No announcement yet.

My Ocianic Blue Ur restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had to get some more material for the c pillars. This vinyl is a good match and came from Woolies.

I found out that these should be fitted at the same time as the side and rear windows. The material is held by the window seals. Now the glass was replaced by the painters and only one side piece was left. Apparently they were getting new pieces made but these never materialised (excuse pun). So I used the one piece left as a template to make new.
    To get around the problem, I fitted new scrim foam and bonded the vinyl to it. The trimmed edges were then tucked under the window seals. Not easy but it came out fine in the end.
    These two tools helped.

A fork and a picture rail hanger.

This rain tray replaced my old broken up one. Got it from Tradition. It's for lhd (rhd are nla). After a little trim it fits really well.

My speakers in the rear parcel shelf are still working but the cones are breaking up. I picked up a pair of 4” nos Blaupunkt speakers for 99p on eBay. £6 postage but still a bargain.

Rear parcel shelf getting new foam backing.
    The roof inside had a tiny bit of surface rust. I cleaned it up, treated it and put a good coat of clear wax on everything plus inside all the voids.

I saw some new grab handles at Tradition and they were cheap.

And the new visor clips were new a couple of years ago.

The sunroof hole got a good clean and coat of wax before re fitting the headliner. The mechanism got a overhaul and white grease in all the moving parts.

The headliner is in but I forgot to take pics.
    More to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Gonna be an amazing example once its all back together

Comment

• I'm absolutely amazed you can still get the drip tray and sun visor retaining clips as well as the grab handles, especially for a reasonable price, result.

This car is going to be stunning once finished!

Re-trimming those C pillars looks like a real fiddle, and you've gone about it just as we'd have done by tucking the material under the seal which is real fiddle by yourself, another pair of hands make doing that a good deal less difficult and much quicker, good job!

Have you got to tackle re- trimming the roof yourself or is there a liner?

Edit... Just gone back a page and can see there's a head liner.

I also removed all the black tar stuff from the back of my S2 carpet. It made a huge difference in weight, went from about 20kg down to 3kg.

To start with I was driving it completely stripped out, I'd even removed all the factory sound proofing from the floor and it was very spartan, and tinny sounding. The original carpet was ruined so I got a decent replacement from 'Audi Bits' and used a pressure washer to strip the black stuff off.

Amazingly just that thin layer was enough to make driving the car enjoyable, plus I didn't have to look at the wiring loom.

That black stuff has a unique smell, which isn't very pleasant. What are you replacing it with?
        Last edited by K Simmonds; 11 January 2023, 14:56.
        1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
        1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
        1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
        1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Cheers Kit.
          I'm replacing the sound proofing with dodo mat and then felt underlay from woolies. Used it on my Avant. It's good stuff
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Nice work as usual Dave. Good to see it coming along nicely

Comment

• Cheers.

Headliner pics. Also put the new speakers in and fitted the parcel shelf plus the rear seatbelts.

I put the sunroof back i n but will have to re fit the crank mechanism as it won't close. I think I must have put it in the wrong way around. I didn't have a pic so it was a 50/50 bet I lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Headliner looks great, did you restore that your yourself if so top work

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                  Headliner looks great, did you restore that your yourself if so top work
                  No, it was in very good condition. Just gave it a good clean.
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Looking really good, there can't be many left that colour?

Comment

• That head liner looks great, coming together nicely, though having to it twice due to the sunroof is pretty irritating to say the least.

Comment

• It's not that bad. Sunroof winder on the Ur is under a small panel and no need to remove the liner again. And liner on Ur isn't glued. Three press clips at the back and then the fittings such as grab handles and visors plus sunroof frame hold it up. And better still, Audi used a different foam under the liner that doesn't seem to degrade into treacle like on the S2
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                          It's not that bad. Sunroof winder on the Ur is under a small panel and no need to remove the liner again. And liner on Ur isn't glued. Three press clips at the back and then the fittings such as grab handles and visors plus sunroof frame hold it up. And better still, Audi used a different foam under the liner that doesn't seem to degrade into treacle like on the S2
                          That's not so bad then, a bit of hassle but to enough to make one cross.

So the foam backing on the headliner which well over 35 years old is more stable than the orange foam of doom we have to deal with on B3/4 cars, that's a result. Perhaps Audi used a better product back then and started using the orange stuff to save money...

I know I'm take all the seats out of my RS2 when I remove the head liner and I'll put dust sheets down on the carpet, getting that stuff on Alcantara is a nightmare and my lining is highly unstable... Currently held up with drawing pins.

Comment

• My A4 and the S2 will both need the headlining doing this year not looking forward to it.

Comment

• Getting mine done by a shop I really can't be arsssed

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
                                Getting mine done by a shop I really can't be arsssed
                                My advice is to remove it yourself and find a really good upholstery place to actually do the liner. Getting a professional finish around the visor holes and sunroof is a real skill and the very strong glue they use can only be purchased in huge 5ltr tins
                                Nothelle S2 Avant
                                Black Ur project
                                Ocianic Ur project gone
                                S2 Coupe project gone
                                Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Working...
                                X