No announcement yet.

SWB Quattro Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is he making these parts again? When I tried to get them 2 months ago he wasn't...

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• So restricted sticking with the ur quattro set up. The hubs/ uprights weigh a huge amount and suspension choice is very limited, with home made being a guessing game. I wouldn't get hung up on the sport quattro wishbones. If you want fancy wishbones get the ones from 034 I would bet they are a lot better made than the sport ones.

Comment

• I know you said you're going to Gti international but, Any chance you will be at the Retro Car Show at Santa Pod this Sunday?

Can't wait to get a look at your car in the flesh

Comment

• Originally posted by Qwerty View Post
          I know you said you're going to Gti international but, Any chance you will be at the Retro Car Show at Santa Pod this Sunday?

Can't wait to get a look at your car in the flesh
          I might be going to the retro car thingy are there many from here going?

Although I m not sure my car is retro enough, but looks like an interesting event...
          Audi S6

Comment

• No doing GTI International at Shakespeare all weekend sorry.

Comment

• I'll have to just see it another time

Do you come any further North?

Comment

• Bit of an over due update. The car went up to a mates to get the filler work done.

Ran out of time to get the shell painted before inters so got my mate to primer the shell at his house so I could use the car:

Panels came back from being painted and I got it built back together ready for inters:

Welded a plate onto the steering column to mount the dash and its buttons:

All working which is a big difference to the old dash!

I got the car to inters after a full weeks work. It was lacking some bits of trim and grills etc, but it was good to use it. First run on Saturday it went off the line well but then in 3rd and 4th it had a missfire. Then on the return road I could hear a clunking from the rear end so I suspected a shaft or diff. Got it back to the pits and it was just the rear diff lock not fully disengaged (I had forgot to lock it). Whilst under there I could see that the rear tie rods had hit the anti roll bar on launch so it was off with the roll bar for the weekend.

I did further runs at the weekend but all were with the same issue in 3rd and 4th. Tried a new set of plugs, and got hold of a new set of coil packs from the guys at PSI who did a cracking deal for me so thanks to them. In the end with some help from Keith Murray of Dialynx we discovered the issue was low voltage causing the ecu all sorts of issues with the injectors and coils. The rear alternator just couldn't get the voltage up in time so its back to the drawing borad on that one. A big thanks to Keith Murray who was a great help all weekend!

The car managed to do an 11.5 at 123 which is 10mph slower than normal. Also managed a few other 11 second runs at around 110 due to lifting in 3rd. It was 60 footing in 1.6 range and I am sure it would have run a 10 if the terminals were in the usual 130+ range.

The only video I can find from the weekend running against a mate in his highly tuned stripped TTRS. Had to lift in 3rd so gave him the win but showed him how to launch!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87VFNqMZs4Y

So I am going to look at putting the alternator back onto the engine with a ribbed set up to get around it chewing up the v belt. I am also making some new rose jointed rear arms which bolt under the hub pick up to give more clearance for the bladed anti roll bar.

I have entered ten of the best at Elvington in 2 weeks time so hoping to get some good times out of it there.

Comment

• what is the actual issue with the alternator driven off the prop Hamish?
                  Is it the V-belt not able to keep up and slip? or does the mount flex losing belt tension or is it a pulley size issue and over or under speeding the alternator? Audi sport made it work so I am sure it is nothing fundamental holding you back - maybe a custom prop pulley and use an ABY or AAN poly-V on the alternator?
                  Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• i'd have thought the voltage drop when the car is sitting still

Comment

• There is no issue with the alternator off the prop when the car is constantly running say on a track. There is no belt slip or anything like that, I have it running on a multi ribbed belt.

The problem is when the car has been warmed up in the pits to get it up to temp then having to que up and eventually start the car up again. By the time its setting off the volts are down to 10 and the alternator in 11 seconds cant get the charge back in against the car running flat out. The ecu has a compensation table for voltage and under 10 volts its seriously unhappy which is what it was dropping to in the runs.

Comment

• What's your battery? Try getting a LiPoFe battery like this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ePo4_Pack.html

It's light, small and can be connected on will when you know that your voltage has dropped. It has enough current rating to actually start your car also and be used as the primary battery, so it should be enough to boost your electrical system during runs.

Comment

• Air jacks?
                          Chef

Comment

• The battery I have is plenty big enough its a red top 40. Air jacks would be very nice for warming the engine and transmission in the pits!

Comment

• Cracked on with the work to fix the issues from GTI international.

Started with sorting the rear track control arms so they didn't hit the bladed anti roll bar. The track control arms needed to bolt under the hub pick up rather than on top to give some extra room. Whilst I was changing things around I decided to make the arms as long as possible like the fronts so the geometry change under compression is reduced.

Cut the old pick up points off the subframe and welded them into the centre of the subframe so that the arms were level at ride height. They are central its the diff mount thats not. Whilst I was cutting and welding I decided to plate over the rear of the diff mount to strengthen it up and give something to weld the pick ups onto:

Rear diff strengthening plate:

Link arms made up and bosses tig'd in place, using rose joints either end.

Quick coat of paint and bolted back in place.

Both ends have misalignment spacers to stop the joints necking under movement.

That has given plenty of clearance to the anti roll bar and hopefully should help with having longer bars.

I have also moved the alternator back onto the engine. I have moved it to the back V on the front pulley as its a deeper V so I am hoping that might help with it flipping the belt and throwing it off. Over the winter I am going to take the pulley off and convert it to a ribbed one.

So the car is just about ready for Ten of the best at Elvington at the weekend where hopefully it will run without any issues. Fingers crossed!

Comment

• have you considered a small racing alternator off the crankshaft and retain the prop shaft unit. there are some very very small 50-65 amp units available, that would take a lot of the load off of the rest of the charging system
                                BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
                                DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

Working...
                                X