul
                            Paul Nugent

Comment

So it looks quite possible I'll be spending EVEN MORE cash on teh car as part of my project?

If it's not overly complex, might have a go at this one myself... though I'm due a visit to my sis in NI sometime soon so watch out

Watching with interest,

Cheers
                              Ross
                              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Paul: So what are the correct part numbers for pads/caliper/300mm disk we need to order to complete the conversion ?

Thanks.
                                Vadim.

New engine (mechanical PKM head) , Alcon 332mm brakes , Pauter rods , Mahle pistons, GT30R , kw v2 sucpension , new exhaust. 608HP. For SALE !

Comment

Working...
                                X