No announcement yet.

Mr Simmonds 3B lite project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another quick post to thank a member who's taken great trouble to help me out, Will54 has rebuilt my ABY steering rack and had it tested properly so I can fit it with confidence. As I'm doing the job with the engine in I wanted to 100% sure the process is not going to have to be repeated soon! So thanks Will, I really appreciate the help!

My alloy rad from Colin Reay should be with me today which I'm quite excited about, means I ditch the slightly leaky Berh I've been living with. I've also picked up a black set of Samco's for the water hoses so that will be cooling well and truly taken care of. Thanks to Orangepeel for the hoses they were a bargain.

So quite soon she's coming off the road to have the new bit's fitted and a few niggles sorted along the way.

Number one priory is to get the Alcons on so I can stop the thing safely.
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Pleasure Kit any other way I can help let me know. Need an excuse to fiddle with cars...mines working for now!
      1996 Audi S2 - 295bhp and 326lb/ft - Complete Rebuild Project

1994 Audi 80 - 2.0 8v (slow but reliable!)

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
        I was quite shocked by how quick it feels, the brake's are now my next priority. .
        Yeah, I can imagine they are getting a bit of a workout now if you do any silly stuff.
        Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
        Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• It's quite hard to avoid the odd blast of silly stuff and the brakes are rubbish after a couple of straights.

This arrived today which I'm really pleased with. I got in touch with the guy the made Tomwoods Rad and asked if he could make one the same, Tom kindly left his old Rad with Colin to use a pattern. Some of the best alloy fabrication work I've seen.

Attached Files

Comment

• That is looking very good, was it somewhat affordable?

Comment

• I'm a picky sod and I really can't fault this rad in anyway, whereas every other alloy rad I've seen for our cars has something about it I don't like the look of or is actuality wrong. For the quality of materials and workmanship I would say it was very good value at ÂŁ360.

Comment

• Bargain at that price. It looks excellent Kit. Are you going to paint it?
                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                Indigo ABY coupé
                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                  Bargain at that price. It looks excellent Kit. Are you going to paint it?
                  Cheers Alex, I reckon it's a bargain too, as well as the stunning welding the core itself is excellent quality which make's for a very efficient rad, same as used by Radtech, should be at least 25%+ more efficient than stock so perfect for a car with no Aux rad. I liked the idea of anodising in black but it looks so nice in the flesh I'm going to leave it alone. It'll get an occasional wipe over with an oily rag along with the IM and cam cover etc.

Comment

• If you are leaving it raw I recommend using ACF50 on it, not cheap but very good stuff
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                      If you are leaving it raw I recommend using ACF50 on it, not cheap but very good stuff
                      Nice one buddy, will look into that.

Comment

• Glad you''re pleased with the rad dude. Got mine up and running now and the cooling is notably improved. Haven't seen the gauge touch 90 deg yet, even with a 3071 under the bonnet .

Comment

• Great to hear, its chalked up on my list of upgrades for the future
                          Indigo ABY coupé
                          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by tomwood_uk View Post
                            Glad you''re pleased with the rad dude. Got mine up and running now and the cooling is notably improved. Haven't seen the gauge touch 90 deg yet, even with a 3071 under the bonnet .
                            I'm cuffed as **** with it mate, thanks again for leaving your old rad a pattern.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to fit mine for a couple of weeks as it's going in at the same time as changing the steering rack and sorting a few little niggles. One of the more major niggles is that it's looking like I'm going to have to change the lifters, one has started to be noisy at random again, bother I really didn't want to have to do them.

All in all too much work for a weekend, it's a job that's likely to make me quite cross without a proper ramp and air tools, still I'm bloody lucky to have a pit and the tools I have
                            Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 17:14.

Comment

• Originally posted by K Simmonds View Post
                              I'm cuffed as **** with it mate, thanks again for leaving your old rad a pattern

Great to hear you've noticed an improvement with it fitted, I've just started running an RS2+ chip set with my RS2 hybrid turbo and she heats up a fair bit quicker after a couple of heavy right foot applications, EGT's seem within safe limits though.

Unfortunately I'm not going to get a chance to fit mine for a couple of weeks as it's going in at the same time as changing the steering rack and sorting a few little niggles. One of the more major niggles is that it's looking like I'm going to have to change the lifters, one has started to be noisy at random again, bother I really didn't want to have to do them.

All in all too much work for a weekend, it's a job that's likely to make me quite cross without a proper ramp and air tools, still I'm bloody lucky to have a pit and the tools I have
                              You''re welcome mate. Collin's an amazing fabricator, persuaded him to give me a lesson in ally TIG last time I was up there, which has helped no end!

Comment

• Good looking Rad! Is there a possibility to arrange one (maybe with thicker core) for me?

Comment

Working...
                                X