Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My S2 coupe bit of a rebuild and repair thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yesterday evening I sorted out the headlights, I say sorted more like a dam good clean as looking at the chrome on the lights it going to have to be stripped and re-chromed which is not something I can do.

First thing I noticed was yet again was rust, the clips to hold the top of the lights in place had rusted and cracked the plastic. Will see if I can find these if not these will need to be cleaned up and painted.
    1-clips.jpg

2-plastic.jpg

Next job was quiet easy pop the clips and remove the glass, just note this rubber dome gets in the way so the glass has to be tilted to get the lip of the glass over it.
    3-glass.jpg

The glass was given a good wash as it was dirty.
    4-glass.jpg

The main seal between the housing & the glass had plenty of dirt & mould on it. Dirt was easy enough but the mould was proving difficult to shift until I tried this stuff. It got rid of 95% of the mould and was very impressed. I will be buying new seals but for the moment just wanted a temporary fix.
    4-seal.jpg

For the plastic housing I just cleaned it out as best I could with class cleaner. As I did not strip the light down completely I used cotton wool buds to clean the inside of the projector lens, you have to bend them a bit to clean the lens but it did the job.
    5-buds.jpg

For the chrome trim there was nothing I could do with that, even slightly abrasive or solvent based cleaner will remove the coating so just gave it a wipe down with Windolene, which remove the dirt but that was about it.
    6-chrome.jpg

The reflector lens cleaned up well using Windolene, however one of the reflectors is not in the best of condition so again will need to be sent away for re-chroming.

7-chrome.jpg
    8-chrome.jpg

Final job was to put them back together
    9 light.jpg

They look a hole lot better than before so was please with the results. However I'm left knowing the lights will need sending away to be fully restored and I need to find or clean the metal clips and I also need to find this cog, as yet again rust has damaged the plastic.

10-damage.jpg

So now on the lookout for a replacement cog or a damaged unit I can salvage a cog from.

Comment

• Early start this morning, get the aux rad fitted and the centre slam panel fitted.

1-front.jpg

Looks so much better, just need to sort out some of the scabby fixings
      2-front.jpg

Also anyone any idea what this lump of plastic for?
      3-wtf.jpg

Comment

• On B3's a similar piece holds the strip that runs under the headlamps, on a B4 front end no idea.
        Last edited by Bowie69; 16 December 2021, 11:44.

Comment

• It's a bumper support.. pointless...

Comment

• Congrats on all the great work!
            I come here everyday to follow yours and Tractor Dave progress.

I do some work on my car but you guys rock!

Comment

• Removed the VAC pipe going into the manifold, and the connector is just about shot.
              1-shot.jpg

I've cleaned it up, but it's looking a bit, well I'm not sure of the word I'm looking for, the one I would pick would just get **** out!
              2-shot.jpg

Now I've already stuck rust converter on and will stick some paint on it tomorrow. However I would rather replace it but I think I'm looking at a world of pain trying to remove that connector. Has anyone removed one in this condition, and anyone know the part number, if there even is one! I've looked through ETKA and I cannot see it.
              Last edited by B5NUT; 16 December 2021, 17:51.

Comment

• It will have a metric thread so easy to replace with a generic screw in adapter. Might fall to bits and need drilling/re-tapping though!
                91 Modded 3B
                14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

• That's my worry. Just cannot be bothered with that at the moment. I'm almost ready to get the wheels on the car and start the engine for the first time in months. Think this one will be added to the list for next year.

Found the part number it's 034145779D still available. Will get one on order and make my mind up about the job.
                  Last edited by B5NUT; 16 December 2021, 19:09.

Comment

• @B5Nut

I’ve got a couple of 3B headlamp shells with adjusters that could be salvageable and a few bits from a broken ellipsoid, you’re welcome to them. I also found those two AC pipes if they’re of any use to you.
                    Let me know and I’ll make a parcel up

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by B5NUT View Post
                      Removed the VAC pipe going into the manifold, and the connector is just about shot.
                      1-shot.jpg

I've cleaned it up, but it's looking a bit, well I'm not sure of the word I'm looking for, the one I would pick would just get **** out!
                      2-shot.jpg

Now I've already stuck rust converter on and will stick some paint on it tomorrow. However I would rather replace it but I think I'm looking at a world of pain trying to remove that connector. Has anyone removed one in this condition, and anyone know the part number, if there even is one! I've looked through ETKA and I cannot see it.
                      This car just keeps giving doesn’t it! I reckon that will be fine for another 20 years though as long as it doesn’t get a knock

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                        @B5Nut

I’ve got a couple of 3B headlamp shells with adjusters that could be salvageable and a few bits from a broken ellipsoid, you’re welcome to them. I also found those two AC pipes if they’re of any use to you.
                        Let me know and I’ll make a parcel up
                        Amazing thank you very much Let me know how much that will be an I'll get the money over to you

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post

This car just keeps giving doesn’t it! I reckon that will be fine for another 20 years though as long as it doesn’t get a knock
                          Yer, this car is a Christmas miracle, only problem being this miracle is provided by Freddy krueger! Also once the front is done I've got the rear end to sort out next and that's usually far worse than the front.

Comment

• You clearly have lots of tools and skills and a supply of compressed air... Have you ever tried a spot grit blaster?

Would be perfect on that pipe connector once the hole is blocked up.

I got one from Aldi of all places ages ago and employed it to very good effect recently on a restoration. Its the only thing which is sure to get right into corners and into deeper rust pitting that wire brushing doesnt. Leaves a perfect surface roughness for epoxy whether or not you use rust convertor / phosphoric acid / whatever rust treatment of your choice.

Only downside is that it can be a bit messy if you don't contain the grit in some way.

As it currently has no wheels, i'm making a dolly to get my car out of the garage and on to the driveway for the next round of work on the engine bay which has many many corners a power tool wont get to.

Comment

• Yes I've got a spot blaster, and used it before mainly on rusty sport welds. For the pipe I've already cleaned it up (bit better than the photo) put rust converter on and it now covered in epoxy. I've ordered a replacement, but as long as the new pipe seals OK then I will leave it for a job to do next year.

I'm hoping to start the engine next week and get the car turned around so I can start on the back-end. O the horror that awaits me.

Comment

• Finally after 8 weeks the car is on it's wheels... Just got to fit a new piece of VAC pipe, refit the ECU & battery then I'm going to start the engine!

As expected the standard 16" OEM wheels are back on with new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres
                                20211218_113417.jpg

However my new shot blasting cabinet has arrived so that's now taking priority.

Comment

Working...
                                X