My 1996 Silver ABY Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rynaqui View Post

Clutch is also slipping when the car has been warmed up a fair bit so will be thinking of a SMF conversion with an uprated clutch very soon so that is next on my list of things to do, anything recommended to get done while the box is off, new slave cylinder, rear crank seal?
    My advice would be to stick with an oem dual mass flywheel, and a new Sachs RS2 Clutch kit. It will be a much nicer drive. You don't have so much power that you'll overwhelm the suggested set up.

Disappointed with my single mass flywheel and uprated clutch. oem set up feels much nicer on my urS6. That is why I say the above.

Re the oem crank seal, I thought I read on here somewhere a while ago that the oem was not great, and that a genuine brand one might be better. Could be just my imagination.

One of the things that might be causing the disappointment regarding my clutch set us is that a bit of oil might be leaking out of my new oem crank seal.

My first gear is noisy now, so will eventually be swopping out my box so I'll be able to see what's going on.

Just my tuppence, so that you can consider it and make your own choices.

As the car is so perfect, are you not going to get a second hand front cross-member to replace the dented one, or is it not impeding the air flow ?

Kind regards.

Comment

Originally posted by irishs2 View Post
      Very very clean. Top job.
      Thank you very much mate

Originally posted by macspring View Post
      My advice would be to stick with an oem dual mass flywheel, and a new Sachs RS2 Clutch kit. It will be a much nicer drive. You don't have so much power that you'll overwhelm the suggested set up.

Disappointed with my single mass flywheel and uprated clutch. oem set up feels much nicer on my urS6. That is why I say the above.

Re the oem crank seal, I thought I read on here somewhere a while ago that the oem was not great, and that a genuine brand one might be better. Could be just my imagination.

One of the things that might be causing the disappointment regarding my clutch set us is that a bit of oil might be leaking out of my new oem crank seal.

My first gear is noisy now, so will eventually be swopping out my box so I'll be able to see what's going on.

Just my tuppence, so that you can consider it and make your own choices.

As the car is so perfect, are you not going to get a second hand front cross-member to replace the dented one, or is it not impeding the air flow ?

Kind regards.

Had a think about whether to stick with the DMF setup or go SMF, personally always found the DMF very smooth to drive and on idle however sometimes a chore with engagement, changing gears etc isn't the smoothest especially if going uphill or on a bumpy road (which we have a lot of in Malta ). Also the DMF on the car is bound to be pretty worn and prone to failure due to more power and am sure a replacement would not be cheap

I will have a look at the best choice for the rear crank seal, maybe just better to buy direct with the housing so as to ensure a very good seal even if it is more pricey? Could be it is leaking oil on to your clutch then and maybe caused issues with gear change over time? Hope the new box sorts out your gear problems

As for the cross member, I am tired of the garage staff always mentioning it to me, I know it had a front-end accident once, nothing you can do about that and the car even had the underheadlight plastic air guide repaired using tie ropes .

That was now purchased new for the grand price of less than 20 euro, the tabs on the upper part of the headlight were also broken when we removed to replace the lens but were repaired and welded by our panel beater, top job and not a super glue job as it was previously done, very dodgy repair it was to say the least . Bumper is not even original and has green paint on the inside . Might be something for the future.

The cross member doesn't seem to be causing any issues with air-flow though as the car seems to be flying! I love how everything has completely changed the sound and would definitely recommend an RS2 airbox as well . It's a completely different animal

Still a few things on my list of things to do, time and money are the problems
      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

The RS2 has the sane clutch and flywheel as ABY, so just a standard replacement would be fine. I have an OE Audi LUK 3B clutch on my similar spec car and it doesn't slip Wouldn't suggest getting one of those but just for reference
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
          The RS2 has the sane clutch and flywheel as ABY, so just a standard replacement would be fine. I have an OE Audi LUK 3B clutch on my similar spec car and it doesn't slip Wouldn't suggest getting one of those but just for reference
          That's what I thought but I've only replaced my clutch one year ago. That said the clutch only starts slipping when the car is properly warmed up and has been trashed a bit.
          1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

What clutch? Was it OE? You could have the wrong one... Check the part numbers as there are plenty of ABYs running RS2+ power on stock clutch without issue.
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

Pretty sure it was OE LUK/Sachs combination of pressure plate and clutch as per the original.

