Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They come out quite easily. Clean up around them then spray some wd40 around the seats before you start and let soak. This will soften up the seals up and help removal (I would get a new set if you haven't already). I have some spare connectors if one breaks. ​​​​​​
    Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks Dave. I've just check the plugs on the injectors and they came off without any damage. However I think I will replace them when I refit my original injectors back in the car.

Comment

• Sorted the lower rear bumper today.

condition after a wash and then washed with thinners to remove years of various back to black products that will have been applied. It was also masked off including the underside as did not want overspray on the exhaust & heat shields.
        1-clean.jpg
        Applied the plastic primer and the same paint I used on the sills and front plastic trims. Again it's a bit glossy at the moment as it's still wet but should look like the sill's once dried.
        2-paint.jpg
        3-paint.jpg
        Front bumper to sort next but that has a couple of deep scratches so need to fix them and try and get a similar texture to the repair. Will also remove the bumper to fix that.

Comment

• Wonder if some could help with a bulb question. Need to replace at least 1 bulb in the diff lock switch. Looked at this thread Inside the rear diff lock switch - S2Forum - The Audi S2 Community which gives the bulb code but after a quick search I cannot cross reference any of the numbers. Anyone know what bulbs are used in this switch

Comment

• Normal 12v 1.2w bulbs work fine here.

Comment

• I've got some osram 1.2W bulbs the problem is they are to wide, the bulbs in that switch a 4mm diameter and the ones I have are 5mm. Will need to keep searching.

Comment

• Took the car out for a longer drive today, just to make sure it will get to the garage OK for the alignment. Couple of things I have noticed that I would like to get sorted but don't think it will be possible.

Seat height, would like to be a little bit lower as my hair brushes against the headlining which is a little annoying. I prefer a more upright seat position, but may have to lean it back a little if there are no possible tweaks that could be made.

Steering wheel, again would like it to be a little higher and further forwards, but I could not see any adjustment possible.

As the stereo is out of the car at the moment there is an annoying whining noise coming from the dash. It's 100% electric as it changes tone as if something is actuating it, and don't think it's the fan.

Finally due to the piss poor exhaust the heat shield is making contact as there is very little room between the prop and the exhaust, so that's a job on my to fix list today.

Other than having to get used to a manual car again (Been driving only Auto's for the last 6 years) it drove very well, temps are good around 90 in traffic dropping a little around 85 when in clear traffic @around 40-50mph.
                Last edited by B5NUT; 24 March 2022, 11:04.

Comment

• Sounds good, must be great to get to drive the old girl after all the time and effort you've invested into her, I recall being seriously pleased with getting to drive my 3B again after it spent four years in pieces in my old workshop. Took another year of faffing about it get it to drive exactly how I wanted, but still I could take to road in it legally again!

I also prefer a more upright seating position, but I'm only around the 5' 10"/11" mark so could just about get the seat set up so I found the car really comfortable on long journey's, but my head wasn't very far off the roof at all, I also shave my head which obviously helps. Am guessing your a little taller than me?

I think the Recaro's found in RS2's and some Coupes offer a wider range of adjustment than the original seats as I seem to able to get comfortable in my RS without my head being so close to the roof, though maybe this due to the Avant body shell. However they're not exactly cheap and getting them to match a cream interior is pretty much impossible so not really a viable option.

Without going after market I can't think of a practical way to get the the steering wheel into a more forward position, if you wanted it closer to you then I could maybe have some suggestions but even that would be difficult.

I think your going to have experiment and find the best possible compromise.

Can you place where the whirring noise is coming from at all?
                  1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
                  1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
                  1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
                  1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Thanks Kit. I did not think there would be any solutions to either problem. I do wonder if the A4 B5 steering setup would fit, however it's not in keeping with the factory options of the car so I will just have a pay around with the seat position. I'm 6ft and have very short hair so it's a little irritating, as it's like a short hair brush rubbing on carpet! I've got the seat back a little which is helping but will keep playing around.

The noise sounds like it somewhere around the hvac system, will stick me phone in there tomorrow and record the noise. However it could noticeable because I have the radio removed and there is a big hole in the dash. It could be normal noise of the car, as the list time I had a drive of the car was October.

Gave a car a wipe down and clayed it today. It's comes up well, but there is still a fair amount of crap on the paint work. Going to wet sand the car at some point and polish it up. That's the first time it's be cleaned since I got the car.

This is also the first time I have really driven the car where I feel it's all working as it should be. I got the car October 2nd and less than 3 weeks later it was in bits and off the road.

Now that it's cleaner the wing has a better colour match.
                    1-car.jpg
                    2-car.jpg
                    3-car.jpg 4-car.jpg
                    Last edited by B5NUT; 24 March 2022, 19:33.

Comment

• Looking very tidy now!

