No announcement yet.

SWB Quattro Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ah I see. I already use Avon 10.5's and Hoosier 12.5's but thought you may have found a supplier for part worns! Could do with some tyres for testing rather than mess up the fresh ones.

Comment

• Hi

Just wanted to say a huge congrats and hats off to this awesome project. I'm a big Quattro fan and this has been such an enjoyable read. I hope you dont mind but Ive posted the link to the project on the 205drivers forum and its sured quite a bit of interest. I'm really looking forward to the day I get to see and hear it in the flesh.

I was wanting to ask how you managed to get the finish on the underside of the car and what you did for underseal. I know I read it somewhere in the 50+ pages lol but I've scanned back through it and can't find anything about it. I'm currently building my first track car 205Mi16 (http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index...owtopic=133408)

Thanks.

Comment

• Glad that you like it. The underside has no underseal on its just painted.

Comment

• Ah right, that makes sens, I thought you'd maybe used something I'd not heared of that give a smooth finish.

Really like the finish of the underside, just not sure my 205 would last long if I just painted it lol

Will you just keep paining yours regularly to keep and corrosion under control?

Comment

• Its not exactly a daily driver so it hasn't suffered much damage at all yet. I will keep an eye on it. At least when its just painted you can see any issues straight away rather than hiding them behind underseal.

Comment

• Got a bit more work done on the car lately. The roof is now ready for a skim of filler. The welds are all ground down and the seams have been sealed up with tiger seal. I have also shaped some roll cage padding to support the roof skin off the roll cage as I am not putting the spars back in.

Next job I moved onto before it gets sprayed again was the sealer used around the bulkhead. I dont have any before pictures of it but the last time it was painted the guy decided to make it look like weld. No idea why he did it but it looked crap and I have wanted to sort it ever since so now was the perfect time. So its now smoothed in nicely with a finger.

The final job I have been on with is the steering column. It got bent in the crash and I was never happy with its height so decided to make it adjustable this time. Also went for a different universal joint which looks a lot stronger.

Tig'd in place.

Couple of bits of angle cut and shaped to allow the column to move up and down.

2 bosses machined up, knotched and welded into the tube.

All together.

I have lightened the new drivers door and welded in the plate for the mirror as per before. So next its onto the front bar which holds the bumper and wings. It got bent on one side and I want to remove the Dzus clips this time and bolt them on so they will be quicker to remove.

Bodyshop is booked for 3 weeks time so looking good to make GTI international.
              Last edited by G60Rallye; 27 May 2013, 22:24.

Comment

• If anybody fancys some inconel exhaust bends ideal to make a manifold or 2 out of then I have listed them on ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3009114626...9#ht_63wt_1170

Comment

• Been on with repairing the damage to the panles. First up was the front bar which took a hit to the out-riggers that the wings/ bumper bolted to. They used to have Dzus fastners on them but they were a pain to use so I decided to weld some bosses on and bolt them instead. Ignore the bolts I will be using some alloy bolts and washers.

Bolted back together.

Rear wing around the exhaust cut out fibreglassed back together.

The swage line on the passenger rear arch was always low compared to the door. Decided to take the chance to line it up as it always annoyed me.

Crack in the other rear wing repaired.

Front wing stuck back together and worked on the shut lines to improve them.

Same done to the other side.

Panels stripped off and taken to be sprayed.

The car is now up at a friends house having the roof filled then its going in this week to get painted.

My new dash binicle landed this week. Motec CDL which will actually work with the Motec ECU unlike the race technology which gave no end of trouble and their customer service was shocking.

Dash comes with shift lights, GPS module for speed and odometer. It also comes with a proper wiring loom so is an easy fit.

Hoping to still make GTI international and have some fun on the strip!

Comment

• Nice progress Hamish.

I am using the RT dashes in 2 cars but so far getting them working 100% has been hard work and as you say their customer service is bloody disgraceful, infact I am still waiting for them to return my call from months ago lol

Comment

• I was asked where I was based during one conversation. When I told them they said oh thats too far away for us to come and have a look. Needless to say I was a bit angry! They were trying to use me to develop the lead for my dash, I was having none of it! I would not recomend them to anybody who is looking to buy one!

Comment

• Yep I can understand why, I have one running off a Motec and another off a Link G4, they can't even answer the simplest questions with a straight answer so I have just had to work it all out myself. I'd love a Motec dash for mine but they are quite keenly priced for my liking !

Comment

• Originally posted by G60Rallye View Post
                          A nice set of KW's to bolt to the uprights!

Did you have to change much to fit the 034 KW kit? I was onto KW directly and they suggested sending my struts over and they could manufacture a V3 set up from them. Obviously the off the shelf 034 kit would be a less expensive option.
                          Thanks
                          Niall
                          1984 Pearlwhite ur quattro (3B 20v power - 034EFI/RS2 modded)

Comment

• Its running full S2 running gear now so yeah I did have to change a bit to get them to fit! Its a far better set up than the ur quattro suspension. You dont have to deal with 034, plenty of dealers for KW in this country and you can deal direct like you alredy have.

Comment

• OK thanks. I have Sport Quattro wishbones etc. underneath and don't want to junk those to move to an S2 setup. I might go with the KW build based on the original struts. I'll let you know how I get on..
                              Regards
                              Niall
                              1984 Pearlwhite ur quattro (3B 20v power - 034EFI/RS2 modded)

Comment

• Originally posted by niall1 View Post
                                OK thanks. I have Sport Quattro wishbones etc. underneath and don't want to junk those to move to an S2 setup. I might go with the KW build based on the original struts. I'll let you know how I get on..
                                Regards
                                Niall
                                Bambridge can supply the nursery parts to convert your original suspension to coilovers .

Comment

Working...
                                X