Giving the S2 some love

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ian Simmonds View Post

The headliner is sadly postponed until I get time from work and the wind drops, as it’s an outdoors activity on a calm day.... Either that or epoxy glue the gladioli together with Faux suede....(that’s a sentence never written before)...
    some interesting pastimes down in deepest Sussex these days It seems...or is it the latest corona guidance from Boris, Stay home, get kinky, glue the gladioli
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

• I put the S2 back together yesterday and today....

The headliner is in and behaving itself which is reassuring.

Several people have wondered whether to have a bash and I’ll give an honest answer.... No. Doorcards, fine, headliner = nightmare. I assumed the removal and refitting would be the main issue, but that’s just time and plodding your way through. The headliner retrim is hard, takes two people and patience but also requires speed due to the glue and no wind. You soon learn having a second go isn’t an option.

I think the shape of the headliner around the grab handles is too severe for the headliner material and took so much working to stop it looking like a Shar-Pei Dog - even then it still wrinkles.

interestingly, it’s been a good experience and dismantling the interior wasn’t that bad, it also allowed me to repair various bits that have been broken for years. The Audi dealer boot mounted CD autochanger wiring had been fitted by a bloke with a bulldozer, pretty much every clip down the drivers side was maimed in some way, so I’ve methodically repaired and replaced.

If I’d give one piece of advice, it’d be remove and refit yourself over several days and let a professional Car upholstery firm do the actual retrim.

We are now orange foam free. Whoo-hoo...
      85 WR Urquattro, 85 20vT International liveried RallyRep
      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Looks like you’ve done an excellent job and you must have really challenged your patience levels doing this job certainly not one I would try!!!

Comment

Isn’t yours a standard B2 lining then Chris? They’re almost indestructible.
          I had a closer examination of mine following your comment.
          The actual roof lining itself is in good condition, although would a thorough clean. It is just on the B and C pillars where rips have appeared. I may therefore be getting just the pillars done.
          This means rear glass out, so not a DIY solution.

Audi 90 quattro (Typ 85)
          20v turbo conversion

sigpic

Comment

• Tackled the engine bay today, it’s not concours by a long shot, but it’s 100% better than it was, you could’ve planted potatoes in there...

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• That looks nice and clean

Did you have a problem with the coils popping off the plugs?...…..or is it just for why not!?

Comment

• Originally posted by John. View Post
                That looks nice and clean

Did you have a problem with the coils popping off the plugs?...…..or is it just for why not!?
                Well, good question really. I never had an issue, but John at JMR found they were working loose at each annual service, so added the bar.
                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Oooo, look what has arrived!

93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Yum yum
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Fitted the new boost hoses today.... My gawd it took an age, fettling jubilee clip positions, tidying, cleaning and occasional profanity.

I’ve finished the plumbing but ran out of time to put the front end back on, so it’s going to bed like this tonight.

Started and shunted the cars about and it runs fine, boost gauge seems to be doing the right things for a quick blip.

Fingers crossed it’s leak free tomorrow and thanks to the forum, used it several times today and it helped immensely.
                      93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• Look very nice fitted.
                        While you have your undertray off, could you take a couple of pics for me and the part number. I'm on the look out for one and the part numbers are very confusing on 7zap. Some say its the same as the 80 cabriolet but I'm not sure.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Of course Dave, let me know which bit and I’ll try to oblige.
                          93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Of course Dave, let me know which bit and I’ll try to oblige.
                            The whole undertray.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Ah what this?

It is pickling as we speak. Will check out tomorrow.
                              93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

• I cannot find a part number that’s obvious. But looking at 7zap ours is definitely 8A0863821N shape and fixings. It’s certainly not rodent proof...

I’ll have another look tomorrow once it stops chucking it down.
                                93 MTMS2 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X