These a tweak you can do to the seat mechanism, basically it’s simply filing an extra tooth on the height adjuster to allow the seat to drop a little further. Otherwise you could also reduce the thickness of the foam squab, would be a shame if it’s in good condition.. I’m about 6’4” (was 6’6”when younger!) I find the coupe pretty roomy, much more so than the Avant.
                      I’ve tied a couple of seat options, original 3B seats, ABY seats (slightly higher but maybe because they’d done less work) some E30 seats on Recaro sliders (very low indeed, could wear a crash helmet with these in there) currently I have cabby electric Recaros which are super comfy and look right in the car.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Had the alignment done on Friday and it's OK! However they only really looked at the toe setting and never touch anything else. So won't be using them again! Anyway the values are not that faraway from the factory settings and I've booked in the Automark to have it done properly in 7 weeks time.

So with the alignment done ish! Lava Heat Wrap was wrapped around the manifold and I fitted the refurbished injectors (Thanks to LSG). With those jobs done I called it an end to the car being off the road and started driving it for the first time in 5 months. So far I've done over 120 miles this weekend and the only fault I have with the car is one of the front ABS sensors is not working correctly, I get an intermittent fault code about speed discrepancy for one of the front wheels and low speed braking I can feel a slight ABS pulse on the brakes (Tyre pressures are 36PSI all wheels). So will look for 2 replacement sensors.

I did also have another issue which I fixed as the bodged Exhaust system was able to touch the prop over rough roads. So that was slightly modified so that no longer happens but it's going to be replaced as I'm not happy with the system.

Today was the longest run. Just over 50 miles. A trip out to the seaside with my daughter who thinks the car is far better than my last A6 Avant.. She is right about the S2. It is far better It puts a smile on my face. However I'm still a little on edge with the car as I keep looking for issues and looking & hearing for any problems, and wondering if I've made any mistakes with all the work I've done on the car. Think it's just a trust thing and I'm sure will improve over time, and once I get to know the car.
                        1-s2.jpg

The other Issue I still have not been able to fix is getting the low speed fan to run if I press the AC button. My temps are fine it creeps just above 90 while idle in traffic and you can feel the fan kick in, so it's all working as it should. However I would like to fix this fault. Going to buy some replacement relays as I read that could be the issue.

I also need the aircon working in this car, so that's a job for next month as I'll step up my search for AC parts.

A job I have done over the weekend was to fit the new Radio. Found an new Pioneer unit on FB market place. I was looking around for this unit but it was out of stock everywhere. Also the FB seller was £60 cheaper than Halfords. It's a Pioneer DEH-S720DAB DEH-S720DAB - Car Receivers | Pioneer (pioneer-car.eu) Not what you call OEM looking but it's a nice unit which has dual BT, BT music streaming and DAB.

Only issue I had was mounting the DAB aerial, and I'm still not happy with the look of it. I was hoping you could mount the plastic box under the trim panel, but I could not get a good signal. You also need it to be grounded and it does not have a ground cable just a daft foil stick on strip (one that is black) what I had to make a plate as there is a rubber seal that goes all around the side window.
                        2-aerial.jpg
                        Once the upper B pillar trim is fitted you don't see that plate
                        3-plate.jpg

Also had to make an extension cable, as the DAB aerial only comes with a 3 meter cable as it's kind of designed to be mounted in the front window. That would do my nut in looking that that box every time I got in the car. Thankfully had some fakra parts and cable from my retrofit days so made a small extension up.
                        4-cable.jpg

Still it's now in and working, just need to push it back in place once I fit the microphone as I ran out of time.
                        5-radio.jpg

The big one tomorrow is the windscreen replacement, just hope they got the correct screen this time. Have to say I'm a little nervous! I got the lower trim piece but was not able to find the upper one so they are going to fit a generic trim part I will ask if they can salvage the old one but almost sure they wont.
                        Last edited by B5NUT; 28 March 2022, 08:23.

Comment

• It is looking awsome!

Comment

• How did you get on with the windscreen?
                            Audi 80 Competition -94 Daily driver

www.garaget.org/fish for more pic´s of my cars

Comment

• Autoglass still have the car. Was told it would be ready for 1pm today then got a call later saying the wrong rivets were supplied with the job, so would be ready for 10am tomorrow.

Comment

• Hopefully pick up the car in the next couple of hours. Finally got all the parts sorted to rebuild the sunroof.

Spent the best part of 2-3 hours removing all of the old sealant. Not sure if that is 100% required but would rather have it as clean as possible
                                1-sealent.jpg
                                2-panel.jpg

Found these blades best to remove the old sealant, used about 5 new blades in total.
                                4-blades.jpg

Received the adhesive to glue the frame & panel together. I got two tubes of the adhesive just in case I muck things up.
                                3-glue.jpg

Got the parts back from being blasted and powder coated.
                                5-frame.jpg

Will glue the frame together later today and and get it fitted on Friday or Saturday as the weather forecast does not look good for the next couple of days.

Comment

Working...
                                X