Project "Sooty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
    Channel 4 are making a new TV programme starring Jas & Phatty - it's called 'How clean is your car ?'

Meanwhile, competing channel Five have launched some alternative viewing at the same time called 'Top ten dirty weekends' - none of which involve cars.

Coincidentally, Sky One have cancelled their new lifestyle programme called 'Empty Lives' which aimed to provide a curiously in-depth insight on the lives of those afflicted with an overwhelming desire to dedicate their lives to cleaning, preening and polishing bits o machinery that nobody will ever see.

Couldn't resist - LOL - joke's one me too BTW - polishing a feckin cylinder head whenever I can.

Paul
    Meanwhile, Nuggent has taken to personlising his branded homefry eproms,

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T quattro Sport-LE.
    1995 S2 Coupe - sold (sniff)

Comment

• Comment

• An overdue update.
        Lots been done over the last month. She's lowered now NO! tell a lie, she's damn well slammed

Picked up a full set of front and rear struts with lowering springs fitted, got them through the post to find one rear spring snapped. In fairness to the seller, they were mortified that they'd not spotted it and set yet another complete rear setup FOC.

In any case, didn't use any of them as I spotted a set of brand new Spax springs on the bay. Only problem was the seller didn't know how far of a drop they'd give.
        Bid on them, won them (brand new don't forget) for £10.50. Ebay had given me a voucher for a tenner so they only cost me 50p AOC members relayed them up the country from Bristol to Brum, I picked up from Birmingham so shipping wasn't a problem.
        Only thing was to fit em and see what the drop was. Erm, 60mm
        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• 2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• BEFORE!!

AFTER!!!
            2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Last edited by Jas11n; 31 May 2008, 02:44.
              2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Needs lowering more imo

Looking good, and look forward to seeing whatelse you do, any plans for the inside?

Comment

• Bought a secondhand boot lid, the one on now has lots of peeling lacquer from a previous to my ownership bodged job at trying to combat the dreaded fade. Also has a nasty dent on the bottom edge.
                  New Boot has been painted, what a total arsé off a job that was, as the paint kept on reacting with what was probably silicone.
                  Took five attempts to get it right. Painter has now told me to f*** off and leave him alone
                  I'll be fitting it today, so will nab some pics. Had a poll going on audifans to see which badge setup the rear should have, Think I'm going to go for just the fourring badge and that's it. Keep em guessing.
                  With having Coupes in various guises over the last 12 years and two 80 2.8 quattros (both 80's had window aerials) I've not been used to having to remember to raise and lower and old fashioned aerial. Yup, forgot to lower it and found it one morning looking like a coat hanger. Little sh*ts
                  So bought a black based, black masted electric aerial that raises and lowers with switching on and off of the headunit.
                  Had five minutes of fun with "aerial goes up, aerial goes down, aerial goes up, aerial goes down" got bored then and moved on
                  Friend of mine bid on and won four S2 avant doors, the red avant that was breaking last month.
                  All four doors have ZERO dents, best thing is they have the centre door trim and handles already colour coded. Picking those up next week. Cost to me? £28 and some front struts
                  So fingers crossed, it'll be looking like this below next weekend. REALLY hope it's done by next saturday as I've got a show to attend in Scotland and would like to have it there.

Ahh, but how are the Avus going on?? read on..

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                    Needs lowering more imo

Looking good, and look forward to seeing what else you do, any plans for the inside?
                    More Pete? It's grounding out as it is now if I'm not careful

Interior, hmmm. I had chance of a leather interior, at a belting price too. Turned it down though. Why? well, me and the other half enjoy taking my border collie to the beach, also go often with my dad off out into the wilds of the lake district and so on. I missed being able to just bung poochy in the car without worrying about scratched leather or faffing around with covers.
                    I'm keeping the cloth seats as they are, driver seat bolster has a hole the size of my pension plan so have managed to find two replacement front seats in the same colour.
                    2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• What about anything like s2 dials/aux dials, heated front seats and does it have electric rear windows.

I'd be tempted just to stick all the luxury bits on it so its a nice cruiser etc...

I'd getting curious to what my s2 will be like once it gets lowered on the 19's i've just got to get around to doing it as i've already got everything stored up.

Comment

• Ok, five stud wheels on a four stud setup.
                        Decided at long last that converters just weren't going to happen. It could have been done, but at the expense of being safe in the knowledge that the car wasn't going to be overtaken by four rogue wheels that had just come loose from the hubs.

