This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audi Coupe OEM+ Interior Lighting Guide

Been meaning to do something like this for a while now. After sitting in a beautiful red B7 RS4 last weekend and having noticed it's footwell lights, I thought I'd get my butt into gear and do it.

I wanted them to come on and go off with both the central locking and opening/closing the doors. Wasn't bothered about being able to manually switch them on/off.

I linked into the rear interior light mainly because of not wanting to tempt fate in taking down the front interior light and sunroof rotary control panel. I've seen SO many of those broken over the years. Best leave as is.
    The interior light at the rear easily clips down, just push it towards the drivers side and pull the passenger side down at the same time and out it comes.

I needed to determine which live I needed, that being the switched live from the central locking and the door switches and not the permanent live that is there for switching the light on at all times. Didn't have my multimeter at hand, so just used a spare LED I had. Opening and closing the door allowed me to find the two wires I needed.
    Those being the black/green and the black.
    Obviously, linking the two new bulbs in series would dim them down too much, so I wired them in parallel, that meant having to run double the amount of wire, but no big pain really.
    Wire used was standard speaker wire.

The opening for the rear interior light is close to the rear trim, four screws removed from said trim and pulled down off it's press stud fixings and it drops away.
    Wire routed from the light opening behind the rear of the headlining to the passenger side, tucked in behind the rooflining trim and off towards to the front of the car. Once at the A pillar, the wiring is passed through the headlining trim to the felt inner door seal and behind this all the way down the A pillar and by the side of the dash. Then it's passed through into the space above the trim behind the glovebox.
    I chose to use the passenger for both runs of wire because on the drivers side A pillar I have wiring coming up for the auto dim rear view mirror and also wiring for the microphone for the bluetooth handsfree integrated into the Becker headunit.

Both lights aren't Audi (shock horror) they are footwell lights from an MGF of all things. I was going to order Audi version from the A6 or A8, but a chance quick search of EBAY for "footwell lights" brought these up. Bid, got them for 99p, but was ripped on the postage of £5. Anyway, they came in the trims used in the MGF, (REALLY crappy plastic I might add) but the lights themselves are neat little units.
    I used the trims they came with to mark out the hole in the trim where I wanted the lights.
    Now for something totally unexpected, the tray under the parcel shelf already had a hole in it, "exactly" the right size , just next to the little removable hatch my model has to gain access to an airbag connector.
    So only needed to cut a hole in the trim panel behind the glovebox.

I'll let the pictures explain the rest. Will try and nab a couple later when it's dark.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Didn't you fancy HIDs?
      Nice Work
      Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
      England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

Tims old green avant had factory fit footwell lights jas. Not seen them before.
        S2 Cabriolet.........

Comment

Nice one Jas. It's the sort of thing you miss when you're used to other cars with these.

I'd like to put some lights in the bottom of the doors, as now I'm used to the A3 and it's nice to see what you're stepping out on to at night.
          SS

Comment

yeah thats looking good, just need a couple of red leds in the front unit to do the cockpit light at night with the instruments a la A6, really love that and wil install on the S2 at some point
            sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by BRY View Post
              Didn't you fancy HIDs?
              Really tried, but couldn't get them for a 38mm festoon

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
              Seem to remember someone had them, but couldn't remember who. Can now

Originally posted by 4WheelDrifter View Post
              Nice one Jas. It's the sort of thing you miss when you're used to other cars with these.

I'd like to put some lights in the bottom of the doors, as now I'm used to the A3 and it's nice to see what you're stepping out on to at night.
              Yeah, have thought about that. Might order a light fiber strip from an A8 and see what that all about :mischeif:

.................................................. .................................................. .....................................

Shame the passenger side one is just say visible, but it's just not possible for it to go under any further. No room.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Clever!

Maybe a lick of black paint on the edge of the lamp diffuser that faces towards the seat would help to hide it?
                Martin Cutting

aka Keeper of "The Teutonic Kitten"

It's not better than sex, but it runs it a close second.

Comment

Originally posted by Keeper of The Kitten View Post
                  Clever!

Maybe a lick of black paint on the edge of the lamp diffuser that faces towards the seat would help to hide it?
                  Good idea, will give that a go tomorrow
                  2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by Jas11n View Post
                    Good idea, will give that a go tomorrow
                    :
                    liking that new instail mate whats with the gearnob and who is that bloke GAV not seen him for ages
                    94 s2 avant
                    aoc member 1116

Comment

Originally posted by pastures16 View Post
                      :
                      whats with the gearnob
                      S6 (B5)
                      Saves the original from wear and tear
                      2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by gavs20v View Post
                        yes,i was just gunna say ive got these in my avant....funny thing that seeing as it IS Tims old avant

Comment

anyone has a clue what is this panel in the middle of the pic? it is removable. I thought some light could be fit at its place, but didt look at etka.

Audi Quattro WR

Comment

Originally posted by Skull23 View Post
                            anyone has a clue what is this panel in the middle of the pic? it is removable. I thought some light could be fit at its place, but didt look at etka.

It is removable, behind it is a connector for the drivers airbag.
                            2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Originally posted by andyg plym View Post
                              yes,i was just gunna say ive got these in my avant....funny thing that seeing as it IS Tims old avant
                              any pics of these andy
                              94 s2 avant
                              aoc member 1116

Comment

Working...
                              X