Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brilliant Build!!

Comment

Just wiggled it all back together after realising the clutch was fine, the slave cylinder was leaking! Changed the release bearing while I was in there, but now I have a squeak when the engine is running and even pressing the clutch pedal in doesn't stop it...

Think I'm gonna have to pull it all out again, but does anyone have any idea what it could be??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Oops..... that'll explain it

So I found out what that noise was, it was caused by that knuckle dragging troll who was putting the gearbox back in (Me). You know the little water hose at the back of the block has a bracket through which one of the gearbox bolts passes ? Well while lying under the gearbox I couldn't see it and proceeded to sandwich it between gearbox and engine block, in turn clamping it up so the edge just touched the flywheel! Removed and fixed that issue....

Have changed the CRB as the old one was, well old and worn but clutch plate and pressure plate were a-okay.

...and now to the real issue, I thought my clutch was knackered, turns out my clutch slave was. When I originally put this engine in I replaced the clutch slave cylinder rubbers. While checking stuff as I put the gearbox back in I found that the plastic end on the clutch slave push rod was split, then after removing the push rod the dust cover I found out was full of hydraulic fluid, IOW the slave was leaking!

Finally everything back together and only the slave cylinder and clutch release bearing replaced. Haven't been out for a proper drive as I am in the process of updating the steering wheel code and fitting new headlights.

Thanks as always for your collective wisdom

Comment

love this project!

Comment

COP time

Yesterday on the drive to Hemel I developed a misfire and arranged for the RAC to bring me home. With some fault finding it all looks like one of the bulky old coil packs have died and based on the price for a new one, as Dave has said so many times, since 2005 I think , its time for the new pencil COP conversion.

I'll post a blog about it on my website as I go.

Up front big shout to Dave for his pioneering work on the COP replacement.
            Attached Files

Comment

20VT coil conversion options: 1.8T and LS2

Originally posted by edge_devil View Post
              With some fault finding it all looks like one of the bulky old coil packs have died and based on the price for a new one, as Dave has said so many times, since 2005 I think , its time for the new pencil COP conversion. Up front big shout to Dave for his pioneering work on the COP replacement.
              Thanks. It *was* 2005 (wow 10 years ago). Just scoured my Audiworld posts and it looks like I worked on it through September 2005 and completed the first DIY write-up in early October 2005. By March/April 2006 034 and Apikol clued in that people were using the DIY and started to sell commerical kits. (Neither gave me any public credit, Apikol thanked me privately, 034 nothing - they "came up with it on their own" - Sure).

Anyway, the first coil pack coversion DIY is suprisingly still intact:

http://www.audiworld.com/forums/audi...2159525/page2/

I later ported the DIY over to quattroworld. The key part of this update is the wiring diagram (below) and the details on the 4 pin Volvo connector (found by somebody in Latvia) that mimics the 4 pin end of the POSs (you need two):

The Updated 1.8T coilpack DIY on quattorworld
              http://forums.quattroworld.com/s4s6/msgs/183485.phtml

The wiring diagram also works for the GM V8 LS2 coil-awayfrom-plug coils that are inexpensive and you can mount them in a cool place.

EFI Express offers both "1.8T" (actually now 2.0 TFSI) coilpack and LS2 Conversion kits (plug and play):

1.8T = http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=66

LS2 = http://www.efiexpress.com/catalog/pr...products_id=18

Last edited by UrS4boy; 1 July 2015, 17:38.
              RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
              94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

First Pass at COP replacement

I've thrown the 5 pencil coils in and thrown a temporary loom in and all looks good.

I'm waiting on some cable wrap then I can wrap it up, terminate the cables and I'm ready for a test drive.

Although this is not a performance improvement, the throttle response does seem more instantaneous, but once again until I drive it I won't know for sure.. can't wait!

The strap I've put over the top I'm looking to potentially add heatsinks to and I've used it as two of the plugs were type J not L.. my bad!!

Comment

The strap I've put over the top I'm looking to potentially add heatsinks to and I've used it as two of the plugs were type J not L.. my bad!!
                  WHAT!!! 115L is what I recommended as the "most recent" version.

BACK IN SEPT 2005!!!!!

115Js were what 034 supplied with their first conversion kits in April 2006. There were, as I would have expected, failures. Don't know why they did that. Doomed to failure out of the box.

Back to the present: I don't know why you are using 10 year old coilpacks. Strongly suggest updating to 2.0TFSI coils or 4.2L V8 coils. There are what I am running now (for the past 4 years IIRC):

(Congrats on building the harness - must have been a doddle for you).

Comment

Hi Dave,

Yeah the loom was easy

I've used the readily available cheap pencils because I had to modify them and I didn't want to start modifying brand new ones. That said, I'm now happy with what I'm doing and the loom can accept the latest 2.0 Tfsi coils without an issue.

I'm waiting on some nice fibreglass/silicon cable sheathing and some smaller p-clips then I'm nearly there. I have moved the low power side ground to the same earthing point as the high power side it just simplifies the wiring. The loom plugs from the ECU I have also replaced with AMP waterproof connectors.

Comment

Hi Dave,Yeah the loom was easy I've used the readily available cheap pencils because I had to modify them and I didn't want to start modifying brand new ones. That said, I'm now happy with what I'm doing and the loom can accept the latest 2.0 Tfsi coils without an issue. .
                      The thing is the 2.0TFSI coils don't need modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
                        The thing is the 2.0TFSI coils don't need modifications.
                        Oh... I didn't realise that! That'll teach me to RTFM next time

...[Update] Ordered!
                        Last edited by edge_devil; 9 July 2015, 10:37.

Comment

So i went for a test drive, all seems good but she was a bit hesitant and the more throttle I gave her as she crept higher in the revs she seemed to really hold back. I had a feeling this was ignition advance so I disconnected the knock sensors and drove the last mile home. Hesitation gone...are my knock sensors knackered, is there an easy test?

(I do realise disconnecting them forces a limp home mode that automatically reduces ignition advance and boost, but with them connected I have the feeling that ignition is being too far advanced and the knock sensors are not picking this up.)
                          Last edited by edge_devil; 10 July 2015, 09:36.

Comment

Not sure about test procedure but make sure they are torqued correctly
                            Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Thanks Greg

Actually did some testing today, and the fact that unplugging them forces limp home hints to me that the cabling is okay.

I'll post up the video later...

But have ordered a new blue and green knock sensor just in case.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

And here is the video link of me testing the knock sensors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X