Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had a trip out to Whitby same roads as the one to Scarborough. Also same sort of driving condition, but the roads were wet on the drive back. Anyway with the vacuum pipes change the MPG is now up again this time 33.2MPG. More than happy with that.
    latest_,mpg.jpg

Will be performing a boost leak check this week, so will see if that brings any issues up.

Comment

• Some lovely roads up there bud bet you enjoyed the drive, where you based

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
        Thanks will take a look at the pins again. As they look plated I don't want to clean them as it were. Will take a look at ekta and see what type they are and get some ordered.
        Get the gold plated pins from error 404 Alex

Comment

• Originally posted by Rikki Kitto View Post
          Some lovely roads up there bud bet you enjoyed the drive, where you based
          Darlington. So down the A66, passed Middlesbrough and on the A171 all the way to Whitby. Unfortunately it was busy there and back only real passing point was birk brow bank.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
            Thanks will take a look at the pins again. As they look plated I don't want to clean them as it were. Will take a look at ekta and see what type they are and get some ordered.
            Get the gold plated pins from error 404 Alex

Comment

• If you need tuning one of the top men in the country is next door to you, Automark UK, he live mapped mine on the road top bloke just outside Middlesbrough

Comment

• The car has already been to Automark. He checked the car over a few weeks after I purchased it. It's also going again this month for a full alignment.

Comment

• 33 MPG is great going, your car must be running very well, I'd be chuffed with that!

Have only heard good things regarding Automark.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• The unknown fix to the central locking system was just temporary. A few days later it came back, then went away for another couple of days then came back and the fault continued. After taking about the contacts on the MAF and how they can give faulty readings I decided to take the door cards of again and look at the contacts on both plugs
                    connecotrs.jpg

Sure enough both the pins and the plugs were covered in oxidation. Used a needle file on the plugs and a emery board on the pins. After cleaning both side the locking immediately started working perfectly again. As I've only touch these 4 plugs and it's all working again I'm now sure this is where the fault is or was. So hoping that cleaning the connectors has cured the issue. If I'm still having issues then I'll re-pin all the plugs.

Comment

• Cool, very good news.

Pins in plugs are plated, so either best to replace or use a chemical to clean the plating gently (contact cleaner, surprisingly enough) or you remove the plating and the oxide will return, and this time be in the base metal.

The alternative for you now is to fill the contact with vaseline and click it back on, and should last your lifetime.

Comment

• I'll get replacements on order if they are plated. Just want to make 100% sure that this is going to fix the fault.

Comment

• Fingers crossed it does!

Often I have found similar to you, tbh, just disassemble, wiggle, and things start working again.

Comment

• Very glad to hear you got to the bottom of this one, as you mentioned in a PM it was driving you crazy, it would me too!

I'll say it again, perhaps invest in a tin or DeoxitD5.

Not just for old connections but also new as it lubricates and projects them, as far I'm concerned the stuff is like tinned magic when it comes to electronics.

Comment

• Yes, I'll invest in a can. Think I as go around connections I get them cleaned up as this is not going to be the last plug that is suffering from oxidisation and other contamination.

Comment

• Good plan.

Comment

Working...
                                X