Mr Simmonds 3B lite project.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'll PM you his number
    1989 B3 2.0 3A 80 quattro... Budget 1.8T Project.
    1992 C4 100 2.8 Avant quattro... Mobile Sitting Room.
    1995 RS2... MTM K26/7 380 BHP Conversion.
    1990 Corrado G60... Breaking For Parts.

Comment

• Gret project, love the catch can design and placement!

Where did you place your EGT-sensor?
      If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

• Cheers, it took ages getting the braided hose's the right length and routed so they don't rub, I'm pleased with how it's work out as well. AN stuff is over kill for a breather system but it looks better than silicone IMO and it's lovely to work on when I want to empty the tank etc.

EGT sensor is placed in the downpipe as close to the turbine exit as possible, couple of pic's in this post way back in the thread.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showpos...&postcount=290

Comment

• Looks neat. Now I know where to fit my wideband aswell I always thought it should be further down the DP, but if that works, YAY!
          If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

-CQ 3b "S2".

Comment

• I thought the wideband should be further away as well but as that's where everybody else seems to fit it, with some even using the stock position which is even closer I figure it's no problem.

Comment

• Rad looks nice, not unreasonable either.
              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Took the old girl along to a local classic car show last weekend, it was their first event so I thought it would be good for them to have an interesting variety of cars hence I took my S2 along with my Dad's concourse Volvo 1800 ES.

Got more interest than expected in my car, lot's of guys in their 50's taking pic's of the engine bay and one old chap filmed me setting off through the parking area with great enthusiasm.

On the progress front I've decided to bite the bullet and purchase a genuine K24 7200 to install at the same time as the rack and radiator. The map I have is a one Dmitri did live for Kibby's RS2+ spec UR, while it works OK with my Hybrid I can tell the turbo is surging slightly as it come on to boost which is to be expected given that the hotside is a little smaller than a full RS2 unit. However the car drives so well off boost and on full boost that I reckon it make's more sense to match the turbo to the software than go to to the hassle of a custom map from Automark which seems to be my only option now with a 3B. In fact once I factor in what I'd get for my hybrid I'd be better off bolting a full RS2 blower on and being done with it once and for all.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Looking good

Is that a wheel stud conversion I see? If so have you come across any downsides at all?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• Those guys in their 50's were late 20's early 30's when the S2 came out. Where has the time gone? Your S2 looks very modern amongst that lot excepting the XR4i and the 900 turbo from the pictures.It's been too long since i clapped eyes on what sits behind your car.I can see a row of triumphs behind with a favorite of mine a GT6 Mk3 left of the TR6.Did you give the GT6 a gander? Lift up backwoods bonnet/wings to reveal the whole engine bay/chassis with its glorious straight 6 with twin Stromberg carbs. No getting skinned knuckles working on that it's a doodle as i had one.

One thing for sure Kit,....theres only one decent drivers car there and a good looker for a modern ish car
                    96 URS6 plus speck saloon
                    96 URS6 plus speck estate
                    94 2.6 80 Avant
                    99 2.8 final edition Cabriolet

Comment

• The car is really looking great mate, love all the bugs splattered on the front end Just to let you know I got my RS2 turbo from Will @ VRS, maybe he can sort you out one?
                      1996 S2 ABY Silver

Comment

• Cheer's chaps,

Andy, yes mate I converted to 80 mm studs a while ago as my light weight set of 17"'s are ET40 and 7" wide and need 12 mm spacers to sit right, studs make running spacers much less of a pain when refitting wheels etc. Only downside I can think of is the excess thread showing with the ET27 Compomotives, I can use the 12 mm spacers with them, looks great but cause's tram-lining.

Hell you've got an eye for Triumphs Mark! I did have a good look at the GT6, but not under the bonnet unfortunately, there were a few really nice examples of the breed there. My S2 wasn't quite the newest car, there was a 1992 Alfa Coupe, the 1983 XR4i next to me was absolutely mint having only covered 36K and been garaged all it's life, it deservedly won car of show. Your right about guy's being particularly interested in stuff they lusted after as young men, it's always the eccentric old boy's in their 80's and 90's who have vintage Bentley's etc.

Ryan, I'll give Will at VRS a ring and see what he can offer. I'm bidding on a used one on eBay which doesn't finish for a few days.

Comment

• Cool, who did you get them from? Do you have ball and cone seat through nuts?

Do you think it would stop you from fitting centre caps to avus wheels without spacers?

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• I got them with both nut types from an eBay seller, here's a thread of Andy C's with some links to sellers, the one's he went for look pretty much the same as mine and are a good bit less money. http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...tud+conversion

I'd have though you'd be able to use the Avus center caps with 50 mm studs and no spacers, but you'd have to measure up to be sure mate.

Comment

• Thanks Kit

Sold ABY-stock

Comment

• So as soon as I get my G60 MK2 halfway nailed together properly I'll be going ball's deep into the S2's engine bay to change the turbo, steering rack, radiator and water hose's as well as sorting a couple of little niggles.

It will be done for ADI
                                Last edited by K Simmonds; 9 September 2016, 17:16.

Comment

Working...
                                X