jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jbrentd's 2nd Chance CQ

Hey all, I thought I would start a thread over here on for my CQ. I've been a member on here for a while, but never started a build thread of my own. I live in the US, more specifically, Northeast Oklahoma.

I originally bought the car back in Feb 2010 from the Milwaukee area. Owned it for 4 years and did a decent amount of maintenance and rehab work to it.

Day I brought it home

Came with a crunched up spot on the driver's side (that was fun).

Here are some highlights from the first time I owned it...
    • Timing belt job
    • Spec Stg 3 clutch
    • Euro front/rear bumpers and 1-piece headlights (relayed)
    • All new audio components
    • Replace heater core and rebuilt the airbox
    • Pearl white respray & some body repair
    Not long after I had it repainted, I bought an A6 and the coupe didn't get much road time. I didn't want to see it sit in the driveway getting unused, so I I sold it in Feb 2014. It was looking like this.

After selling it, I quickly started to regret that decision. Since then, my oldest is off to college and my youngest is driving and I am finding more free time to work on a project again. So, in mid 2018 I contacted the guy I sold it to and found that it has been sitting in his garage for a couple of years. He was driving it for a while, but put it away when it developed a low end knock. He has a couple other projects going and was willing to let it go. So, I bought it back. While he owned it, he did a few things like finishing the DIY coilovers that I had all of the parts for, getting the A/C system working again, and some odd and ends.

As it turns out, the "low end knock" was a bent rod and a bunch of bent valves from it jumping some teeth on the timing belt. I suspect a bunch of mud dauber nest debris as the reason for it being out of time.

In my search for a replacement engine, I was offered a free, low mileage 7A. Was hoping to find a 20vt, but thought the 7A was the quickest way to get it up and running again. So, I started down the path of swapping in the replacement 7A.

Took this opportunity to swap a Dave Kase recharged bomb.

Just in time to celebrate getting the coupe back on the road, I found my long-term swap solution...lol. A friend and I bought a '91 200. I wanted all of the parts for the 3B swap and he needed more body and interior stuff for his project, so it worked out for us both. Wish I had found it first, but that's how it goes sometimes. I learned a lot with my first swap.

I managed to get some Euro bits. 3B S2 intercooler and crossmember and an RS2 fan shroud to go with the 3B high powered fan. I need to figure out the wiring side of this.

After a few months of just enjoying her, I recently started to work on the 3B.

How she sits currently...

Sorry for the long post. I look forward to spending more time on the forum.

Thanks
    Brent
    2001 A4 Avant QMS - FXK04'd
    1991 Audi CQ - Project
    1996 A4 12v Quattro Manual - SOLD

Great looking car and nice thread, looking forward to updates.
    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
    96 URS6 plus speck estate
    94 2.6 80 Avant
    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

Welcome and don't apologise. Enjoyed it all
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nice !

Comment

Thanks for the kind welcome.

I dropped off the head with a local reputable machine shop, today, to get it cleaned up, decked and new valve seals. Hopefully, it’ll be crack free and good to go for a long time. It’ll get 7A cams upon re-assembly.

I’ve read about different valve angles that can improve performance, but I have no idea what I would tell the guy, other than the factory specs. Any advice?

I am starting to collect parts...in mass. Upper and lower gasket/seal sets, new brake pads/rotors, caliper rebuild kits, ball joints, engine/tranny/diff mounts, etc, etc. I already have all the AKMS poly bushings waiting on the workbench.

Also looking at what is needed for relocating the batter to the rear. And I need to find a 3B S2 oil filter housing so I can keep the AC compressor in the stock 7A location. If anyone has a lead on one of those, please let me know. I see several on eBay.de, but not sure what the going rate for them are.

My wallet is hurting. [emoji23]
          1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Great write up, interested to know some more about the bomb refurb if you have them?

If you want to you can get the 7A head machined to accept the pickup for the hall sender on the cam and other elements so its easier to fit direct ignition coils too.
            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Looks like a great project, good luck with it
              96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_S View Post
                Great write up, interested to know some more about the bomb refurb if you have them?

If you want to you can get the 7A head machined to accept the pickup for the hall sender on the cam and other elements so its easier to fit direct ignition coils too.
                I guess it’s not really a refurb, more of a recharge along with adding a valve. My brakes were really improved after I had that done...working like they should.

http://www.audibombs.com/

You can see the valve in that picture I posted.

As for the head modification, I have thought about that, but I think I’ll be sticking with the distributor, at least for a while. My power goals are pretty modest. Plus, the harness I have is from a 3B.

Thanks
                Brent
                Last edited by jbrentd; 13 January 2020, 14:31. Reason: correction
                1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Some of us live for those decent longer posts (with a good cuppa, as the hosts here might say); and second chances. Welcome.

Comment

Thanks Brent. I'll check them out. My brakes are loads better since I replaced a pinched seal in the caliper but Ive been chasing down an issue with the PAS reservoir draining and refilling on startup
                    Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Lago Blue View Post
                      Some of us live for those decent longer posts (with a good cuppa, as the hosts here might say); and second chances. Welcome.
                      Cuppa joe? Or something stronger? Thanks
                      1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Thanks Brent. I'll check them out. My brakes are loads better since I replaced a pinched seal in the caliper but Ive been chasing down an issue with the PAS reservoir draining and refilling on startup
                        I plan to rebuild my calipers too when she goes on stands for the swap.
                        1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

So, I have some questions about silicone hoses for coolant and intake piping. For some background, I have an S2 3B IC and crossmember and I plan to use the stock afterrun pump. Need to do some mock ups, but thought I would ask anyway.

Is it possible to get everything to work with a combination of 200 and CQ parts? If not, which ones don't work?

Or should I just bite the bullet and get all new silicone parts from DO88? (S2 3B pressure hoses, coolant hoses and turbo inlet hose) How's the quality of their stuff?
                          1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

I can’t speak for DO88 but the roosemotorsport ones are used by lots on the forum
                            Greg

Comment

I can’t speak for DO88 but the roosemotorsport ones are used by lots on the forum
                              Thanks for the info!
                              1991 Audi CQ - Project

Comment

Working...
                              X