Also checked the number from the box through the internet, was over a year ago now though..
              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Well done Ryan, looks good and sounds great as well

Comment

Originally posted by quattrostyle View Post
                  Well done Ryan, looks good and sounds great as well
                  Thanks Patrick, more to come, way too much
                  1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

MOT done, couple of things next on the list:

Fix ABS fault, ever since I've changed the sensors at the rear, after driving off, the ABS light comes on, not too bothered about it if I'm honest.
                    Got some chain-reinforced exhaust hangers to fit from 034 as well as a gear linkage bush.
                    Removed the HID kit which was fitted, gave me a fair bit of trouble, thankfully the OE harness was still there, connected that up and combined with the new lenses, everything is super clear and no more flickering
                    Re-Gas the A/C and hope for no leaks!
                    SMF with uprated clutch, doesn't seem to be slipping anymore at this moment so that is good news..maybe I can put this off for a while
                    Front alignment as it is slightly off.
                    Get the knackered exhaust replaced

Extra:
                    Recaros, RS2 Rims and an RS2 steering wheel and re-trim the interior with alcantara

Happy to report water temps are pretty good and stable as is the oil temperature ever since changing the old one . Voltage since removing the HID ballasts is sitting at a stready 14v

Pics from today at work after the MOT with some younger Germans . And that large building is the Avis building where I work

IMG_0965 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_0961 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_0959 by ryanaqui, on Flickr
                    1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Had a go this evening replacing the exhaust mounts with chain reinforced ones from 034.

I finally figured out what was causing the small scraping noise when driving which changed with speed. The exhaust was catching with the driveshaft as there was a lot of play with the exhaust mounts previously on the car. The new mounts seem to have sorted this which is good news for now, it still catches with the chassis but at least I'm rid of one of the noises it was making

Tip for fitting these types of mounts since they have very little play! If you don't have a gearbox jack to support and lift the exhaust on a normal jack, do it on the floor and use a trolley jack to lift the exhaust, much easier that way, but don't forget to use a jack stand
                      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Just got word from supersprint, will be about two months before they can supply the exhaust due to it needing to be manufactured.

In the meantime, if I manage to collect more funds I may think about doing the SMF conversion, slave cylinder and exhaust at the same time. Have a bush for the linkage to go on while the box is off too.

What's the best type of oil to put in the box? Forget what we put in last time
                        1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

1 month later and not much, sorted out a wheel bearing problem even though this was replaced, seems fine now as well as my first set of top mounts . The A/C compressor is packing it in again, gonna be the third summer without A/C, not happy is an understatement . Exhaust still no nearer to finding a solution and RS2 wheels should be on the way, Recaros up next

Meanwhile been enjoying cleaning her up, degriming all the wheels and waxing them as well as cleaning the inner wheel wells, surprised it took 4 hours to do them all but the waxing was a real b**** with these wheels, RS2 wheels should take about half that time . Still left the wax about 30 minutes to really set in

Product used was Autofinesse Iron out if anyone is interested, about £60 for a gallon but you can mix it about 50/50 with water. Good at removing brake dust and other contaminants from the wheel wells and even good for the body of the car. Waxed with Autofinesse mint wheels. Came out quite nice honestly

Even the calipers came out real nice!

DPP_2296 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2298 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2299 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2300 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2307 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2309 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2321 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2325 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2326 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2327 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2328 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2329 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2317 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2319 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2318 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2312 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2333 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

DPP_2336 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Just got my seats which I bought from Patrick on here trimmed and I am chuffed at the result! Looks like there is something I can get done really professionally in Malta after all

Before:

IMG_20140529_212743 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

After (Bad quality pics sorry ):

IMG_1479 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_1478 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_1477 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_1476 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

IMG_1475 by ryanaqui, on Flickr

Can't wait to fit them in the car
                              1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

Most epic seats I've ever seen