Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keep at it hamish you'll get there.......mark

Comment

• Lets not forget the positioning of the WG. Ive seen loads of EM designs with poor flow charactaristics into the wastegate. I've also seen a stock head with tubular GT35r and oem wastegate boostcreeping like mad. After fitting a 60 mm wg it was solved.

So couple of pointers wich I find usefull.

Position of the wg (in the flow)
      Size of hotside (backpressure pre turbo)
      Size of exhaust (backpressure post turbo)
      Size of the WG
      Spring pressure
      Ballbearing turbo or friction bearing turbo

TBH I see no relationship in the amount of flow... Proper design and concideration of all of the above will wastegate all sorts of fast flowing gasses imho.
      RS2 Black - stock 315 HP
      RS2 RS blau - stock 315 HP
      Sport Quattro - 1005 HP
      High Octane website

Comment

• It is all about pressure differential over the WG compared to total turbine flow. If the WG entry is pointing towards gas flow it will reduce flow resistance enhanching flow capacity until it reaches it ultimate choking limit, which does not matter which way it points but relates to pressure difference between pre- and post-turbine. The turbine housing will be the primairy trigger for the WG operation to start, turbine will choke after reaching it's own max flow and asks for WG operation (venting can be started earlier if target boost is reached of course) By flowing the head the VE of the engine will increase making total engine flow increase even more. Still, running around 700hp means that there will be around 0,6kg of air passing by each second, figure out how much that is in liters at those temperatures.

Did you monitor/log exhaust manifold pressure? I'm sure it will make it clear plotting it against measured/calculated engine flow.
        I did not expect this to happen as well with the 44mm TiAl, must be compressor vs turbine flow relation.

Comment

• Hamish,

What size UJ did you connect to the Audi fine spline steering rack?
          Chef

Comment

• I didn't put the UJ in there mate. Its welded into the column half way up.

I did ask a mate of mine and he measured up a mk1 golf UJ and its splines were the same, so you could use one of those if you choose to put it there?

Comment

• Took the exhaust side of the engine to bits this afternoon. The 60mm wastegate compared to the 44mm its huge!

I have worked out how its all going to work. The wastegate will sit in the same position as the 44mm, but the wastegate exit will feed back into the downpipe a lot higher up.

Hoping its back together in a couple of weeks at most.

Comment

• it's like you went into tial and asked them to super-size me, christ that thing is big!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
                  christ that thing is big!

Mmmmmm, that's what she said!
                  Scruff4 Lag Monster Noggy.
                  In Progress:
                  Volvo K24-7400/7000 hybrids, 2.4 heads, RS4 Rods, Tial W/G's + Screamers, True Dual 2.5" straight pipes :twisted:

Comment

• amazing work!!!
                    i like it

Comment

• Hamish, are you running the car at TOTB at the end of this month?.............mark..

Comment

• does tial have max flow numbers for wg's?
                        BEAST '90 CQ 24v VRT / O1E / v8 rear, HOLSET SUPER 40 http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=193#p37887
                        DD '86 4kq BLAZE, swapping aba/16vT and O1E http://www.theprojectpad.com/viewtop...1&t=201#p38264

Comment

• No I wont be running at TOTB. I will be coming over to have a watch as I do every year. Are you going over Mark?

I have no idea about max flow numbers but I am sure you could work it out with the cross sectional area.

Comment

• The manifold and downpipe have been modified to get the bigger wastegate on to keep the boost in check.

I had the car down at the Retro Rides Gathering at Prescott over the weekend. Got 7 runs up the hill. The car ran without any issues which was great. It seemed to handle ok but I wasn't pushing that hard.

2.40 into this video is the first run. First time I had ever given it some proper stick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7q-BmMyHJus

The car is hopefully back on the dyno very soon to make some proper power!

Comment

• the car sounds strong and aggressive. very nice!

Comment

• Fab work looks very nice & neat, are you a fabricator by trade? Car looks & sounds amazing fella, you've done an amazing job. Looking forward to the power runs on the dyno, please take some video

One question, how are you finding the Tilton pedal box without servo assistance? I would be very interested in knowing which master cylinders you have compared to the total piston area of your front & rear calipers if its not too much to ask, I have the same one for my A4 quattro sport and haven't got round to plumbing it in yet.
                                2000 B5 A4 Quattro Sport ~ 2.0 20V GT30R ~ Gone
                                1993 S2 ABY Coupe ~ Gone
                                1989 2.2E Coupe ~ Gone

Comment

Working...
                                X