This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffer
    Strange.... Have you swapped the ring from one diff to the other?
    Jeffer I only received diff it self I did not have casing for it and the space washer is on the lid just in front of bearing.
    cheers
    sigpic_________
    Rob

Comment

Originally posted by robo
      Jeffer I only received diff it self I did not have casing for it and the space washer is on the lid just in front of bearing.
      cheers
      I meant the sprocket ring "ring and pinion"
      RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
      RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
      Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
      High Octane website

Comment

One thing you have to think if you do this mode is:

You will kill your back tyre before front one's.

It's the first time i have to change the back tyre before the front on the RS2
        RS2 chip by mihnea,PKM short IM, forge dump valve, 3" custom stainless exhaust, 18"X8" Porsche 996 rims, conti contact 245/35 Front 225/40 Rear, QR sport top mount, Powerflex bushes, aloy sub frame bushes, neuspeed 19mm RARB,Hard tranny mount, V8 torsen on RS2

Comment

Hi guys
          Is this a torsen diff ? 017 500 044 J
          Cheers in advance
          sigpic

Comment

OK, Torsen T1 in rear diff work well.
            But, Torsen in Front ??? Must be ease to swap V8 - 016.

Comment

thorsen in front diff doesn work or fit. you only have the thorsen in center.betveen front and back. her are the front diff P/N ; http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind3.html from porche....they will fit,but in 016 tranny,im not sure...but in 01e ok

Comment

017500044J are the lockin diff,NOT THORSEN. 4,11-1 RATIO

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                  017500044J are the lockin diff,NOT THORSEN. 4,11-1 RATIO
                  Cheers Caterpillar
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by caterpillar
                    thorsen in front diff doesn work or fit. you only have the thorsen in center.betveen front and back. her are the front diff P/N ; http://www.elektro.com/~audi/01E/ind3.html from porche....they will fit,but in 016 tranny,im not sure...but in 01e ok
                    I have heard of a torsen being put in the front, but it requires that some machining be done because the bearings are different. I believe the part that has to be changed is the part of the diff that goes inside the bearing that goes into the transmission. The transmission doesn't have enough metal to be enlarged for the bearing that the torsen normally uses.

I want to put a torsen diff in a front wheel drive Coupe GT for a 10vt using this method, if I can find a place to do the work.
                    Kenneth
                    1990 Coupe quattro
                    1991 200q20v x 2
                    1985 4ksq 20vt project
                    1986 Coupe GT 10vt project
                    2006 Honda Ridgeline
                    1998 Honda VFR800FI

Comment

I am doing this swap now and was wondering why the crown wheels needs to be swapped?As far as I can see they are the same.They have 37 teeth each and seems to have the same "angle" on the teeth.

Anyone knows?

Johan

Originally posted by Jeffer
                      Here's a small how-to on swapping the open S2 diff for a V8 torsen one.

I'll start this at the point where you have both diffs in front of you on the bench.

- Drain all the oil from both diff's
                      - Remove both the driveshaft flanges from both diff's
                      - Remove the casing-cover that sits behind the driveshaft flange, on both diff's. That casing is bolted to the diff housing itself with 9 bolts.
                      - Remove both diffs out of it's housing
                      - Then remove the O-ring seal at the far end of the diff housing from both the V8 diff and S2 diff.
                      The reason for that; is that one of the two driveshaft flanges from the S2 is different then from the V8. The V8 driveshaft flange has a thicker diameter at the point where it seals with the O-ring. We need the V8 driveshaft flange eventually on the S2 diff housing.
                      These O-rings are metal, and are pressed in the diff housing. They can be removed by driving them out with a pendriver and a hamer from the inside out.
                      Ofcourse it will be better to replace the V8 O-ring with a new O-ring. Just make sure its not damaged if you use it or dried out.
                      - Press the V8 O-ring in the S2 diff housing. You will notice that the inside diameter from the V8 O-ring is bigger then the S2 O-ring.

- Passing on to the diffs itself.
                      - Remove the crown wheels from both diff's (bolted with 10 bolts). And swap them around. So S2 crown wheel onto the V8 Torsen Diff. Retighten the bolts at xx NM (will need to check what NM's I tightened the bolts)
                      - Drop the V8 Torsen diff in its new S2 housing
                      - Make sure all bearings are clean. Apply some liquid gasket on the surface where the casing-cover meets the diff casing. Then put the casing-cover to close the diff again.
                      - Retighten the 9 bolts
                      - Mount the V8 driveshaft flange on the side were you swapped the O-ring
                      And on the other side IIRC the S2 driveshaft can be fitted.
                      - retighten the bolts from both shaft flanges
                      - Check if there's any play on the diff bearings and that it turns easily
                      - Fill the diff with some fresh oil. And check for leaks.
                      - Get it back under the car asap!! And while you're at it, throw in a powerflex diff rubber aswell.

Enjoy some sideways actions!!

I'm not responsible if there's a failure because someone used this method to swap his diff. If you do this swap, use your common sence and check every step for yourself.

Cheers guys!

Comment

the v8 crown wheel is the same ratio but is slightly thicker hence the change.

Comment

Hi!
                          This Torsen fitted in the back is really tempting me!
                          Few questions:
                          Where can i find a V8 rear torsen (not new of course lol) there is no chance to find it in Italy (not many V8 have been sold) perhaps german ebay?
                          Also any opinion in the differences in driving it?
                          More safe? more fun? what about snow driving will it still a climber?

Thanks Stefano
                          http://www.audisportclub.com/

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/vbgoogl...227295&zoom=16

Comment

The crown and pinion gets worn together - switching one out will kill the other - hence, they always swap as a pair!

Comment

@ veneto rs2

I have a spare V8 Torsen if you are interested.
                              http://www.audi90.ch

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Buff View Post
                                @ veneto rs2

I have a spare V8 Torsen if you are interested.

How much?

Comment

Working...
                                X