Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking better than new underneath
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
      Thanks Kit & John, another few things off my list that has now grown!

So got my new sunroof seal with my tradition order, so took apart the "good" sunroof that came with the car. However While I was trying to figure out how to remove the glass panel from the mechanism it became clear the rust free panel was anything but!

So this morning I spent 3 hours slowly removing the frame from the glass.
      1-tools.jpg

When the main frame was removed there was still another section of the frame to remove
      2-glass.jpg

Will try and remove all of the old glass adhesive with a toffee wheel
      3-glass.jpg
      The frame I'm going to get basted and powder coated.
      4-frame.jpg

Once that's done then I'll see if I can get a glass company to glue the sections together or I'll do it myself. Thankfully there are some little tabs that hold the frame to the glass so alignment should be easy enough. So what was a simple job of fitting a new seal as turned it a bigger and far more costly job.

On a more positive note, I also got my new rear arb bushes so was able to complete the final suspension job.
      5-bush.jpg

Hello, good afternoon, I am in a process similar to yours with the sunroof, although in my case of 2 I am going to try to get 1 good. I would like to know what those pins are that pin the frame to the glass, if you had a detailed photo I would appreciate it.

REGARDS

Comment

• These are the locating tabs on the glass, there is around 14 of these tabs. They are not strong enough to hold the glass to the frame, I think they are just there so it's easy to align the frame & the glass.
        1-tabs.jpg
        Last edited by B5NUT; 16 March 2022, 20:28.

Comment

• Did some basic alignment on the car today, so that the rear & front wheels are all pointing in a similar direction to the opposite side. I've only got to drive it a couple of miles to get the the alignment place on the 25th and it's all 30mph roads, so should be good enough.

Found a wood working clamp holds the steering good enough
          1-steering.jpg
          Then used my usual method to rest the wheels on which is 2 bits of plastic, one side being smooth and the other very rough and applied WD40 between the rough & smooth surface's. I found that to pieces of smooth plastic together with grease or WD40 causes the plastic to just about to stick together and you get very little movement between the two surfaces.
          2-plastic.jpg

Tomorrow I need to look at the handbrake cable, as the one that is 50mm too long had the be on the side of the exhaust So it a little to close for my liking. Will but some heat rap around the cable as a temporary measure until I place an order with tradition again at the end of the month.

Comment

• Received the parts Kit, thanks again for the help

I also need some more help. Yet again. I'm looking for the tyre pressure chart for the car. The instruction manual for the S2 Coupe (and yes I have read it) states it should be on the filler cap, but the only sticker on there is for the correct fuel to put in the car. I've also checked the doors and the B pillar and cannot find the chart. Can anyone upload a picture of the S2 Coupe chart please.

Comment

• Check the boot-lid.

Comment

Received the parts Kit, thanks again for the help

I also need some more help. Yet again. I'm looking for the tyre pressure chart for the car. The instruction manual for the S2 Coupe (and yes I have read it) states it should be on the filler cap, but the only sticker on there is for the correct fuel to put in the car. I've also checked the doors and the B pillar and cannot find the chart. Can anyone upload a picture of the S2 Coupe chart please.
                No problem at all, if you need any other odd's and sod's just drop me a PM.

As John say's above check the boot lid for tyre pressure info, I did know what S2 Coupes were off the top of my head and could still make an educated guess but as I haven't owned one for nearly eight years I don't want to give you incorrect info.
                1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Nothing there either, also checked under the bonnet.

Comment

• Hmmm, driver's post somewhere close to the door catch perhaps though I dare say you'd have noticed it... I seem to recall being happiest with 34 psi all round on stock wheels and tyres, that'll be bloody close if not actually correct.
                    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Yep checked the B pillar, just the usual places Audi stick the pressure sticker on their cars. Why is nothing on this car easy

Comment

These are the locating tabs on the glass, there is around 14 of these tabs. They are not strong enough to hold the glass to the frame, I think they are just there so it's easy to align the frame & the glass.
                        1-tabs.jpg
                        This is the cristal???

Thank you very much

Comment

• Yes that is the glass section.

Comment

• 36psi all round for tyre pressures. see here from the owners manual http://s2-audi.co.uk/audi_docs/owner...cal/wheels.htm
                            Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Interesting my owners manual only goes up to page 132. Thanks that page gives the laden weights which was what I was looking for.

Comment

• Fixed a few issues on the car today.

First was a smell of fuel in the car. Turns out when I was putting the sender cover back on the seal had folded into the tank on one side. took only a minute to correct the issue but about 20 minutes to strip the boot area.

Next up was the aerial I was not getting any reception from the Sony radio that was in the car. it was also switching it's self on and off depending on how the wires were bent! So test fitted an old Audi head unit, switched it on and had perfect radio reception. So have junked the Sony unit and need to find a replacement Radio.
                                1-raido.jpg

Fixed the cigarette lighter issue. The wires were the incorrect way around, so swapped them over. Now the bulb only comes on with the headlights.
                                Last edited by B5NUT; 17 March 2022, 19:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X