Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right, had a look at the self study program for Phaeton chassis systems and came up with this
    Attached Files
    the best intentions are fraught with disappointment - gil grissom

sigpic
    1994 ABY Avant - it's getting there

Comment

• and...
      Attached Files

sigpic

Comment

• From the pictures it certainly looks to be rear pull so wouldn't work with right hand pull setup.

Ben

sigpic

Comment

• mmmm - yeah - looks like same topology caliper as the 8E0 jobbies. Darnit...

I'll have to decide whether to go all-out with the handbrake cable swap, or go for plan B which would use A8/S8 carriers & calipers on the 8E0 disc (reduced to 280mm diameter).

Any joy with your rear conversion on the Avant yet ?

Paul
          Paul Nugent
          Webmaster http://S2central.net
          Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
          2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
          2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Hmm..
            Rear pull, top or bottom but no side!
            How useful is that picture! Neat! Certaintly pays to have access to that kind of info.
            Hard to tell but it looks as though there is a rather generous sweep around the suspension for the handbrake cable. Do we know if the Phaeton has leading or trailing calipers. If they are leading then perhaps the cable might prove useful!
            Looks as though some Jags use this caliper. Unfortunately bottom pull!

Comment

• The Phaeton calipers are trailing, unfortunately. I like the idea of staying with the S4 caliper setup as it is a straight swap with off the shelf parts.

I'd like to see the setup fitted to a coupe so I can get a feel for the handbrake routing. Even seeing a standard coupe would help.

As for my conversion the 2007 calipers and carriers are not being released for ordering until mid June so I'll be waiting a while yet. I suppose they want available stocks to fit on brand new cars on the production line

I've still got to blag my way past the inevitable phone call asking why I have ordered parts for a car that hasn't even been built yet :mischeif:

Ben

sigpic

Comment

• Paul,
                Two things!
                Can you check the unlikely source of later Transporter rear calipers! There must be an alternative even if its not from the VAG range. Something big and heavy!
                As for plan B. Is there enough friction disc diameter to reduce the 300mm to 280mm? You will need to measure the pads friction surface and see whether a reduction of 10mm will mean it overhangs!

Comment

• Originally posted by s2avant
                  The Phaeton calipers are trailing, unfortunately. I like the idea of staying with the S4 caliper setup as it is a straight swap with off the shelf parts.

I'd like to see the setup fitted to a coupe so I can get a feel for the handbrake routing. Even seeing a standard coupe would help.

As for my conversion the 2007 calipers and carriers are not being released for ordering until mid June so I'll be waiting a while yet. I suppose they want available stocks to fit on brand new cars on the production line

I've still got to blag my way past the inevitable phone call asking why I have ordered parts for a car that hasn't even been built yet :mischeif:

Ben

Ben - I've said this more than once surely...

The handbrake mechanism on the S2 Coupe is *different* to the S2 Avant !

Coupe caliper is leading position with side activated h'brake.
                  Avant caliper is trailing position with rear activated h'brake.

I have photos of STD S2 rear calipers and they confirm that the handbrake mechanism is identical looking to these now infamous 8E0 rear calipers. Let me see if I can dig up the photo again.

Seeing as I trust you, I can post the 8E0 calipers for you to try on yer Avant...

Paul
                  Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by twoqu
                    Paul,
                    Two things!
                    Can you check the unlikely source of later Transporter rear calipers! There must be an alternative even if its not from the VAG range. Something big and heavy!
                    As for plan B. Is there enough friction disc diameter to reduce the 300mm to 280mm? You will need to measure the pads friction surface and see whether a reduction of 10mm will mean it overhangs!

Transporter - mmm - hadn't thought of that tank...

As for the 280mm configuration - I would use the S6 or A8/S8 rear calipers (Girlings) with the pads suitable for that diameter - from the A8/S8 a la MarkH.

Paul
                    Paul Nugent

Comment

• Paul,
                      What I am trying to flag up is the possibility of the pads "underhanging" the discs if you go down that route.
                      A typical stock rear disc has @47mm of friction disc, annulus or whatever!
                      The pads sweeps @42mm. So there is approx 5mm of disc surface beneath the pad. So if you removed 10mm from the radius the disc would only measure 37mm whilst the pads would be 42mm.
                      If you measure those 300mm discs and have 52mm or more then you will be alright as removal of the 10mm radially will still leave the 42mm of disc for the pad to sweep.

Comment

• Paul, how are the brake project going?, on my S2 limo i fitted A3 280mm reduced to 269mm rotors and S4 carriers. But i forgot the differrence between the handbrake cables so the S4 calipers cant be used. And S2 calipers with 22mm rotor is not a good solution:-) I was happy when i saw the picture of the 8E0 caliper since it have the same handbrake solution as limo/avant. But is the cable long enough to reach the caliper with 300mm discs i am thinking of? Does any other A4 models have vented rear rotors?
                        Lasse R
                        93 S2 limo(fast, getting faster....

Comment

• I use A3´s vented 256x22mm front disc with modified 112/5 (and hub center hole) and S4 biturbo calipers with S4 bit carriers and the S2 limo handbrake cable is slightly tight but it goes ok. 269mm is so much bigger that I think the stock cbles are then too tight.

Comment

• i need the following items to upgrade my rearbreak to a S8 rearbreak at the s2 coupe ?

Calipers 8E0 615 423C & 8E0 615 424C
                            Disc 2 x 8E0 615 601R
                            Carrier 2 x 8E0 615 425B
                            Pads 4B3 698 451
                            Hoses 2 x 8E0 611 775H

and this all is plug and play this sounds good
                            because i will upgrade my front break to s8 / rs2 ( porsche 322mm ) and this rear break will then the next step

Comment

• PAul Bud,

Spot on for trying this out matey, any solutions up to yet?

Aaron
                              Dark Grey Avant
                              RS2 FARB
                              Powerflex Front wishbone bushes
                              Alloy Subframe Bushes

Comment

• Its all plug and play except the handbrake - I haven't had time to follow through and solve the handbrake problem yet. I'm talking about the COupe of course, but S2avant is trying an almost identical setup on the Avant. All parts the same except his calipers are black in colour. That *should* bolt straight up and if it works on Avant, then it works on the Limo (Saloon / Sedan).

Paul
                                Paul Nugent

Comment

Working...
                                X