Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If someone removed that relay they did it for a reason. Probably because the after run relay (under the steering wheel) is faulty and the low speed fan was coming on after the car was left and ran the battery flat. Had this on my Avant. There is a zender diode in the relay that fails. This relay is important however as it controls cooling after you switch off following a spirited drive and without it the turbo can overheat.
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I did test it this morning, and the fan switch on and off with the A/C switch. It was off when I switched the engine off. However I never got car to temperature. So will need to test that. When I got the car it originally had a relay in radiator fan delay position but was told this was wrong for the ABY and that relay should be in the radiator fan relay position. So I moved it. So only the fuse was missing from position 20.

I will have a look for one of them relays, but I bet they are NLA. At least I know how to disable it if there is another fault with the other relay, then I'll look to replace it or repair it if possible. It's also good to know I don't have a wiring fault, as broken wires are far harder to find and fix.

Comment

• You can still get the relay from Audi Tradition but sit down before you see the price
        If you leave the car overnight and the fan doesn't come on you are good
        Nothelle S2 Avant
        Black Ur project
        Ocianic Ur project gone
        S2 Coupe project gone
        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Is that relay easy to find, as these are the only relays all I can see. I saw another thread about a zener diode relay and that was brown in colour
          1-relay.jpg
          2-relay.jpg
          3-relay.jpg

Also I have this lose plug, but could not find anything to plug it into
          4-plug.jpg

Comment

• It's that one you can see. 324. They come in black and brown.
            Don't worry about the plug. They all seem to have a few spare. I think it's probably for options you didn't have.
            Nothelle S2 Avant
            Black Ur project
            Ocianic Ur project gone
            S2 Coupe project gone
            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave. Your a true fountain of knowledge

Comment

• I’ll leave these here

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                sigpic

Comment

• Thanks for that information. I've now ran the car for the last few days, and the fan only comes on when I press the A/C switch. However I have also sourced a replacement relay and some of them diodes, as I'm sure it will fail at some point.

So other than just driving the car I'm now working my way through all the rattles in the car. That's going to take a while as there are a good few of them..

Comment

• Excellent work! I really need to post a few updates on my project.

Do you still have a lot of the under carpet insulation you used left over? I'll definitely be needing some soon.

Comment

• Yes, I've got loads of the stuff left over. Let me know if you need some.

Comment

• The other week I was at my local paint suppliers with the S2 as I wanted to get a paint match for the satin black B pillar trims. They got a new range of paints from a company called Mipa, and with that they received a very nice colour spectrum analyser. Using that on the car gave a modified version of the original colour of the car (LZ6U) Emerald Green. So it's no wonder why I could not get a good match. Had 1/4 of a litre of the paint mixed up and yesterday sprayed up a test area on the old rotten wing.

Note the "corrected" under the paint code
                        5-paint.jpg

So only painted a small area to check the colour match on the old rotten wing
                        1-paint.jpg

Few more from different angles.
                        2-paint.jpg
                        4-pint.jpg
                        So I think that's as best as I'm going to get it. I cannot really notice any difference. So over the next few weeks I'll have a fair bit of painting to do as I also want to sort out the door mouldings as they have been damaged in the past by someone trying the pry them off!

Comment

• Another little job ticked off the list over the weekend. Fix a couple of trim panels that had alloy corrosion.
                          1-trims.jpg
                          2-trim.jpg

Parts were shot blasted and the faces were sanded as the corrosion has caused some pitting.
                          3-trim.jpg

Parts were then sprayed with a primer, black base coat, top coat and finally few coats of 2K clear.
                          4-trims.jpg
                          They need a bit of polishing but unless the boot is open you will never see them

Colour match is also very good
                          5-trim.jpg

Also fixed the bodge job the screen fitters left for me as they are still waiting on rivets, which is strange as I got them next day from TPS. So it appears they snapped the clips on the inner A pillar trim, rivets were missing and other not drilled out and stubs had been left in. Also found Torx head screws holding the black door frame trim in place rather than rivets. Took most of yesterday afternoon and this morning to sort the mess out. I'm sure the other side in the same but ran out of rivets, so have ordered some more. So will inspect that next week. I really do hate other people working on my cars.

