Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something to check in the morning. The only other thing I did was to wash the wheel arches out. Used a hose not a pressure washer, so wondered if water had got onto a pressure switch, but could not see one on the bomb.

Have got some isopropyl so will clean the contacts on the fuild level switch if possible tomorrow, as I see they are now only available from tradition if i have to get a new one.

Comment

• The pressure switch is on the master cylinder\booster.
      Nothelle S2 Avant
      Black Ur project
      Ocianic Ur project gone
      S2 Coupe project gone
      Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• You don't want to overfill the system. Poor design of the steering system fluid reservoir that you can't see the high / low mark.

If, after the system is warmed up, you open the cap and it overflows, that obviously means too much fluid.

It sounds like your pressure accumulator may need to be serviced.

I've never heard of a sensor going bad on the PAS system.

Comment

• Thanks. The level is on the maximum line but no higher. Had the car out again today and no further warning lights or noise from the dash.

Also some how fixed another problem today. I was checking the resistance of all the ABS sensors and they all appear to be within a similar value. So plugged them all back in and made to sure they where push home in the housing (did some of this this before). Took the car out for a drive and the ABS light no longer appeared, no ABS pulsing when coming to a stop and no further error codes So I have no idea what the issue was but will take that as a win.

Car has just rolled onto 108K miles today and with the ABS fixed I'm starting to get a bit more confidence in the car. Also ordered replacement cluster bulbs and I think I have about 2 that are out. So will replace the lot of them while I'm there. Looking at Etka the cluster uses 1.1W, 1.2W and 2W bulbs so have ordered 3x 10 packs of Osram bulbs as I know when I changed one of them on my A4 the others decided to fail in quick succession.
          1-cluster.jpg

Also the temps on the engine are good, but sill need to fix the low speed AC fan as I hope to get AC working at some point in the next few weeks. Just need to find that last hose.

Comment

• Also another question. The Brembo pads on this car are driving me nuts, what with the brake squeal and the dust they have got to go. So looking for options on different pads. Bigger brakes are unfortunately not an options, as I'm trying to keep the car standard and I just don't have the cash as I need money for other area's of the car.

Comment

• Looking at the instrument cluster I see you have the later style speedo. This is evident by the small torx screws on the Speedo face. Take note that you can not unwind your Speedo needle as per the guide here or you will destroy it! Ask me how I know
              The only way to remove your Speedo pin will be by supporting it firmly using very thin nosed pliers and lever from above. If you put any upward or rotational force on the pin, it will come out with a long thin spring attached ,
              Your faces look good so this job is some way off thankfully.
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave. For the moment I'm not touching the faces. As you say they are in good condition, and will order some replacements for when the day comes they need to be replaced.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                  Thanks Dave. For the moment I'm not touching the faces. As you say they are in good condition, and will order some replacements for when the day comes they need to be replaced.
                  I have a spare set here
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• I fitted EBC pads in my S2. Maybe give them a call also ask them for a discount code see if they can help you out .

Comment

• Looking at those clocks I reckon they have been replaced within the last few years so you shouldn't have to worry for long time bud, when you think the originals are lasting 20 years plus it's a good sign

Comment

• I know some has removed the cluster before as they have damaged the plastic clips on either side The car was stored in a barn for the last 10 years, and in that time it's done a total of 1,148 miles. Before that is was stored in a garage. Not sure what destroys the gauges but I'm guessing it's sunlight or the high temperatures inside the car during the summer months.

I was looking for signs of tampering, damage to clips or tool marks on the screw heads but it all looks fine. If they cannot screw the cluster to the car without breaking the clips then I'm sure they would have damaged something taking the cluster apart and changing the dials. Also the previous owner would have waxed lyrical about the dial getting change as we was proud off all the other bodges done to the car including the fuel lines and exhaust!
                        1-cluster.jpg

Also what is going on with these.. Never in my life have I seen something like this before. It's like trying to fit the worlds smallest condom, and there are 8 of the sodding things to refit. What should have been a 5 minute job turned into 1/2 hour job.
                        2-dom.jpg

Also thought I had got all the bulbs needed for the cluster. Wrong. I'm missing the 1.2W blue cap blubs. Got to try and find some of then tomorrow.

Comment

• You can tell if your cluster has been opened as vdo put a tamper label across the top.
                          The black plastic screw hole surrounds are broken on every single cluster I have seen. I think I it's a weak point.
                          Nothelle S2 Avant
                          Black Ur project
                          Ocianic Ur project gone
                          S2 Coupe project gone
                          Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• IMO it's damp inside the car creating condensation that does for the faces on the speedo etc, any car I've worked on that leaks (almost invariably Coupes) has suffered from flaky faces and the older they are the worse they tend to be. Just a hypothesis, but years of experience working on these cars seems to confirm my suspicion's. It's extremely rare to see it happen with S2 Avants, that not to say they don't also do it.

My 3B was like a colander and every face, aux gauges the lot were peeling badly, replaced the lot with second hand parts after I'd 'fixed' the leaks and they were fine for five years.
                            1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                            1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                            1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                            1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Been trying to make my coupe waterproof since I bought her no luck yet

Comment

• So this morning I finally found a fix to the low speed fan issue not working with the AC button on the ABY. I was looking around on google images for ABY fuse boxes and it came up with lot's of images some were for B3 others for ABY but fuses and relays missing, found one that showed the delay relay & fuse fitted so figured I would give it a go.

Fitted relay for radiator fan delay and fuse number 20 for radiator fan 1st speed, radiator fan delay.
                                1-fuse box.jpg
                                1-cover.jpg

Now have working 1st speed fan. Hope this helps other S2 owners that have the problem

Comment

Working...
                                X