Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After a quick hover the carpet was hit with a chemical mixture of Vanish, vax carpet solution, dettol laundry & washing up liquid. Then scrubbing, pressure washing and a carpet cleaner it's come up nice and clean. Left it out in the sun and it has dried a little but will have to bring it in the house and get the heaters & dehumidifier on it. Mrs is not going to be happy.
    1-carpet.jpg
    Managed to find some wool underlay locally. As I going to be even further in the doghouse if that carpet has to spend days in the house while I wait for underlay. Looks the same sort of stuff to me just not as green!
    2-underlay.jpg

Downside I had to buy 15m2 meters of the stuffIf anyone needs any underlay just let me know
    3-under.jpg
    Least now I can sort the underlay tomorrow and if the carpet dry's out then that can also be put back in the car. Which equals a happy wife for about 5 minutes!

Last edited by B5NUT; 8 March 2022, 17:36.

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
      Oh hell. That's just reminded me I was supposed to be uploading all the pages of factory data regarding Coupe screen removal/re-fitment for a member in South Africa who waiting on a Pilkington screen to be delivered and fitted, hopefully he's still waiting. I even ordered a tripod to try and make the images from my phones camera clear, that arrived but was junk and I got refund. This was just before Christmas and my most recent adventure into alcoholic land and which made me forget, dam it. Bloody stuff, wish I'd never touched it now. I will have another go in the next 24 hours at getting the info as well as all the diagrams on here, as with that data and the right tools it's not actually that bad, though time could still be an issue for the fitter. I doubt there's a problem with copywrite now. I'll have to come up with some type of home made phone stand using books or something as my hands are nowhere near steady enough any longer to hold my phone totally still for reliable close up's.
      Autoglass are doing the job! Already put them off once due to the weather, but I think I need to go over to the depot and talk to them. If you have any documents that would be great. I would like to read up on the procedure so I know what's going on. I'll be watching them like a hawk, and if I see any rust around where the window frame sits then that's the job stopped and I'll have to fix that before the screen goes back in. Happened on of my old A4 B5 were the screen was replaced. I spotted the rust but never got a chance to fix it. Few year later was letting water in and the rust had spread to the A-post, and was creping around towards the door.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
        After a quick hover the carpet was hit with a chemical mixture of Vanish, vax carpet solution, dettol laundry & washing up liquid. Then scrubbing, pressure washing and a carpet cleaner it's come up nice and clean. Left it out in the sun and it has dried a little but will have to bring it in the house and get the heaters & dehumidifier on it. Mrs is not going to be happy.
        1-carpet.jpg
        Managed to find some wool underlay locally. As I going to be even further in the doghouse if that carpet has to spend days in the house while I wait for underlay. Looks the same sort of stuff to me just not as green!
        2-underlay.jpg

Downside I had to buy 15m2 meters of the stuffIf anyone needs any underlay just let me know
        3-under.jpg
        Least now I can sort the underlay tomorrow and if the carpet dry's out then that can also be put back in the car. Which equals a happy wife for about 5 minutes!
        Mice love that underlay, makes a nice nest. Good job with the carpet. Much harder to get a light coloured carpet clean than black.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• I've always wondered how the hell mice get into cars, seen it a few times on wheeler dealers. For the S2 I cannot think of a single way a mice could get into the interior. Engine bay is another thing plenty of ways to get in. I know my S2 was stored in a barn on a farm and never turned a wheel in around 5/6 years and thankfully no mice issues. There is also no space between the carpet & the underlay so don't think I will ever have problems with it (I hope).

Comment

• There’s a sticky thread about coupe leaks, loads of info although Kit has covered most of the main points.
            My worst leaks have been from the roof edge trims not being put back correctly after screen replacement. Also had a leak behind the heater box which turned out to be a gap between the scuttle panels in the corner, quite a persistent drip. Bonnet pull grommet is common.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
            sigpic

Comment

• https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...er-leak-thread

Some reading for you

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• https://www.s2forum.com/forum/techni...re-water-leaks

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

I've always wondered how the hell mice get into cars, seen it a few times on wheeler dealers. For the S2 I cannot think of a single way a mice could get into the interior. Engine bay is another thing plenty of ways to get in. I know my S2 was stored in a barn on a farm and never turned a wheel in around 5/6 years and thankfully no mice issues. There is also no space between the carpet & the underlay so don't think I will ever have problems with it (I hope).
                  My S2 was stored in me parents garage for 6 years, when I finally got chance to put it back on the road mice had been living in the air box for ages and made a lovely little home out of the filter, felt bad evicting them

Comment

• The other place for leaks not mentioned in those threads is under the coupe hatch bottom seal; it's an Audi design feature and as the water goes on to get inside the rear of the light clusters, the light cluster sealing gets blamed - wrongly.

