Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Think I need to do mine again, will tackle when resprayed (something I know I have been talking about for about 5 years!)

Also check for rear accident damage, and leaks through badly seam-sealed seams.... especially under the aforementioned black trim in the corners.

Comment

• P.s. they are a pain, but worth it when they are finally dry.

Also worth considering, a car port or garage to keep them in

Comment

• Been looking closely for accident damage and cannot see any when I removed all the interior trims there was no sign of any repairs. I really am surprised by how many water ingress issues that this car has. With it being a 3 door I would have expected fewer problems not more.

Comment

• A trick of the Audi gods

Comment

• I got one of these to cover the car, as I knew that water was getting in but figured it was the sunroof. The cover is not cheap, but it's kept the car dry and even with the current storms it's stayed in place and I cannot see any damage to the paint work. However I am going to get an indoor cover to place over it then put the outdoor cover over that. just to keep any rubbing to a minimum.

Audi S2 1991 - 1995 WinterPRO Car Cover | Every Car Covered

Comment

• The frameless door doesn’t help matters but it’s not too hard to sort.
              The worst problems have been from the sunroof drip tray migrating south.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

• My S2 has been dry as a bone for the past 3 years....It's on axle stands in the garage. Problem sorted
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk.

Comment

• My A4 is in the garage, so the only option I have is the car cover.

Got on with the underlay today.
                    2-underlay.jpg
                    I'm using a mixture of old and new as the upper sections are in good condition and I would struggle to remake them as the factory ones do appear to have a top coating of resin and are moulded into shape, which I'm not even going to attempt to reproduce.

What I did notice when I got the car with the carpet fitted under the old underlay it was sagging in the front footwells. The image below shows the line where the plastic trim which holds the carpet in place but as the water had got in and damaged/flatted the underlay the carpet started to sag and it no longer fitted under the plastic trim. It was the same on both sides.
                    1-carpet.jpg
                    So tomorrow I wall add some extra layers of underlay to bring it to the the correct hight so the carpet does not sag and miss the plastic trim.

Comment

• I think the carpet has shrunk from the water exposure. Nice job on cleaning it and the underlay cuttings looks nice an neat too.

Comment

• It could have, but I know the underlay has shrunk and fell to bits. Below is a prime example. rather than being about 10mm thick it's about 2mm A drop in thickness like that would cause it to bow, as the damage is all located in the middle of the footwell where the water would pool.
                        1-fewmm.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                          It could have, but I know the underlay has shrunk and fell to bits. Below is a prime example. rather than being about 10mm thick it's about 2mm A drop in thickness like that would cause it to bow, as the damage is all located in the middle of the footwell where the water would pool.
                          1-fewmm.jpg
                          Exactly what happened to mine, double or triple layers needed to bring it back up to height. I used modern closed cell foam underlay on the floor and the original round the sides and tunnel as you’ve done.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                            It could have, but I know the underlay has shrunk and fell to bits. Below is a prime example. rather than being about 10mm thick it's about 2mm A drop in thickness like that would cause it to bow, as the damage is all located in the middle of the footwell where the water would pool.
                            1-fewmm.jpg
                            I always wondered why I could see the top edge of my carpet below the plastic side trim
                            91 Modded 3B
                            14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Finished off the underlay this morning and got the carpet in.

Built up the underlay to the same depth as the air vent
                              1-underlay.jpg
                              2-underlay.jpg

Refitted the carpet, but still found the single 10mm strip along the edge was not enough to stop the carpet from bowing if push down so added an extra 10mm strip
                              3-extra.jpg
                              Refitted the carpets. car no longer has a horrible damp smell, and the carpet fits nicely along the edge, No more sagging, there is enough of that in my life
                              2-carpet.jpg

Started to clean up the interior trim
                              4-mould on trim.jpg

Used hot water mixed with dettol washing detergent, vanish and fairly liquid to clean the trim panels
                              5-clean.jpg

Also replaced all the bulbs, as it's not a 2 minute job to replace them when they fail.

Found these on the harness as well no idea why they needed to extend the harness anyway they have been removed and binned!
                              6-extend.jpg

Comment

• Good work

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X