Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have to say you doing a cracking job sorting all the bits out on your S2

Comment

• Cheers. I'm a bit OCD about parts not working or broken on cars, and the aircon not working has annoyed me for months. So it has to be fixed. Just a shame about the costs involved.

Comment

• On my 80 Competition we had the same problem filling the AC. Nothing fit the low pressure switch. We had aa modern machine, that you just type in how much gas and oil you want to fill. We filled it through the high pressure port istead. Worked just fine.
        ​​​​
        Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

• Well done for learning tig that quickly! I have been stick and mig welding for years now and even went to evening classes. I still struggle with tig and gas welding. You must be a natural.
          Nothelle S2 Avant
          Black Ur project
          Ocianic Ur project gone
          S2 Coupe project gone
          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Cheers Dave, but I think the welder has made the job far easier. There are lots of preprogramed setting depending on the thickness of the metal you are welding, and you can adjust the setting very easily. There are also some very good YouTube videos that r-tech have made that give you the settings for the correct thickness or metal you are welding. Without that information I would have not had a chance at setting up the welder correctly.

What I really need now is a good metal bench and loads of clamps. I had to weld that pipe while it was clamped in a vice and my arm hovering in the air. Would have made it far more easier if my arm was resting on a bench. Going to sell my floor standing 150 litre parts washer that I never use and get a decent metal table in it's place.

Got the A/C system gassed today. Had to tighten the belt a little as it was slipping, and we found one slight leak on a joint that after taking apart and cleaning the leak was fix. It's been a lot of time, effort and far to much money. However I finally have working AC.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post

Got the A/C system gassed today. Had to tighten the belt a little as it was slipping, and we found one slight leak on a joint that after taking apart and cleaning the leak was fix. It's been a lot of time, effort and far to much money. However I finally have working AC.
              Well done! I removed mine years ago after spending a load of money and getting nowhere..

Now you’ll be thinking about converting to climate control, a few on here have done it

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• Don't start. I did think about it but I've just about enough of ripping the car apart. It's time to just enjoy it now. I do have some body work trims I want to respray and the b-pillar trims to respray and a few annoying internal rattles. Then I'm done for the summer.

This afternoon the subframes are getting some extra internal coating.
                1-wax.jpg

Comment

• More excellent work here Lee, great stuff!

You did an amazing job on that pipe for someone with so little practice, I know you've got a cracking machine but still that's impressive, as Dave says you must be a natural when it comes to welding. Yep, you need to acquire a welding bench, you'll work will be even better then.

Your engine looks to be in great shape inside, really nice and clean, must have been looked after with regular oil changes.
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• The oil pressure switch was leaking so much there they must have had to top up the oil every few hundred miles. The bottom of the engine and the underside around and including the exhaust was covered in oil. I've also done about 3 oil changes since I got the car, and I've done less than 1000 miles. So it's been well flushed.

Was a nice sunny day so went out for a drive. Car is working very well. Also think I have more confidence with the car. It's no longer overheating, coolant leak is fixed and it drives very well. Think I will order the koni shocks for the rear, just to balance the car out. It feels good enough but there is always that thought in the back of my mind it could be better.

Comment

• There isn't a sticker under the hood with the filling quantity?

JW
                      | project | 1993 Audi 80 VR6 turbo quattro |
                      | daily | 2006 BMW E91 335d | 385bhp 735Nm |

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                        On a side note does anyone know how much oil and gas needs to go in the system? I've got the filling quantities for R12, but I'm sure the R134 values are different.
                        750 to 800 for the gas and 250 to 300ml for the PAG or PAO oil.

The low-side port for the A/C is in the passenger footwell to the right of the ECU, up high and difficult to access which is why nobody ever finds it. You're not meant to use the screw fitting on the compressor for the low-side port (some compressors don't have one) but of course you can. Back in the day folks would do everything through the high-side port which is perfectly possible as long as you don't start the engine and turn the A/C on whilst filling if you're using an aerosol can refill

These days with the automated A/C refill machines it's harder to find someone who can fat finger in the codes to get the system to use only the high-side port but I'm pleased that you've got the A/C up and running.

If you want to go the climate control route look at my avatar and get in touch; given what you've done so far, it's not hard and I love it.

Comment

• Originally posted by struikie View Post
                          There isn't a sticker under the hood with the filling quantity?

JW
                          Yes there is. I just found it
                          1-sticker.jpg

Everything I have so far read on the forum talked about the cars running R12, so was surprised to see mine running R134. Even the technical data that that the garage had on my car stated R12. I used the values from this post https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...736#post389736 so looks like I'm OK on the amount the garage put in my car.

Comment

• Originally posted by johne View Post

750 to 800 for the gas and 250 to 300ml for the PAG or PAO oil.

The low-side port for the A/C is in the passenger footwell to the right of the ECU, up high and difficult to access which is why nobody ever finds it.
                            So got the correct amounts in the car and so far the A/C is working.

To get access to the port do I just need to remove the lower cover where the ECU. I never noticed a port there but then again I was not looking for one.

The system was pressure tested first as the garage owner said the vacuum test does not always find leaks. So the system was put under pressure, where we found the one and only leak on the system. Once that was fixed the system when through and automated vacuum, leak test then filled. Everything passed OK.

In future A/C services I will use the correct low pressure port. will have a good look for it tomorrow.

Comment

• 1994 was the last year the car manufacturers could use R12, had to be R134a from then on. Saab moved earlier but most waited until '94 to switch so that means it was R12 for nearly all the production run of our cars and the technical data reflects that.

Comment

• My December 21, 1993 80 B4 is R134a.

JW
                                | project | 1993 Audi 80 VR6 turbo quattro |
                                | daily | 2006 BMW E91 335d | 385bhp 735Nm |

Comment

Working...
                                X