Comment

• Over the last few weeks I've really been enjoying the car. However I took it off the road a few days ago as I found a very small coolant leak at the back of the engine. It was also clear the rocker cover gasket was starting to go as it there was a fair amount of oil at the back of the engine.

Before I tackled the above jobs I got on with the aircon system as I got some parts from kit to help get the system working again. So fitted a replacement compressor with replacement lower pipes that were free from holes.
                            1-pump.jpg
                            So with that done I went off to get the system gassed. Which did not go well. First there was some confusion about how the system was filled as the low pressure side port is a screw thread rather than the push fit on the R134 systems. So went with just testing the system using the high pressure port. That found another sizable hole behind the protective on the pipe in the image below as you can see some of the green oil that was spat out.
                            2-cover.jpg

So at this point I got a little fed up with the car so purchased a new toy to fix that sort of BS.
                            3-welder.jpg
                            After a long talk with the guy's at r-tech I went with the digital version, as it does appear to be easier to setup.
                            4-welder.jpg

So on with fixing the pipe. The hole first hole was easy enough to repair. Once done I noticed the nut at the end would turn but not move down so after a bit of a smack it moved and it presented me with this.
                            5-hole.jpg
                            There was no way my welding skills could have fixed that so near to that lip, so the pipe was scrap!

Thankfully kit had a spare which turned up today. It did have a small hole but was easy enough to fix even with my poor welding skills
                            6-hole.jpg

So after cleaning up the area the hole was welded up. Not the best of jobs but OK for someone with about an hours worth of practice
                            7-fixed.jpg
                            At least now I should be able to fix and make some parts myself. Rather than standing in front of someone with a small job and them, sucking air through their teeth. It's almost like I've just dropped the titanic off for a quick welding job to get it up and running again!

Also purchased these adapters, got two types to see which would be the best fit. Turns out the L shape one is better as there not much room near the compressor. I was concerned the push fit connector would not fit with the straight adapter attached.
                            16-adapters.jpg

Next up on the list was the coolant leak. Looking through the old threads most users have talked about the union being damaged due to it being brittle. So I ordered replacement unions as they are cheap enough and Alex did not have any of the alloy ones in stock.

After draining the coolant system which feels like I've done it hundred time now, the union was removed. It looked to be in very good condition, no cracks or damage and had no signs of being brittle.
                            8-union.jpg

The o-ring however was in a poor state, that was starting to crack and was no longer round. So I refitted the old union with a new o-ring which I hope will resolve the minor coolant leak.

To give better access to the union I removed the heat shield that protects the brake reservoir. It was covered in rust and looked very scabby.
                            9-shield.jpg

The rivets were drilled out and all the parts shot blasted.
                            10-blasted.jpg

The heat shield material was then painted with high temp paint and the steal parts with epoxy. While the Mrs was out I put the parts painted with the high temp paint in the over to cure Once dry the shield was rebuilt.
                            11-cover.jpg12-cover.jpg

Next up was the cam cover gasket. when it was removed it was on the hard/crusty side. However I was pleased with what I found when I removed the cover. It looks nice and clean in there.
                            13-head.jpg

Cam lobs also look in good condition, and the chain appeared to be tight enough.
                            14-lobs.jpg

So with the new gasket fitted the engine was put back together which was as far as I got today before rain stopped play. Hope to get the aircon pipe fitted tomorrow morning along with a new dryer. I just hope that will get the A/C working again.
                            15-engine.jpg
                            Last edited by B5NUT; 6 May 2022, 22:20.

Comment

• Excellent work. One of the first things I did on my old S2 was ditch the AC at the same time as I did the timing belt. No need for it in Scotland and at the time, when these cars were sensible money (haha), the cost of parts to recommission was more than the car.

Comment

• Thanks. I've got used to having A/C working on my cars. However they have all had climate control so will be interesting to see how this manual system works. I just hope there is no further leaks in the pipe work as I have now fitted a replacement dryer so will be annoyed if I have to replace that again. Going to get the system filled in the morning so will see then.

On a side note does anyone know how much oil and gas needs to go in the system? I've got the filling quantities for R12, but I'm sure the R134 values are different.

Comment

Working...
                                X