Project Corona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Corona

So it’s been a while since i have needed to do much related to the engine of the S2, mainly because it was completely rebuilt by DJones A few years back following a particularly fun ADI, where i toasted the bottom end driving round on track rubber all day.

Everything has been leak-free ever since bar a power-steering pump failure and leak Of the stinky, sticky G00. However age rather than miles means time for a cambelt change and an opportunity to have a decent poke about...

On the list of jobs following a good look over:
    replacement of the coolant pipework
    replacement of the breather pipes
    removal of redundant a/c pipework to ease access around rear of the engine and behind drivers-side front wing
    replace the rear diff oil seals
    Attached Files
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

The small bore rubber hose connecting to the metal line that runs around the front of the head was shot, as i remove the clips it was split, so count myself lucky it hasn't let go earlier And stranded me or toasted the engine!

A good poke about revealed that the breather hoses were well past their best and in particular the t shaped rubber hose hidden behind the head which always goes mushy. To be fair this was one of the first things i bought and replaced on the car since i owned it from July 2000 so its done ok

Having removed the radiator, some of the coolant hoses were looking like they were also past their best and some of the zinc plated jubilee clips had left their corrosion all over the hose too, so started to rip these out and ordered fresh replacements from Roose for them and the breathers.

Attached Files
    sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

With all the intake plumbing removed, checked and cleaned ready for reassemble with new clips and vac hose, time for a nose about the exhaust side of the bay. One consistent weak-point on the coolant circuit is the rigid line from the underside of the k24 back to the nipple on the head which has a small length of rubber hose on the end.

The heat cycles take their toll here and the jubilee clip was toast and a small weep was evident...this is the 2nd or 3rd time i have found this...i will replace this with a hnss clip to hopefully better deal with the harsh conditions under the manifold. Also appeared that some of the washers used on the braided oil return lines need to be replaced too as they are being attacked with corrosion...so much for oem quality
      Attached Files
      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Be careful... A friend started using his lockdown time to deal with a leaky o ring in his water manifold... Last week I leant him my engine crane and now his engine is out and on a stand!

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
          Be careful... A friend started using his lockdown time to deal with a leaky o ring in his water manifold... Last week I leant him my engine crane and now his engine is out and on a stand!
          Well......in for a penny in for a pound
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nice wrench by the way
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
              Nice wrench by the way
              available to forum members for a nominal fee Shortly
              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by steve briance View Post
                easy done right i am thinking about whether to change the clutch at the moment while it just fuel lines connected. Also need to wait best part of 4 weeks for the Roose hoses it seems.
                sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

That’s the challenge with projects like this , one job leads to another..
                  Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Looks like you’ve been busy. Just dropped mine off at my garage going for a thorough check on everything to make sure all is good.

Comment

Well......in for a penny in for a pound

...and here we are. Waiting to grab a hoist to get the engine out and do the clutch, two new wings ordered, new slam panels to come then, after 20years of ownership, she is going to be painted and hopefully returned to her original, pearlmutweiss glory. Still havent finished the timing belt change due to my back but some gentle spannering can now recommence
                      sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Nice one. Get a friend to tighten the cam bolt for you. It not a good idea for you to try with your back!
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

Nice one. Get a friend to tighten the cam bolt for you. It not a good idea for you to try with your back!
                          Bloody good point
                          sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

And get someone else to faff around with that passenger side diff seal

Comment

Bit of dismantling today, cleaning out the gunk of g002000 which was all over the nearside and gritty. Nasty stuff at the best of times. Fair bit of surface rust and paint flake...
                              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                              This gallery has 3 photos.
                              sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X