RallyRep AAN fitting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last two pics are not showing for me.
    Are you thinking of converting to quattro arches then? I might have a couple of rear quarters left over..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh View Post
      Last two pics are not showing for me.
      Are you thinking of converting to quattro arches then? I might have a couple of rear quarters left over..
      Hi John.
      Uggg.. If only I'd known about your Ur rear quarters two weeks ago

The bodyshop are too far along fabricating repairs for the right rear quarter on our Ur to go back now.

As for this old girl, yes, I'd ultimately like to go the wide composite arch route,..

The last posted photos..., I've checked on three devices here and they appear to be working fine - links reentered above. The rest of the thread is completely knackered by the photobucket debacle though...
      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian Simmonds;2023172]

Hi John.

The bodyshop are too far along fabricating repairs for the right rear quarter on our Ur to go back now.

As for this old girl, yes, I'd ultimately like to go the wide composite arch route,..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

[QUOTE=newsh;n2023176]
          Originally posted by Ian Simmonds

Hi John.

Hi John..

Post has gone a bit skew-iff bud..... It's just a repeat of my quote...
          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

What I wrote was, if you edit your posts so that the links read ~original before the jpg tag the pictures will appear

And some other stuff the forum lost

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Like this

[QUOTE=Ian Simmonds;815421]Got the High Res photos of the old RallyWreck in today from Sunseeker...

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Got the High Res photos of the old RallyWreck in today from Sunseeker...

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...d~original.jpg

Ok looks like they closed that loophole..
                You can remove the img tags

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Well, it's been an interesting few months...

This is the old girl this morning.

To be fair it's not done a great deal of mileage recently after the oil cooler thermostat failed when going to Dublogic in May... One of the hottest bank holidays in living memory.

It was like Apollo 13 with oil and water temperatures completely off the chart.
                  Fortunately, it was running fresh 10w60 Castrol Edge and survived some epically stressful motoring.

Since then (and being fixed) the old girl hasn't been number one priority as the Ur is getting ever closer to coming home from it's 8 month restoration and needs a proper dry, dehumidified nest to return to. What with that and the S2 turbo change, the rallyrep is 'as is'. Fortunately, 'as is', for the rallyrep isn't all that shabby, as even with a totally spirited drive it doesn't totally misbehave... It was quite interesting to see a new RS4 owners reaction when he tried the old 'balk and scarper' trick away from Fontwell roundabout.... Only to realise the old banger was still 20yds behind at xxx mph...

Anyway, oil temperature and engine cooling are still an issue, 75% rad position and airflow, 25% gear ratio, I've run the hottest summer days with the upper driving lamps removed to aid cooling, but. it's a sticking plaster fix . The Porsche 986 Baer aux rad sits in the shed (no3) awaiting fitment but the Ur is starting to dominate proceedings now, so sadly, the RallyRep will have to play bridesmaid for a while longer... But at least the air temperatures are getting cooler!
                  Last edited by Ian Simmonds; 2 September 2018, 23:57.
                  93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

I had a little "hoon" time today, just me, my thoughts and this magnificent beast. A scamper over the A272 and down towards Goodwood before heading back east. It's a gentle, forgiving drive that unlocks a monster with the flex of the right foot. Those with a B2 5pot 20vT will know that slightly "off the wall" behaviour this juxtaposition brings.

Benbow lake, Midhurst.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Hard not to have some fun in that i suspect...still looking good
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Prompted by Chris’ post in another thread it’s probably quite timely to give a quick update.

After last May and the Apollo 13 mission to Dublogic in Suffolk, a journey remembered for apocalyptic water and oil temperatures. ( mainly due to a stuck oil cooler thermostat, but also through a marginal cooling setup). I decided before this summer that something had to change. The front lower zone of the car is all intercooler, so the options for a front mounted water radiator were limited. Chris (Jogi730) bless him, sent down the tanks from is 90quattro build, but I had also bought a Porsche 986 centre Auxiliary radiator after much measuring. This turned out to be the preferred option.

Whilst at it, another issue was heat ‘stacking’ in the engine bay, hot air unable to escape quickly enough, so a pair of bonnet louvres were added. The heat haze that comes out of both is incredible, one is sat directly behind the radiator and fan whilst the other is over the turbo and wastegate.

We have also put the S2 Ronal on, which do look a lot better.

Finally, during yesterday’s tinkering I found the Nothelle N300 Motronic ECU really woke the car up (it was not exactly asleep to be fair).

I need to take some decent pictures as these aren’t brilliant and the car was unfinished.

Sincere thanks to Chris (and Mark) for sending down the radiators, they’re all boxed and bubble wrapped ready to come home when we meet up next.
                        93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Photos... I finally got around to it today, in my favourite location.

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

It’s been a long time since I updated this but not a huge amount has changed.

The interior has become more civilised, I’ve put the rear carpet coverings back in where the back seat was, reinstated the glovebox (minus door, because that hit the cage) and drivers side dash trim with box. I know it’s not truly in keeping with the car but it’s a much nicer place to be and I’m getting old!

Last edited by Ian Simmonds; 2 August 2020, 15:18.
                            93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

But over the winter the performance had deteriorated to the point where it was breaking up under any load...

Anyway, finally got around to ordering one of Alex‘s (error404), coil pack wiring harnesses and Beru coils, my gawd, the difference. It’s no exaggeration to say it’s a new car...

Sincere thanks Alex.
                              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

On closer inspection the Ignition control modules look pretty ropey....

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X