Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking really good! Those neck snapping hours under the car are paying off!

Jase.

Comment

• So I've just been caught out by the new handbrake cables I purchased last year. It would appear the quattro ones an NLA except tradition. Now the quattro part numbers are 893698722E and 893698721E However most sellers on ebay and Autodoc cross link them to these part numbers 893698722F and 893698721F which are for front wheel drive models, and they are slightly longer by around 50mm and have moulded rubber part which could easily be cut away.
      1-rubbers.jpg

Has anyone else fitted the front wheel drive handbrake cables to their quattro models? The ends are the same so it's just the case of getting the extra 5cm to fit without rubbing on something.

Had a forum member very kindly say they have some actual quattro cables that they can provide to me, but just want a backup plan in case they are the same front wheel drive cables. Why is nothing ever simple on this car!

Comment

• I think I ended up using these. Cut the rubbers off and the extra length I ended up cable tying to the underside at a suitable location. I've since swapped them out so don't have any further details. Are they pagid items?
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• They are HQ and another brand, that I cannot remember.

Comment

• I put the pagid ones from eurocarparts on mine,The passenger side fits perfect but the driver side is a bit long and is about 25mm away from my standard exhaust,I'll put some heat protection on before I put it back on the road,handbrake works perfect though. Keep up the good work enjoying your thread as well as tractor Dave's

Comment

• So I fitted the front wheel drive cables today. A thanks goes to @Jaswan for bring over some new spare cables he had. So used 2 of the shorter cables, one side is just about a perfect length and the other is 50mm longer so will see how well that works once I've got the brakes on.
              1-cables.jpg
              As usual with some aftermarket parts the quality is not always that good. This burr stopped it fitting so had to be filled back
              2-burr.jpg

Handbrake cables fitted
              4-cables.jpg

Also fixed the issue of these pipes getting a bit to close
              3-pipes.jpg

Nice sunny day today so just fitted the heatshield, next up will be the diff & subframe
              5-shield.jpg

Comment

• With the sun shining and little to no wind for a change, the diff & subframe was bolted to the car. It's been in my workshop for a month so it's good to start clearing the parts from the workshop and bolting them to the car.

1-diff.jpg
                2-diff.jpg

Modified the bracket to if the Merc actuator, just hope I have no more leaks and the actuator works.
                3-act.jpg
                So I could get the jack under the diff and raise it to the car had to come up with a way of raising the subframe/diff it up a little.
                4-almostin.jpg
                Suspension fitted next
                5-sus.jpg
                Final part for the evening was the hub.
                6-clean.jpg
                Car is so much nicer to work on when it's not covered in rust, oil grease & schutz.

Only thing slowing me down at the moment if finding all the torque setting. I'm either referencing the Haynes coupe manual, a list I found on an S2 website, Google or Elsawin using the B5 A4, as some of the parts/setup is similar.

Tomorrow, get the brakes, prop and exhaust fitted. Sounds so easy but I know it's going to be a pain with the limited room I have to work under the car.

Comment

• Looking good..
                  I found this handy.
                  https://www.s2-audi.co.uk/tech_artic...e_settings.htm
                  Nothelle S2 Avant
                  Black Ur project
                  Ocianic Ur project gone
                  S2 Coupe project gone
                  Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks. That was my initial starting point for torque settings and I've been creating my own excel spreadsheet of all the different nuts & bolts as I've been working through the car.

Managed to get a fair bit done over the weekend. Started off getting the brakes on the car and got them blead & handbrake cables attached. However before I fitted them I found I had forgot the CV boot clip
                    1-CVboot.jpg

Standard S2 calliper's painted silver as just about everything else is black,
                    1-brakes.jpg

Next up propshaft alignment using these. I'm having to do this as I'm 100% sure there was no spacers on my prop when took it off.
                    2-tools.jpg

These marks had been placed on the mounts so I know someone had taken the prop off the car, so that mark gives me the side to side alignment, but not the required spacer.
                    4-marks.jpg

As I don't have access to the lovely expensive Audi alignment tool so I got a couple of magnetic spirit levels on either side of the shaft then aligned it
                    3-tools.jpg
                    5-align.jpg
                    So the required spacer on my S2 was 6MM

Only the 2mm spacer is still available to order
                    6-part.jpg

However that part number has been superseded, and surprisingly the new part is a lot cheaper
                    7-part.jpg

With the prop aligned the bolts were tightened with the help of 3 clamps
                    9-clamp.jpg
                    Track rod nuts tightened using a breaker bar to apply some pressure
                    10-track.jpg

Next up to drain the gearbox. Looks like this is the original oil as the drain & fill plugs were well seized, but eventual gave way without any damage
                    11-drain.jpg
                    Got over 2.6 litters out and including a little spillage and as you will never completely drain the box it looks like my gearbox seals are still working as they should.

Once drained I went magnet fishing.
                    12-fishing.jpg
                    Came out clean so at least I think the gearbox is not eating it's self alive
                    13-clean.jpg

Next to clean more parts and get the exhaust on the car, and maybe even try and start it up again this weekend.
                    Last edited by B5NUT; 1 March 2022, 19:59.

Comment

• Question, exhaust silicone Yes or No?

Over the years all my cars have either been Audi or VW, and for the exhaust system I've always used the Audi OEM sleeve clamps. However on this S2 the last owner had a stainless system fitted and they have used U clamps to clamp some of the sections together. With this should I be using exhaust silicone when I slide the two sections together? I just wonder how well U clamps seal the pipe without silicone.
                      Last edited by B5NUT; 1 March 2022, 21:00.

Comment

• I would yes, it helps seal, but also lubricates while assembling, makes it MUCH easier.

Comment

• For any torque settings not listed on the link above, ask here. I'll have them in the workshop manual and can add them.
                          Mike

http://www.s2-audi.co.uk

Comment

• Nice work stick with it and keep the pictures coming
                            ABY Cricket Green Pearl Coupe, blk leather
                            THE ONLY TROUBLE WITH DOING NOTHING IS KNOWING WHEN YOUR FINISHED!!!

Comment

• I’m impressed by that ear-clip tool!

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                              sigpic

Comment

• I purchased it when I did the CV boots on my 3.0TDI A6, the boots on that car were of a plastic type material, and there was a specific torque setting for the boot. Also there was no way you could do the A6 boots using normal hand held ear-clip tool.

Comment

Working...
                                X