No announcement yet.

jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well that would imply i am getting mine soon, i think i ordered at most a week later.

Edit: murphy's law. Getting delivered today and i'm gone for the rest of the week lol.
    Last edited by ottawa coupe; 12 February 2024, 13:07.
    1993 UrS4...aka the rocket powered living room

Comment

• Originally posted by ottawa coupe View Post
      Well that would imply i am getting mine soon, i think i ordered at most a week later.

Edit: murphy's law. Getting delivered today and i'm gone for the rest of the week lol.
      haha, great timing. They marked mine as requiring a signature.
      2001 A4 Avant QMS - FXK04'd
      1991 Audi CQ - Project
      1996 A4 12v Quattro Manual - SOLD

Comment

• I have a patient wife lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ottawa coupe View Post
          I have a patient wife lol
          We all need one of those!

Today, I had some time in the shop and was able to get a couple coilovers on. Had to stop because I need to find some of these step washers, or whatever they're called. They supplied 8 and need another 8. Used for the 12mm B3 knuckle/upright bolts.

Front left

Rear left

Some comparisons to my DIY set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

• Can you share a close up picture of those washers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Cqbolidas View Post
              Can you share a close up picture of those washers?
              These are the only ones I have at the moment, but can take some more later.

ID 12mm
              Sleeve OD 14mm
              Shoulder thickness 2mm
              Overall diameter ??

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

• So I will need 4pcs per coilover right?

Comment

• I wouldn't get tooooo hung up on this. Get some large od 12mm heavy washers and you'll be fine.

Comment

• When we do stuff like this on the tractor linkage we use a steel bush. It just needs to fit snug in the hole with the correct internal diameter and be the right length so it's flush with flats on the strut.
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

So I will need 4pcs per coilover right?
                      Yes, 4 per coilover that have 12mm bolts. BC told me S2's don't need them. So, I would infer that the rear knuckles all have 14mm bolts. US spec CQ's have 12mm bolts on both the front and the rear.

Originally posted by ottawa coupe View Post
                      I wouldn't get tooooo hung up on this. Get some large od 12mm heavy washers and you'll be fine.
                      Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                      When we do stuff like this on the tractor linkage we use a steel bush. It just needs to fit snug in the hole with the correct internal diameter and be the right length so it's flush with flats on the strut.
                      Yeah, I agree. I was just trying to get them to send me some. I have an Amazon delivery waiting for me when I get home from a work trip. I ordered a 12mm ID / 1mm thickness rod that I plan to cut to length.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

• You can get some extra of those from BC racing, I just ordered 8 more pieces.
                        You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                        This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

You can get some extra of those from BC racing, I just ordered 8 more pieces.
                          Nice. I did get an email from them saying they are sending me some of those. I wonder if they added them to their catalogue...because I had to exchange several emails explaining the issue and that they were for a NA CQ.
                          1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

• Got tired of waiting for those bushings, so I made some, like Dave suggested.

Work has been crazy busy and the weekends full of non-car-related activities. But I was able to finish up the coilover install.

The first time I set her down, it was too low for me. I wasn't able to get a finger in between the tire and fender.

First adjustment and I have about a finger's width of gap now. We'll see how they settle…I might want a little more clearance.

In the short trips I've taken, the ride quality on these BC coilovers is sooo much better than my DIY coilovers. At this ride height, it rides nice and smooth…thanks to how the ride is adjusted on these (IMO).

Honestly, the problem with the old ones were probably of my own doing. Pretty sure some properly spec'd springs would have made a huge difference. Before I totally removed them, I removed the springs up front and raised the wheel/tire to its ride height. And there was very little travel. That and no bump stops results in a harsh ride.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

• So, I've had the coupe out for a few runs and everything seems to be doing well...up until the point the engine bay starts to heat up and my brakes start dragging. After things cool down or I spray down the master cylinder with water from a spray bottle, it does release the pressure. It looks like a new MC is in my future, unless anyone knows of a trick to handle this problem. Bad part is, the MC I have was purchased a few years ago, but only has a few miles on it. It was whatever cheap one they had at Rock Auto at the time...Centric iirc. I see 2 options available currently 1)Dynamic Friction for ~$150 or 2)ATE for ~$300.

While I was waiting for things to cool off, I threw on the front bumper and lights. A new windshield and paint for the front bumper are next on my list.

1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

• Took almost a month to get it from Florida to Alberta.
                                still waiting for coilovers though
                                You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                                This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X