Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spent 1/2 an hour trying to get the middle & upper cap head screws out with a 5mm allen key, turns out they were 4mm on my car. Nothing on this car has been straight forward. Still both door cards are now off.

Comment

• '96 Coupe tyre pressure sticker from tailgate. IMG_3658.jpeg

Comment

• Thanks that's a big help. I know why I could not find the sticker as my car at some point in it's life has had a full respray. So 36PSI it is

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
          Spent 1/2 an hour trying to get the middle & upper cap head screws out with a 5mm allen key, turns out they were 4mm on my car. Nothing on this car has been straight forward. Still both door cards are now off.
          Oh bother, sorry mate, glad you got there in the end...

I've just looked in my tool box and I've got cut off 4mm and 5mm Allen keys for this job, so thinking about it I must have come across both sizes at some point, I know the two front clamping one's on my RS2 are 5mm as I checked this morning and for some reason the back one is a Philips head, perhaps someone's been in there before me, God knows!

Edit..

Just gone back and noticed I also somehow managed to do a double post as opposed edit a single post while using my phone, durrr. I'll go back and tidy it up a bit and edit my guide to say 4mm or possibly 5mm Allen head fixings in case anybody else try's follow it.
          Last edited by K Simmonds; 19 March 2022, 18:55.
          1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
          1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
          1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
          1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Not a problem Kit. Figured there could be variations in models Avant, Couple, b3, ABY etc. Anyway got sorted. Was a bit of a pig finding the correct angle to get the tools in as well, Also surprise, surprise someone had been in there before as bits were missing and damaged Still all sorted now and another job off the list.
            Last edited by B5NUT; 19 March 2022, 21:07.

Comment

• Also can anyone recommend a radio to fit the car, was looking for one with DAB & bluetooth and does not cost too much (under £200)

Comment

• Took the car out for a small drive this morning, tracking is all over the place as expected, but the car worked and drove without fault thankfully.

The lower trims were painted and put on the car this morning
                1-trims.jpg
                2-trims.jpg

Found I had some paint that I used on the A4 to restore some of it's trims so used this stuff
                3-paint.jpg
                4-paint.jpg

When I took the door cards I made a note of the angle of the allen key, as I was poking around for a while in there trying to get it on the socket head.
                5-allen.jpg
                6-allen.jpg

Will look to paint the lower sill's today as they are looking a bit faded.
                Last edited by B5NUT; 20 March 2022, 09:09.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post

When I took the door cards I made a note of the angle of the allen key, as I was poking around for a while in there trying to get it on the socket head.
                  Everyone does that! There should be a little plastic tube in there to guide the Allen key but they’re fragile and I’ve never seen one unbroken..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post

Everyone does that! There should be a little plastic tube in there to guide the Allen key but they’re fragile and I’ve never seen one unbroken..
                    Nor me, it's always a bit of a faff getting the Allen key located, I remember being baffled the first time a tackled one with no instructions whatsoever.
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Found 2 of them damaged when I took the handles off, and they just fell off when the handle was removed.
                      1-damaged.jpg

Comment

• Yep

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                        sigpic

Comment

• Painted the sill's yesterday, my absolute pet hate is masking cars, but I know overspray get's absolutely everywhere so it was well covered.
                          1-mask.jpg
                          2-mask.jpg
                          After the spay job I was not that happy with the result, as the paint looked too glossy. Guess I was not giving the paint enough of a chance to cure.
                          3-nothappy.jpg

Anyway after being left for 24 hours, it looks far better
                          4-happy.jpg

Also had another play with the alignment. Steering wheel was way off centre when I took it out for a drive yesterday morning. After another hour or so of playing around this morning it's now near enough after another quick drive. Looking forward to Friday and getting it fully aligned.
                          Last edited by B5NUT; 21 March 2022, 20:21.

Comment

• It's looking really good!!

Who are you using for the alignment?

Comment

• A company called VASSTECH they are on the industrial estate near Morton park. Was hoping to get it booked in with Automark in Stokesley but he is fully booked until May.

Comment

• So was looking at replacing the injectors with another set that I've had refurbished thanks to LSG. Was reading another thread about replacing injectors and it sounds an easy enough job but the 2pin connectors have known break apart according to that thread. Wondering if it's best fit new connectors while I'm there. It would be a pain to see one of these break then have to wait days for a replacement, and they don't cost that much.

Comment

Working...
                                X