This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paul N,

I need your shipping address for the Diff or it won't go until start of July.

Please send me a PM quick or give me a call or text

Raymond
    1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
    1987 CQ85RS
    1994 S2 Avant- Gone
    1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
    Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
    Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

Jeffer: You say you change the O ring but don't you change to the bearing on the V8 torsen for new bearing?
      RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Originally posted by maRS2
        Jeffer: You say you change the O ring but don't you change to the bearing on the V8 torsen for new bearing?
        Nope, we used the same bearing. It was in good nick.
        RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
        RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
        Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
        High Octane website

Comment

http://www.audi90.ch

Comment

Torsen will produce more heat to the oil in the axle/tranny. This is because of the inner friction of the gear. This is the MAIN reason why these diffs are not suitable for racing. The oil in the diff and gb will be veeery thin after just a few laps.

The only thing needed to get a locking device for a Torsen is splines on the diff housing. Problem is, these splines can not be cut as the housing is heat treated.

The bearings are the same no matter what flange you use - the bearings are seated on the diff housing and not on the flanges.

A Torsen with a locking that is device locked will not behave in any way different from a open diff that has been locked. In a locked diff, the torque that is put into the diff is the same as the torque comming out of the diff - it acts as a spool. It won't put more strain on the internals as long as you don't get any inner movment in the diff. Here's where the problem starts to show - maybe when the diff locking mech is new and shiny it will be able to hold everyting totally still - but add a bit of abuse and things will start moving. More moving parts, more slack, more dynamics, more breakdown... So, no go on the locking device. That plus the fact that the spines are hard to cut in the diff house - called one of Swedens best drivashaft producers, Fix-it, and he said that it was not possible - that may not be the whole truth but at least it means it'll be expensive.

Torsen are not for racing, sorry. A buddy of mine works as a drivline developer and his input to the whole matter is heat. Nothing else principal, just heat!

I'm all excited about my swap - must be ready until Nürburgring in August!!!

Comment

Is this why Quaife developed the ATB for race applications - which works like a Torsen but has different gear systems ?

Or what other type of LSD is better for racing / rally applications ?

Paul
              Paul Nugent
              Webmaster http://S2central.net
              Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
              2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
              2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

So what woulde be the best Oil for the V8 Torsen
                100% synthetic 75 W 90 ?

Do you think that a normal LSD with friction disque don't get hot too?
                Can always put a small rad for the rear diff
                RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Oh yeah - I've seen some high end rally cars with gearbox oil coolers now that you mention it - not sure how feasible that approach would work with our rear diff as I think it just bathes in a tub of oil within the diff. You'd need some sort of pumping mechanism to get a flow of oil thru a cooler. Perhaps an externally mounted electrical pump - sucking oil out of the bottom of the diff sump and returning it via the cooler.

Sounds feasible but only really required for competition applications...

Paul
                  Paul Nugent
                  Webmaster http://S2central.net
                  Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                  2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                  2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Yeah, oil coolers are the way, but you do need a pump system. The Porsche 944 Turbo uses a diff cooler but the diff has a pump built into it IIRC. Other wise it wont flow around the cooler. Im looking forward to getting mine now. Also would be intersting to know what type of oil to dump in it. Im thinking a synthetic 75/90 would fit the bill, maybe some thing that is higher viscosity would be better??? 90/140??
                    sigpic
                    Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                    Audi UR Quattro
                    Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                    Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                    Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

200sx's have an oil cooler on the rear diff think the pump is within the diff tho

Comment

Dahlbacks Audi UrQuattro rear diffs oil cooler

Xtra Racing

Comment

Hey, when switching to a Torsen you actually free up space inside the diff that might just be enough for a oilpump that is driven by the left side drive flange... A bit of tinkering and it should be possible!

Jeffer - why did you have to use the V8 left flange? I mean, couldn't you just have used the S2 flange?

Comment

Jeffry,

If I only have the diff (thanks again, btw), I take it I'm missing the metal O Rings..... I'm keen to get mine fitted soon. What consumable bits did you use? gaskets etc? Doing it on a weekend will mean I'll need all the bits, so any PN's that may be valid for the Avant would be good... otherwise I'll need to cycle all week , even when it's p!ssin down!

Yes... I don't have a diesel for during the week, thank god.

Raymond
                            1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                            1987 CQ85RS
                            1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                            1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                            Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                            Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

I tried putting the torsen V8 into my URQ rear diff at the weekend. Major disastor. Both diffs are in bits and i CANT get the torsen to fit. I have even tried removing the pinion shaft and this allows the v8 diff in, but i cant get the v8 in at the same time as the pinion.

My caseing seems to have a steel part pressed in to it where the flange would come out. I tried removing this, but it wont shift. Has anyone any pictures or what these steel o rings are? Or anyone with a nackered rear s2 diff? I just need the caseing. Does the s2 diff bolt up to a URQ.

Thanks,des.

Comment

S2 diff does bolt up to an Urq. Early Urq diffs had a casing with integral mounts. Don't forget Urq diffs are a 3.89:1, while an S2 is a 4.11:1
                                Never show a fool a half built house.
                                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Life is like a **** sandwich
                                The more bread you have, the less **** you eat

Comment

Working...
                                X