Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No idea if the last owner is has been or has registered on the forum. I hope not has I have slated him enough

I did not mind the NGK sensor but preferred the Bosch one. It was also cheaper as well.

Comment

• Well in my opinion anyone who has a '(not at all) Superchips' set up on their car deserves slating. Has to be the worst aftermarket set up I've seen by some considerable margin. You could probably trick one into making as much power with a £20 bleed valve.

Sent from my SM-A115F using Tapatalk

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Received the Bosch Lambda sensor this morning, so cracked on removing the old one. It put up a hell of a fight. My lambda removal tool would not touch it. It just started spreading apart at the bottom of the socket and slipping on the nut. Thankfully found a more heavy duty removal tool at Machine Mart that did the trick.

Does not look in the best of condition and 2 out of the 3 holes were almost blocked.
        1-lambda.jpg

If I'm reading this right it was manufactured week 51 1994 so the original sensor for the car.
        2-lambda.jpg

Went back to the garage that tested the car and now the emissions excellent and well below the limit. He was surprised by how much the car has improved.

I'm stilling to looking at changing all the rubber the vacuum lines and pressure test the boost hoses. However it does not look to be the cause of my issues as along with the improvement on emissions the fuel economy has also improved and it's back to normal if not better.

Comment

• Once again sorry B5NUT for posting on your thread about something that dosen´t relate to your car but as a conclusion to my AC problems. Last friday I removed my condenser and took it to a repair shop, it was ready yesterday, 3 leaks found and repaired, instaled it today morning and got it regassed and it is now working.

By the way great job you´ve done, you should be proud after so many hours and sore knuckles to be able to drive such an awsome motor.

Comment

• Excellent news!

MAF pins certainly look ok, but then they always do. The tiniest bit of corrosion, just where the pin makes contact and passes the current, adds a little resistance which can screw the air mass reading. Just bear it in mind if you get any mixture adaptation codes, or the car starts feeling a bit limp and using more fuel.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

• Indeed those MAF connections can be highly problematic, I twist mine ever so slightly with some fine nosed pliers or a pick to ensure good contact. I dare say a squirt of Deoxit D5 wouldn't go amiss as well, will be doing that as well from now on.

Comment

• Thanks will take a look at the pins again. As they look plated I don't want to clean them as it were. Will take a look at ekta and see what type they are and get some ordered.

Comment

• Good idea to at least get a set of terminals as spares, they're pretty easy to replace.

I know it's yet more expense but perhaps investing in a can of Deoxit D5 would be a good idea for ensuring good continuity between connections, I'm yet to use it on anything automotive but it works wonders of Hifi electronics. A 5oz tin will probably last you for life.

Comment

• Thanks kit. Will take a look at that along with the pressure testing and replacement of the vacuum pipes. Had a run out this morning as I needed some paint. Total of 36 miles light traffic and an mixture of 30, 50 & 70 and keeping to the speed limit I got an impressive 28.5 which is the best I've ever seen from the car so far. I'm not really that bothered about MPG but it shows the car is running well, which I what I'm mainly interested in.
                    mpg.jpg

Comment

• Well that's a result!

28.5 for the type of driving you describe is actually really good, you must have a fairly light right foot, which is no bad thing.

It's nice when a simple quick fix results in a problem completely disappearing.

Watch out for the Posty today mate, he has a special package for you...

Comment

• It arrived safe and sound along with my tradition order with the parts that will hopefully fix my intermittent BOM warning light.

I've already started the other work and I'm about 1% of the way through O well it will keep me out of trouble for awhile.

Comment

• Glad to hear it got to you safely. You've got your work cut out there! But the classic Audi world with thank you for it, in fact you'll deserve a medal by the time you've finished that task.

If you need any pointers on using the leak test kit please let me know. I modified mine so I could also pressurise just the inlet manifold should I want to which is really what you need to do in order to test the small bore pipe work or at least the vast majority of it.

Comment

• Over the last few days I've been I've been trying to paint the spare set of of B-pillar trims I got. The first spay job using epoxy then a satin clear coat did not go well. Excluding a small run in the clear the satin clear coat just had far to much gloss to it, and overall I was not happy with the result. So they got sanded back down and some other paint was found. In the end I went with a paint called Lechler LS130 TECNOGRIP. Nice and easy to mix as you just add 30% thinners to the volume of paint you are mixing. Goes on with a 1.8 tip and results are not that bad. My main concern is how well it will stand up to UV. If it's bad after a year then will respray them but then overcoat with a 2K matt clear coat.

Will look to fit them tomorrow once the paint has had a chance to fully cure.
                            trims.jpg
                            Last edited by B5NUT; 1 June 2022, 22:25.

Comment

• Fitted the trims to the car today. They look Ok but don't think the paint will hold up to the doors rubbing against them. Think I'm going to have to the original ones shot blasted and powder coated in a similar colour.
                              trims.jpg

Comment

• Maybe you could have them vinyl wrapped?
                                Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

Working...
                                X