The substantial black plastic trim piece that runs across the bottom of the hatch opening is fixed with 4 M6 bolts. The holes for the bolt threads go through the bodywork and water runs down past the threads. The outer two bolts are above the rear light clusters so water drips off them directly into the back of the rear light cluster nicely corroding the light cluster connections and making you think the light cluster sealing has failed. Refit the bolts with the threads well sealed with sealant.

Comment

• Originally posted by johne View Post
                      The other place for leaks not mentioned in those threads is under the coupe hatch bottom seal; it's an Audi design feature and as the water goes on to get inside the rear of the light clusters, the light cluster sealing gets blamed - wrongly.

The substantial black plastic trim piece that runs across the bottom of the hatch opening is fixed with 4 M6 bolts. The holes for the bolt threads go through the bodywork and water runs down past the threads. The outer two bolts are above the rear light clusters so water drips off them directly into the back of the rear light cluster nicely corroding the light cluster connections and making you think the light cluster sealing has failed. Refit the bolts with the threads well sealed with sealant.
                      That's very well remembered, I knew there was another one at the back that I'd had to contend with, was racking my brain about this as well! Forgot I did this job on my NG Coupe not my 3B and it fixed the leak into the boot. Perfect write up there johne.

To be fair my brain has been busy today with various extra matters. Yet more fire wood, I measured my heating oil with a dip stick as I didn't believe what the Watchman gauge was telling me (ie I'd used hardly any all winter) to discover I'm very low, good luck getting a quick delivery at the moment! And helping someone with things over on Classic-audi which has cheered me up.
                      1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                      1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                      1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                      1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Thanks will add that to the growing list of area's to check. I'll do the hose test tomorrow as the car is just about stripped from the boot all the way to the dash, so should be able to see any water getting in. One thing I have noticed on the boot is there is slight play on the boot as if the boot catch is not holding it securely to the seal, or the seal has failed and that's causing movement. I would say I'm getting about 1-2mm up and down movement on the lid.

Comment

Thanks will add that to the growing list of area's to check. I'll do the hose test tomorrow as the car is just about stripped from the boot all the way to the dash, so should be able to see any water getting in. One thing I have noticed on the boot is there is slight play on the boot as if the boot catch is not holding it securely to the seal, or the seal has failed and that's causing movement. I would say I'm getting about 1-2mm up and down movement on the lid.
                          The boot lid and seal design on the coupe is rubbish. You can adjust it so it needs a good push down to close it. Still doesn't seem to prevent leaks though
                          Last edited by SteveH; 9 March 2022, 13:13.
                          91 Modded 3B
                          14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveH View Post

The boot lid and seal design on the coupe is rubbish. You can adjust it so it needs a good push down to close it. Still doesn't seam to prevent leaks though
                            Yep, had to do that with mine as well. Even then it can still leak depending what angle the car is parked at. And then there's the noise, my NG Coupe nearly drove me crazy, sounded like a Chipmunk orgy was going on in the boot, even Tiff from Topgear commented on this when he test the first B3 in 1988. Had the same squeaks with my S2 though fitting a straight through 3" system pretty much fixed it on that car.

1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by johne View Post
                              The other place for leaks not mentioned in those threads is under the coupe hatch bottom seal; it's an Audi design feature and as the water goes on to get inside the rear of the light clusters, the light cluster sealing gets blamed - wrongly.

I’m surprised that isn’t in the list at the beginning on the “definitive coupe leak” thread!
                              I screwed those back in with a ring of dumdum underneath and had no problems since.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• You guy's are not filling me with confidence here! Feel's like a purchased an S2 colander

If all else fails I'll stick a few holes in the floor
                                1-water.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X