Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got some of the fuel pipe parts over the weekend. As recommended I went for the Cupro-Nickel pipe, also already had some 8mm id fuel pipe from rebuilding the A4.
    1-fuel.jpg

As I'm still waiting on further tools & fittings for the fuel pipe it's on with the brake pipes

The pipes were in overall OK condition but as you can see from later images they were not in the best of condition.

For the brake pipe I'm using the same stuff as VAG uses at the factory, was given 4 roles from the same VW garage that got me the bolts.
    3-brake.jpg
    With the pipe straightened out I put the flares on using a vice mount tool as I found the hand held ones a little hit or miss
    2-brake.jpg
    Once the end's were on it was time to bend them into shape using a cheap pipe bender, but it does the job very well.
    4-pipe.jpg

Pipes may need a little fettling when fitted to the car, but seeing as this is what I had to work with in respect to a template I think they have come out OK. Looks like they have been removed before and been kicked around the workshop
    5-pipe.jpg
    Last edited by B5NUT; 6 February 2022, 16:44.

Comment

• What's the part number on the break line piping?

Comment

• Anyone know if it's possible to replicate this if I buy a hydraulic crimping tool or am I best just using double ear hose clips?
        1-connectors.jpg
        Last edited by B5NUT; 6 February 2022, 19:49.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laaf View Post
          What's the part number on the break line piping?
          Part number is 111 611 998 it's about £13 for a 4.7 meter length

Comment

• Tool & connectors arrived today
            1-parts.jpg

Been told that I may face issues with the stainless steel compression fitting. Never heard of PANAM fittings before but they look good quality, and appear to have 2 olives that will clamp to the pipe. Anyone used these before?

2-pipe.jpg
            3-pipe.jpg
            Also still having trouble getting any information on these clamps, guess I'm going to be stuck using double ear hose clips.
            1-connectors.jpg

Comment

• Ooooh! Nice pipe straightening tool.
              I just used my legs
              Nothelle S2 Avant
              Black Ur project
              Ocianic Ur project gone
              S2 Coupe project gone
              Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Re your question on crimping the flexi (fuel?) hose, why don't you visit somewhere like Pirtek or similar and get them to do it. If you spend the time sourcing the banjo unions from somewhere like Merlin motorsport or Demon Tweeks then all you need from Pirtek is some suitable hose and 2mins crimping time.

Im all for buying tools but ive never needed a hydraulic crimp and can't think i ever will when i don't find myself making hoses every week.

Comment

• What I'm not getting about the fuel lines is the pipe going from the tank to the filter. If this is under 6 bar of pressure these joints appear to be very poor! Or does pipe look to be some after market job? As it's got the screw fit end at the tank and cannot believe the garage that made a bodged job of the pipework had anything to do with this pipe.
                  1-joint.jpg
                  2-Joint.jpg

So while I'm still thinking about the fuel pipes and how to make them, I got on with fitting the new brake pipes I had made, as it finally stopped raining and it's nice and dry.

Offside pipe fitted without much issue
                  3-brakes.jpg

Nearside pipe was a complete sod and had to remake it 3 times before I was happy with the fitment and wanted to make sure that it was not touching/rubbing against the chassis
                  5-pipes.jpg

For the most I just cleaned and reused the clips but some where damaged and replaced. I also just cleaned up the old distributor as it was still in very good condition
                  6-brakes.jpg

Pipe to the front of the car is a little wavy, but that's the best my pipe straightener will do
                  4-brakes.jpg

Then replaced the original connecter that Audi used and fitted a female to female union.
                  7-pipes.jpg

So today I will be hand sanding (going to give the grinder a miss on this one) the filler neck and a quick spray with epoxy to get rid of this rust, before it's refitted. Then I can start on some of the fuel pipe runs. I've got a funny feeling I should have purchased 2 roll's of pipe, as I'm sure I'll muck one of the lengths up.
                  filler neck.jpg
                  Last edited by B5NUT; 10 February 2022, 19:33.

Comment

• Yes, that is the oe pipe and yes, you will need two rolls if doing all three lines front to back
                    Nothelle S2 Avant
                    Black Ur project
                    Ocianic Ur project gone
                    S2 Coupe project gone
                    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Found more rust on the tank around the connectors so that also had to be stripped back.
                      1-rust.jpg
                      2-rust.jpg

3-paint.jpg4-paint.jpg

With the rust all sorted on the tank I was going to fit it into the car today but found yet more rust! All the area's painted in light green epoxy had either paint rubbed away or rust was found.
                      5-paint.jpg

Main area was the near side corner, it was mainly surface rust and bubbling paint. It's not a nice finish but it's not going to be seen, and it's now well protected. At some point I will look to spray the entire boot area, and get a far better finish.
                      7-rust.jpg
                      6-paint.jpg

Comment

• Now is the time to relay your fuel pump! It's well worth doing whilst you have access.
                        Nothelle S2 Avant
                        Black Ur project
                        Ocianic Ur project gone
                        S2 Coupe project gone
                        Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Originally posted by Tractor Dave View Post
                          Now is the time to relay your fuel pump! It's well worth doing whilst you have access.
                          Never heard of that mod before

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post

Never heard of that mod before
                            https://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/24327.phtml

The original feed wire is long and thin.
                            Nothelle S2 Avant
                            Black Ur project
                            Ocianic Ur project gone
                            S2 Coupe project gone
                            Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Are you doing this mod to your S2?

Comment

• Relaying the pump is more for safety and reliability. The OE wiring gets hot and then fails.

For the banjo on the fuel line you could get the fittings and make a short flexible piece. Have a look at torques fittings on eBay.

Jase.

Comment

Working...
                                X