Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A quick update. I picked up a pair of rear wishbones from Sals the other week to complete the rear subframe build. Had them shotblasted first

I added some extra weld to stiffen them up a bit, not sure if this will work or not but whilst they were nice and clean I had nothing to lose so I added a 2" run at each end and one in the middle.

Painted and new Powerflex bushes installed. Hopefully I should get the rear subframe and the bigger rear brakes fitted next weekend

I took the block to work a while back and had the deck height measured, all the info I had seen on the net said the deck height on an AAT block was 236mm but mine measured 236.53mm. I'd already used 236mm to spec the pistons so it should mean I had to skim 0.53mm from the deck.

I thought this was close enough

I dropped the block off at the machine shop today to have the extra material skimmed off.
    sigpic
    1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
    1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
    1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Nice project Andy, I will be watching this very close. Good luck with it all, looks good so far
      Just some finishing touches to do now

Comment

Not much progress on this recently due to a screw up at the machine shop, after my last post I dropped the block off to have 0.5mm skimmed off the deck. They mis-read the worksheet and skimmed off 0.0050”in, which is 1.27mm. This meant that the block was scrap as my pistons and rods were all sized around a set deck height of 236mm. They have agreed to pay for a new block and the old one is living on in Grant Parkers latest mega horsepower project.
        After waiting 8 weeks for it to be removed from it’s home in an A6 I finally have another AAT block

Got it stripped down this weekend so I can take it for welding this week. I’ve still been acquiring parts whilst waiting for the block.
        New Sachs race clutch from Corey at quattronics

Wagner exhaust manifold from 034 Motorsports

RS2 crossmember

Also had some work done on the head, it’s been de-coked, skimmed, new valve guides, valves swirl polished, head bolt holes opened up to 12mm for the TDi studs, and a bit of a flow job to suit the new turbo. All work courtesy of Corey at quattronics.

Finally, I decided to invest in some new seats, these are Recaros from an Evo 7
        sigpic

Comment

I want my half back.
          Kingdoms are run by Kings, Dictatorships are run by Dictators.
          England must be a Country. :mischeif:

Comment

I want a new turbo
            sigpic

Comment

Talk to Grant and give me mine back

Comment

hey

how did you get, those seats onto the rails then???
                japanischer industriabfall nein danke!!
                www.rackeltrim.se Icelandic Division

Comment

Originally posted by urquattro-island View Post
                  Recaro subframes for the Audi 80

Comment

Nice seats Andy no probs then fitting ,going to turn your brothers pink S2 into
                    a nice shiny red one tonight
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by urquattro-island View Post
                      Like Bry said, they are off the shelf Recaro subframes for the Coupe, but they need modifying as I'm sat too high at the moment. Got them from here:-

http://www.capitalseating.co.uk/
                      sigpic

Comment

Looks to be coming along nicely Andy. Keep up the good work, perhaps see you at Oulton or Donington in December.

I found the standard Recaro subframe set to the lowest setting with the Rearo Speed was actually ok. About an inch lower than the standard seat.
                        Cheers'en, AndyC
                        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

My brother has Speed's in his with the same subframe and they are OK, must just be the Evo seats are taller, it's like being in a Range Rover
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi, what Sachs Race clutch did you buy? A sinter-metal?

Comment

Originally posted by bram View Post
                              Hi, what Sachs Race clutch did you buy? A sinter-metal?
                              No, organic, I want it to useable every day and the sintered plate would be too on-off.
                              sigpic

Comment

Finally got round to doing some work on the old bus this weekend. As the S4 is away having a new exhaust made I’m using the S2 as my daily driver at the moment and the rear diff was making some ominous rumbling sounds. Time to fit the newly reconditioned rear end, complete with Paul’s rear brake upgrade.
                                This is what the rear end looked like

Std rear brakes

Old subframe off

New subframe ready to go on

In place

New 280mm S4/S6 brake upgrade. A big thanks to Paul for all the research on this, all the parts just bolted on, couldn't have been easier.

One thing I can highly recommend are these

When you find that all your propshaft to diff bolts look like this, you’ll find then invaluable!

I think it took me about 14hours in total and it was worth every one of them. No more nasty grumblings from the diff and the whole rear end now feels so much more planted. The diff mounting bushes and the subframe bushes were all completely shot and I’m sure it was steering from the rear! Brakes feel like they need bleeding again, but I’ll do that next weekend when I’ll flush the system and replace it with ATE Super Racing Blue brake fluid.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X