Kit bumping his S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
    Then to cheer myself up I bolted some shiny stuff together on top of my spare NG block I use for mocking stuff up, it was taking up too much room in my kitchen.

That does look like one serious air/fuel mincing machine with some serious throughput dynamics. Air and a little petrol in at one end and the Devil's profanity laden screaming roars from hell out the other, rock on...
    RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
    RS2 - LHD on the road again
    RS2 - reduced to component parts
    RS2 Saloon replica
    A4 1.8T
    BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
    sigpic

Comment

Last edited by sidrick; 26 August 2016, 05:50.

Comment

Originally posted by sidrick View Post
        Is that drivers front tyre a rotational on the wrong side (again)?
        I think it's just for the sake of having a wheel there, regardless of it's intended direction
        Last edited by cardcrash; 26 August 2016, 05:57.
        RS2 Saloon replica
        A4 1.8T
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cardcrash View Post
          I think it's just for the sake of having a wheel there, regardless of it's intended direction
          Removed my post as it's not worth the 'discussion'. Every tyre I've seen in this thread has been wrong rotation, very worn or unmatched.

That's not to say this was a factor in the accident. It just sticks out. Didn't want it to seem like an accusation

Comment

...I didn't realise Audi made four, I thought it was just two, thanks for the info and photos Dave.
            I was going to post up the reference to "four" that I *know* that I saved as a Word doc but so far I haven't found it.

Here are photos of a least one other RS2 sedan.

Attached Files
            RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
              Sorry but just to be pedantic, whatever is for sale, it is highly extremely unlikely to be a real RS2 sedan/saloon since only 4 were (unofficially) made. At least one of those resides with the Audi Museum.
              I know it's not a "Geniune" RS2 saloon I should of said RS2'd saloon. Always someone to point an error

Comment

Yes, as I pointed out at the bottom of the last page!
                RS2 Saloon replica
                A4 1.8T
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sidrick View Post
                  Removed my post as it's not worth the 'discussion'. Every tyre I've seen in this thread has been wrong rotation, very worn or unmatched.

That's not to say this was a factor in the accident. It just sticks out. Didn't want it to seem like an accusation
                  Fair point.

Just to clear things up the tyres fitted at the time of the accident were a matched set of four Uniroyal rain sport IIIs, which are asymmetry's. All were fitted correctly regarding rotation and legal. Their great tyres by the way.

Yes, the fronts were on their last leg's but as it's still just about summer I though I'd get another couple of hundred miles out of them before fitting four new ones. I was actually going to replace them this week with another set of the same in preparation for going to Scotland in September, which obviously I'm not doing now.

The wheels and tyres fitted while the car is on my drive isn't relevant, that's not how they fitted when I crashed and I certainly wouldn't drive it like that, I've merely stuck on what I can to move the car about at home

I whacked a random wheel I had knocking about fitted with a directional (the wrong way) on the offside front and one of my spare RS2 rims with a worn out tyre on the nearside front. As well as another odd wheel to the nearside rear.

I want to put the three wheels that were clouted at the time of the accident on a balancing machine to see if their still straight and worth putting tyres on.

I hope that clears things up.:

As I've mentioned in the thread already the freshly dampened road was like glass and it wouldn't have made any odds what tyres I had fitted. I was simply going too fast for the conditions, which I'd grossly misjudged.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

The road was incredibly slippery, even the police remarked upon how bad it was and said how unlucky I was. Fresh rain after weeks of dry weather is a ****** for it, I thought I was driving accordingly but obviously not. Didn't even have a chance to floor it and try and pull the car straight, the back end just whipped around.

It's a real sod, if I want to resurrect the car I can't involve the insurance as it would be a Cat B, the nearside suspension tower has moved a little and they'd automatically slap a B rating on it as it's chassis damage. It's nothing major, I've already worked out how to fix it, I've got access to hydraulic body jacks and have repaired worse in the past, hell I'll weld a new fitch in if I have to but I really don't think It'll come to that.

The offside inner wing isn't too pretty either which would also ensure a B rating, but I cut the one out of Charlie's RS2 before it went for scrap so if I can't beat it straight I'll weld in the replacement.

When it come's to fixing it I'm going pull the engine and box out, clear the engine bay and drop all the rear running gear then put it on a home made jig which I'll fabricate out of box section steel to make sure I get it properly straight again. I think the critical dimensions are in the Bentley manual which is handy.

I'm considering caging it and changing the roof skin to do away with the sunroof and turning it into dedicated track/drag racing car. It'll be sometime before I get onto it, all my VW's need to go first....

Ah well, at least I'm still here.
                    Same happened to me but it was outside Mugabe's main gate! Almost got shot for my troubles. But hey main thing is we are still here

Comment

As I've mentioned in the thread already the freshly dampened road was like glass and it wouldn't have made any odds what tyres I had fitted. I was simply going too fast for the conditions, which I'd grossly misjudged.
                      Totally agree. I do a bit of cycling and I find I have more grip on a road bike in the POURING rain than in the middle of summer after a light drizzle.

Drizzle lifts the oil and residue in the texture of the tarmac to the surface. Oil is less dense than water, so the water fills all the cracks in the tarmac, and the oil sits like a film floating on the surface.
                      B5 B6 B7 B9

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                        Totally agree. I do a bit of cycling and I find I have more grip on a road bike in the POURING rain than in the middle of summer after a light drizzle.

Drizzle lifts the oil and residue in the texture of the tarmac to the surface. Oil is less dense than water, so the water fills all the cracks in the tarmac, and the oil sits like a film floating on the surface.
                        Indeed - I've got very early memory of my folks discussing this whilst out driving- I was very small but I was taken by their description of the roads after summer rain as being 'greasy'....and I've tried to remember that....however as Andy pointed out earlier there is also a lot of diesel slopped around our roads (at any time of year) and it still can catch you out unless spotted first

Shame you won't be making the Scotland trip Kit- but quite understand- will look fwd to the build thread of your 3B resurrection project

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                          ...Drizzle lifts the oil and residue in the texture of the tarmac to the surface. Oil is less dense than water, so the water fills all the cracks in the tarmac, and the oil sits like a film floating on the surface.
                          Living in Vancouver Canada for 26 years I can attest to the correctness of that statement. We can go for weeks with no rain in the summer. As soon as the first rain hits, there are many many accidents because the rain lifts the weeks of oil drips from 1000's of cars to the driving surface seriously decreasing the coefficient of friction resulting in many rear-ender and spin-out crashes. Best to stay off the roads on that first day.

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                          94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Not just the oil... all the dust helps to make it s dusty oily mud -nice and slippy, even more than wet grass

Comment

Originally posted by SA BOY View Post
                              Same happened to me but it was outside Mugabe's main gate! Almost got shot for my troubles. But hey main thing is we are still here
                              Christ I bet that was a hairly experiance!

Thanks for the understanding posts guy's....I agree with Dave, best not to take to the roads under such conditions.

An expensive lesson learnt.
                              1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                              1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                              1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                              1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

Glad your ok, good luck with the rebuild.

orsum

Comment

Working...
                                X