That means a five stud hub setup.
                        First hurdle is the rear, Can't use any S2 gear as it's FWD. I bought two rear five stud hubs from C4 Audi 100 2.6 FWD, they fit the rear no problem, BUT! I just could not find any info anywhere of a suitable rear disc. Wasn't going to start messing with looking at different rear callipers either.
                        Step forward user on here "Wolfgang" who showed his Coupe's rear setup further back in the thread. This route involves using 1995 - 2000 B5 A4 1.6/1.8/1.9 TDi FWD rear discs.
                        Beauty of these is that the disc IS the hub. The wheel bolts to the disc itself The same wheel bearings and rear ABS rings as the 80 TDi is also used on the A4. So all is required is the A4's discs, new bearings (two each disc, inner and outer) pressed in, new ABS rings heated and pressed on. That's the rear sorted.
                        Now the ballache that is the front.
                        This TDi uses 75mm wheel bearings ojn the front, the S2 front hubs press into 82mm bearings as we all know. So S2, 7A or 2.8 carriers would be needed. So you fit the carriers (no need for me to worry, my struts have 14mm bolts holes) but then my TDi driveshaft won't fit, too small as they locate into smaller wheel bearings. S2 driveshafts are a no go, this 80 is FWD, meaning unequal length driveshafts even if I fitted the correct flange on the box.
                        Bit more headscratching. Coupe 2.8 FWD shafts would work. IF I could find any.
                        Step forward MikeS2. He kindly located two 2.8 cq front driveshafts and I'm going to remove their outer CV joints and fit them to the end of my TDi driveshafts. Lots of extremely boring internet searching and cross referencing parts, have told me the end of my TDi driveshaft is 24mm in diameter and has a tooth count of 30. I've measured the size and tooth count of the 2.8 CV's and they match. The outer splines of the 2.8 CV match and fit in the S2 front hubs which were sourced from James (Spink).
                        New CV boots and a host of new bolts/nuts and washers also sourced.
                        Going to try and do this little lot of Sunday. Fingers crossed that my boring hours searching on the net pay off and the 2.8 outer CV;'s fit on the end of the TDi shaft.

AH, brakes. Mike also grabbed the G60's from the wrecked 2.8cq, BUT, as said earlier in the thread, I'm well happy with the brakes as they are now on this 80, instant bite and lots of feel, WAY more feel than the 996's on the S2 as it happens. Probably down to the "no bomb" servo assistance. They fade if really pushed, but this car isn't about being pushed to within an inch of it's life. It's about the mpg on derv and veggie oil and it's looks.
                        So, two new 280mmx10mm solid discs have had a 5x112 pattern drilled in them. Stock setup then remains.
                        2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Will be interesting to see how low this one goes once the avus are on the car, mine looked slightly lower but actually handled better on the 19's.

Comment

• The A4 discs I bought off ebay came with a set of pads too, but there was a change with these, so you had to choose from one of two options. I had to cross reference part numbers between the 80 and the A4 then cross reference the correct part number needed from my chassis number to the only place I could find a picture. Luckily the pads I need are the same as those fitted to the rear of an S2, so Mikes site provided the picture I needed so I could tell the seller which pad I needed. It's all to do with the pad spring on the top. See pic below, I needed the top set with the flat spring.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Bearings pressed into the disc/hub (two per disc, inner and outer) and new ABS rings pressed onto the rear of the disc/hub.

2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

• Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                                What about anything like s2 dials/aux dials, heated front seats and does it have electric rear windows.

I'd be tempted just to stick all the luxury bits on it so its a nice cruiser etc...

I'd getting curious to what my s2 will be like once it gets lowered on the 19's i've just got to get around to doing it as i've already got everything stored up.
                                I may S2 dial it later, another ballache maybe as this 80's speedo reads to 140mph only, the S2 speedo as we know reads to 160mph. Would it be out of kilter? Dunno.
                                Aux gauges getting fitted late august. The gauges can be fitted to the non gauged front centre console, but the ashtray can't. Means I need a front centre console from a gauged car to fit the ashtray.
                                Will maybe fit electric front windows later, rear not bothered about as the pooch hasn't learn't to wind the existing ones down. He did used to nose the switch on the front windows of my old 2.3 e, the clever git

Originally posted by Acidburn View Post
                                Will be interesting to see how low this one goes once the avus are on the car, mine looked slightly lower but actually handled better on the 19's.
                                I think it will raise it up a tad. The 17's on there now have the wrong tyre sizes on. They should have 225/45/17's, but instead they came with 205/40/17 meaning the profile is like a flippin rubber band. With the 55 profiles on the Avus, I think it'll lift it up an bit. No bad thing. When me and the bro were fitting the lowering springs, we were finishing up and had two cans of fosters ready, Bro put them under the front bumper to keep them in the shade, I forgot and dropped the car off the jacks and nigh on squashed flat both cans
                                2001 Avus Silver B5 RS4.

Comment

Working...
                                X