20V CQ Tidy Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
    I noticed in this AAN oil pump when I stripped it down there was a shim washer that I'd not seen before in the 7A or 3B pumps I'd stripped. It's not in ETKA either so wondered if anyone else had come across it? Net effect will be to raise the peak oil pressure. Looks OEM as it is black zinc plated and thicker than an off-the-shelf washer.

I believe its 034 115 197 in the parts system, 100% meant to be there, and as you found it only seems to be fitted to ABY/AAN/ADU engines.
    91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
    93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
    94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Hmm, don't know how it can rise the oil pressure? Can someone explain?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• The washer puts more pre-tension on the relief valve spring, so it takes more oil pressure to force the relief valve open. Effect is the peak pressure is raised.
        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
        Indigo ABY coupé
        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• that makes sense, not something I would have considered though. Good move on oil pump with vaseline too
          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
            The washer puts more pre-tension on the relief valve spring, so it takes more oil pressure to force the relief valve open. Effect is the peak pressure is raised.
            But under normal operating conditions you'll only see peak pressure when something is wrong or maybe from cold, right?
            sigpic
            1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
            1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
            1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

• I was thinking about this earlier and I guessed the pump must begin to produce excess flow/pressure somewhere before the peak torque of the standard map? I guess that would be the point of the rpm range where most force was exerted on the bearings?
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• I dont know what pressure it peaks at as i've never plumbed a proper gauge in. But i suspect it opens instantly on a cold engine, or anything over 2000rpms on a warm engine. Or to put it another way if the dash pressure gauge pegs at 5bar, i would lay money its bleeding off excess pressure.
                91CQ20v - Gone to a new home
                93UR-S4 - The Magic Carpet
                94S2Bus - The Emerald Express

Comment

• Too much oil pressure will push the tappets out and you will loose compression. Iff more than 5...5,5 bar cold...not ok.

Comment

• Alex, can you measure and share the dimensions of the washer?

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
                    Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
                    BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
                    BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

• No problem
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• It used to be fairly common practice to shim to get more oil pressure, a few engine building books still mention it.

Does vaseline just dissolve in oil then?
                        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Originally posted by andy10v View Post
                          Does vaseline just dissolve in oil then?
                          It's petroleum based, so it'll break down under heat and shouldn't negatively affect anything. I think.
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Andy, same as I have seen - all of the blueprinting books I have read suggest shimming the relief valve spring to increase oil pressure and also to pack the pump drives with petroleum jelly for instant oil pickup. I'll measure this shim washer in a bit.
                            It will be an upgrade for 3B owners for sure, as its not there to begin with
                            Indigo ABY coupé
                            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yup its petroleum jelly in both books I am reading just now.

Is the pressure relief valve otherwise identical on 7A/3B, they just shimmed in on AAN?

Something else to do then? Or as the car was fine previously don't ****** it about?
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I've got a 3B pump here. When I get time to measure the washer for Thomas, I'll compare the two relief valve assemblies.
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X