Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work.
    If you do want to replace you actuator there is a cheaper Mercedes part that works. About £50 as opposed to the silly money Audi Tradition want.
    Santa gave me some money for Christmas and I too have a blasting cabinet on the way. It will be very useful for the smaller items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MERCEDES-...edirect=mobile

Nothelle S2 Avant
    Black Ur project
    Ocianic Ur project gone
    S2 Coupe project gone
    Urs6 plus project gone

Comment

• Thanks I was looking around for a replacement.

Comment

• So today I finished the bracket, started with making a tool to bend the lip of the bracket, a bit a 12mm bar did the job with a 8mm cut in the middle and a slight curve on one side.
        1-tool.jpg

Next to cut out the metal using the card template.
        2-metal.jpg

Then was to put all the bends in the metal, Used the home made tool for the lip (project binky guy's made this look soo easy and it was a right pain to get right), for the large curve I found a hole saw that was near enough the right size and for the other 2 bends a vice & hammer was used.

After about an hour of bending & hammering it came out OK. (excuse the wood screws they were used to temporally hold the actuator)
        3-finsihed.jpg

4-finished.jpg

Now need to give the diff a good clean and get some new seals on order.

Comment

• Nice work! Very familiar, could have been stainless

Comment

• True, but had the sheet steel from making the oil cooler bracket. So it saw a free fix. I’ve got loads of parts to epoxy so that will get done with the rest of them.

Comment

• Nice work. Mine has rusted away so need to do the same thing. Not sure if there is sufficient left to make an accurate template.
              91 Modded 3B
              14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveH View Post
                Nice work. Mine has rusted away so need to do the same thing. Not sure if there is sufficient left to make an accurate template.
                I can send you a template or if you if you are not in a rush I could make one up when I have some spare time

Comment

• Cleaned up the diff yesterday, to start getting it ready for paint and to stop any dirt getting inside when I removed the input & output shafts to fit replacement seals. It was in a bit of a state, and when cleaning I was surprised Audi had the diff painted from factory (thought the black was just 26 years of dirt), so it will be repainted in black epoxy.

1-diff.jpg
                  There was an unbelievable amount of dirt, grease and oil stuck to the diff.

All this came out from the offside
                  2-crap.jpg
                  came up well after the first clean
                  3-diff.jpg
                  Will be going over it with thinners to clean the rest of the grease & oil off the diff.

Taking about oil this was all the oil that came out of the diff, a mere 400ml. Have been told it should have had 1.3 litres inside! No wonder there was so much dirt stuck to the diff.
                  4-oil.jpg

Easy enough to remove the two out put shafts and I've made a note of the depth of the diff seal. The larger seal was on my diff was 6.7 mm

I now need to deal with this nut. It's hammered quite tight to the pinion so not sure what is the best tool to get that out with.
                  6.nut.jpg
                  Last edited by B5NUT; 7 January 2022, 11:50.

Comment

• Just tape a screwdriver in there, it will pop out enough to then get a socket on it.

Two bolts and a piece of flat bar/angle bolted to the flange allows you to undo it fairly easily.

Think I had a pic of mine in my thread?

Comment

• Thanks will have a go later.

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                        I can send you a template or if you if you are not in a rush I could make one up when I have some spare time
                        Kind offer mate. If you have time at some point the template would be great. You have plenty on with your rebuild at the moment by the look of it
                        91 Modded 3B
                        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• PM me your address and I will get the template I used posted to you.

Comment

• So a few updates on my thread.

Got the stuck subframe bolt out, by the time I had cut this section out from the old bush I was able to remove it with mole grips.
                            1-bolt.jpg

The diff was degreased and repainted in two coats of epoxy. Still surprised the diff was painted from the factory.
                            3-diff.jpg
                            4-diff.jpg

Shot blasted and painted some of the rear end parts.
                            5-parts.jpg

Then removed the stainless exhaust system. Most of the bolts came out with ease, and a few snapped due to rust.
                            6-exhaust.jpg

Then finally got the prop out and with only one bolt rounding & having to drive a 12mm multi spline socket to remove it. The centre bearing is past it so may as well replace the cv joints while I'm at it.
                            7-prop.jpg

Also received the rear diff bush (Febi 06879), these looks very week to me, can move it around without much effort using my fingers! Other then a heritage polybush, is there another bush solution?
                            8-bush.jpg

Last edited by B5NUT; 10 January 2022, 17:59.

Comment

• I used a Meyle 1001990030. It's a Mk2 Golf engine mounting bush iirc, got the idea from the fact that others on here had suggested and used it. This mount doesn't want to be too stiff, that's why using a poly bush in this location gives a significant increase in NVH. The real work of absorbing the reaction loads from the diff is done by the two side mounts and you can still get Meyle OE equivalents for these, I believe.

Comment

• Thanks, just ordered the Meyle bush

Comment

Working...
                                X