Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yerp - that'll get you alright. I can't remember if all UR's have the 3.89 ratio - maybe just the early ones ? I'll check zee family album.

What is your gearbox and rear diff code - they'll be stamped on the casings ?

Paul
    Paul Nugent
    Webmaster http://S2central.net
    Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
    2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
    2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

I must look to see but i think its a 3.89 diff. I could swap the crown and pinion form the UR then the torsen from a V8 into a s2/7a casing and fit that to my urq? Thanks,des.

Comment

Then you'll also need a 4:11 CENTRE diff - unless you want each axle trying to go at different speeds. Memory says you are doing an 01E conversion on that UR in which case you'll be OK.

But yes - you need a rear diff casing from an S2 Coupe or 7A engined 20VCQ. You'll need to check which has the correct driveshaft flanges for your application. If your lucky it should just be a matter of swapping over the UR items. HTH

Paul
        Paul Nugent

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Paul im staying with the 016, and so i was going to swap the pinion and crown from the UR diff into the s2 diff with the torsen also. Anyone see any problems with that? Thanks,des.

Comment

Originally posted by S2central.net
            Then you'll also need a 4:11 CENTRE diff - unless you want each axle trying to go at different speeds. Memory says you are doing an 01E conversion on that UR in which case you'll be OK.

But yes - you need a rear diff casing from an S2 Coupe or 7A engined 20VCQ. You'll need to check which has the correct driveshaft flanges for your application. If your lucky it should just be a matter of swapping over the UR items. HTH

Paul

@Paul - what do you mean by center diff? I mean, the front diff's ring and pinion needs to be the same as the rear - the center diff holds no geraing in that sense, it's 1:1:1 - what you put in comes out in equal portions front and rear (steady-state, constant speed at given surface). I'm guessing you meant front diff instead - just wanted to clarify!

Comment

Sorry yeah - I meant the front diff of course ! D'Oh...

Paul
              Paul Nugent

Comment

Job done. Tonight i have fitted my Torsen diff!!!! So far i havent had the chance to try it out. But fitting was dead easy.

Baiscally the Jeffers write up is spot on. But just to add a little bit about the diff lock setup and oil seals and flanges. Also the Crown wheel is pressed on, but can be removed carefully with a brass drift and a hammer and i used a soft wooden block to tap it back on.

The diff lock is left all bolted it place. You just remove the flange and the supersized oil seal, this then allows you to remove the locking gears, dead easy. The V8 flange is used as it doent have the gear on it to lock the diff. So for fitment you need a new V8 nearside diff oil seal (part number 017 525 400C, 30 notes!!!!) and you may aswell change the offside one too (part number 016 409 399B, 9 quid). The V8 flanges used a different bolt to my S2 ones, so be careful which bolt you use!

It fitted a treat and the only snag i had was that the oil top up and drain bungs were seized in!! I have never been able to change/check the oil level until now!!

The other thing worth doing whilst its out, is to make sure that the little breather on the top of the casing is not blocked up with road crud, as mine was. Ths was causing pressure in the casing and making the seals leak IMO. Looks like a new diff now, with the casings all washed off!!!

Cheers Jeffer
                sigpic
                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                Audi UR Quattro
                Audi 100 C3 2.0 5 cyl 115ps
                Audi S2 - 07k engine project aiming for 800ps
                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Get those part numbers checked first, I also found out that i have 2 broken rear diff mounts too. They look the same ones as the gearbox, so will order a set up in the future. Just to finish off, make sure you order all the parts in advance, then the job can be done within 2 hours on the driveway
                  sigpic
                  Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                  Audi UR Quattro
                  Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Damn those drain plugs.
                    SS

Comment

Originally posted by audiman
                      Get those part numbers checked first, I also found out that i have 2 broken rear diff mounts too. They look the same ones as the gearbox, so will order a set up in the future. Just to finish off, make sure you order all the parts in advance, then the job can be done within 2 hours on the driveway
                      Dug yourself a hole there mate, going to have S2 owners camping outside your house now waiting for diff swaps.

Comment

It could be done without taking the complete diff out, but the 9 bolts all ronded off and had to be chiseled (?) out. So fitted some nice M8 SS bolts!! Bling bling
                        sigpic
                        Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                        Audi UR Quattro
                        Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

We are all talking different approaches.

The guy doing mine took all the locking mechanisim rings and selector out. I am using one V8 flange (the one where there was no locking mechanisim) and the OEM one in the other side. I should try everything this week, but everything seems perfect.

Cheers
                          94' RS2 Coupe TT (Twin Torsen )

Comment

Tom,

What will be the difference with the Avant?

Any hints to clear the 'fog' would be much appreciated

thanks
                            Raymond
                            1997 A6 (C4)Q TDi http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=291269 - Sold
                            1987 CQ85RS
                            1994 S2 Avant- Gone
                            1991 V8 -Gone, but lives on in the TDi and CQ

Fintray Hillclimb - 33.20s
                            Doune Hillclimb - 55.02s
                            Forrestburn Hillclimb - 52.61

Comment

jeffer@ will not porsche fit up front .....like this http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind3.html :mischeif:

Comment

It should be the same with the Avant. I would need to try and fit one!!

I tried it out today coming off a wet roundabout :O

I managed a good drift and was able to control it well. Just need to practise the sliding bit!!
                                sigpic
                                Tom C - www.rcmr.co.uk
                                Audi UR Quattro
                                Audi B5 RS4 645ps 911nm

Comment

Working...
                                X