Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• steve briance
    replied
    I've got another JP Group sender on its way but this evening while at a loose end i have been dunking my collection of 3 different MFTS into a cup of hot water and reading resistance values.

yes, life on the edge i know.

Meyle, Mahle and JP group brands.

Earth to T pin (for gauge) were all about the same give or take some ohms
    Earth to R pin (for ECU) gave me open circuit on Mahle and Meyle but a variable with temperature reading on the Jp Group MFTS.
    Earth to C pin (for autocheck) gave me open circuit on Mahle and Meyle but a variable with temp reading on the Jp group MFTS
    Between pins T and R on the Mahle and Meyle I got open circuit but again variable reading on the JP group.

It seems that externally they all look the same but it seems that only the 'gauge' pin does anything on the Meyle and Mahle items. I tried heating the business end with a flame that was def more than 118deg C to see if it would switch or vary an output on pin C but nothing. I'd not want to test the 118deg C autocheck alarm switch for real as that is too hot in my book.

I've got no idea what the output to ECU does as I thought coolant temperature signal only came from the white sender on the back of the head? It just struck me as being strange that some brands have an output to ECU and others don't. Does it matter?

fingers crossed the new sensor sorts it out!

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    In other words, no chance, not with postage to .de :@

Leave a comment:

• Maurizio
    replied
    It means, that if the new part is broken or not working, you can send it back to submit a claim.

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Was it car-tech of something like that?

If so their support system is broken, and I had to email them.

Leave a comment:

• Nuvo
    replied
    I think it reads something like "if the item is out of order, submit a complaint".

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    I've had a reply. German seller, German reply put into google translate...

"Wenn der Artikel nicht in Ordung ist können sie diesen zur Reklamation ensenden".

"If the article is not in order, they can send it to the complaint"

do you think this means it can be sent back?

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Yeah have contacted mine too, fingers crossed it is not a bad batch.

Also found today that my superglued fuel pressure regulator mounts had given up, the FPR was rattling round the engine bay and the vacuum line had come adrift, no wonder it was struggling to start this week.... 25% extra fuel is not helpful.

Bizarrely, after a search, I had some rubber mounts from my Range Rover which fitted perfectly, so did the job properly this time.

My Mahle was identical to yours... Sigh beginning to think I should just snip the wire!

Leave a comment:

• steve briance
    replied
    DOH!

On the back of getting wind of a potential solution to the MFTS issues i was having, i got a JP group sender. My Mahle sender was working the gauge alright but gauge was sinking at speed, back up to normal when return to stationary. not really reflecting actual temperature.

JP group sender fitted tonight. Gauge reads bang on the first big line and stays there apart from a minute variation according to how fast i am going and how hard the engine is working. this seems reasonable but... BEEP BEEP BEEP - temperature warning comes on and stays on like yours! The fan wasn't running, oil pressure good and no after run fan when switch off so i don't think it was actually over hot.

What to do?!

I am going to contact the seller about a return but am wary of getting another one

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Well, JP group sender fitted, reads bang on, if anything a bit higher than I would have expected, but all good

Bad news is that the overheat is permanently sounding -aaaaargh.

Guess I will need to return it as faulty...

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Cool, Thanks Mikes2 , will give one them a go,they seem the cheapest to me as well!

Good to have the values as well, I can then check the gauge hasn't suddenly gone faulty at the same time...

Leave a comment:

• Mikes2
    replied
    I'm running a JP Group one in my 20v. No problems with the reading, Tried several different types with little success before this one. You can measure the resistance between the T pin and the sensor to get an idea of where your gauge will sit . Around 1100 ohms is ideal. If it's lower it will read high (Meyle). If the resistance is high, you'll get what you're seeing. I got the same with a Behr one

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Ok, so scrub Mahler MFTS from the list, even with the boot in place temperature drops to around 70C when cruising, this is despite replacing the thermostat in case I had things muddled up.

Sigh, anyone know of an MFTS that actually works?

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Yeah, autocheck is all good, I managed to fix it for months previously by wiggling oil pressure switch wires, and smacking the MFTS with a tool, just need to pull my finger out and get a decent set of uninsulated crimps and some econoseal connectors I think

Leave a comment:

• Error404
    replied
    Don’t rule out the Autochexk itself, I had a similar issue when I first got my cq.
    Try taking it out and cleaning the long connector pins and the corresponding sockets that interface with the cluster board

Leave a comment:

• Bowie69
    replied
    Quick update:

Oil pressure warning still happening occasionally, much better when warm, will be wiggling the connector again to try and fix, and will definitely replace shortly.

Also, overheat alarm became more frequent, bought a new Mahle MFTS and fitted that yesterday, all sorted, and no more warning, what a lovely feeling to drive along with only fuel and washer fluid warnings - at least these are valid

Leave a comment:

Working...
X