My 95 S2 Avant Project. LZ5T Coolness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL thank you

Yea the wiring is a huge relief. But there is still the engine bay to look forward to.

While waiting for some bits to arrive to finish off the dash, I fitted the roof trim and I decided to tackle my nightmare, the rear windows. Ever since the first days of strip down I wasn't looking forward to doing these, but in the end it wasn't too bad.

I used this stuff, its polyurethane , primer and activator.

I also needed 6 of these. They hold the window at the correct level and are clips for the cover.

In my opinion I also needed these. These are spacers that keep the glass the correct distance from the body, and the correct distance from the roof trim. There is no Audi part number for them, and I only had 1.

So I 3d printed 4 copies and used those.

After primer dried, the activator was applied to both the primer and the old trimmed adhesive.

After that dried, I placed a pointed bead of adhesive along the old path of the adhesive.

You cannot see it here but I had a protective apron over the wing when I applied the glass to the body.

You can see the spacer doing its job here.

After it cured I was able to refit the outer seal again.

Done.
    Last edited by irishs2; 11 July 2017, 21:32.
    Eric

95 S2 Avant under rebuild.

Comment

• Sticking with the exterior for a moment, I trial fitted the roof rails to get the right depth of those bolts that hold it.

After getting the correct depth for the roof rail bolts the roof rails must come off and sealant applied to the bolts.

I also installed a new antenna. Its FM and DAB. A Kinetic 6004. Its a steeper angle than the stock one. The cable was routed before the carpet went in.

More sound deadening

For those of you wondering about weight, I removed about 2.3Kg of old deadening material from the boot section.(yep I collected it and weighted it)

The new 4mm deadening material in the boot section alone comes to about 5kg .

I also managed to get the dash in and roughly aligned up. Got to route a few cables next. I also changed the wood trim for carbon fiber.

Last edited by irishs2; 11 July 2017, 21:33.
      Eric

Comment

• Excellent work, have you got LEDs fitted in the event?
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• It's coming together nicely. On mine I felt like getting the dash in was a real milestone.
          Where did you get the new antenna from mate? Mine is crap and despite the excellent tuner on the Becker it struggles to pick up much.
          Has someone graffitied your vents?
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Yep I have addressable rgb LEDs in the dash vents. As I was putting the dash together I thought i'd put these in.
            Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
              It's coming together nicely. On mine I felt like getting the dash in was a real milestone.
              Where did you get the new antenna from mate? Mine is crap and despite the excellent tuner on the Becker it struggles to pick up much.
              Has someone graffitied your vents?

Yea , What I have in mind hopefully won't be too gimmicky , if it is Ill just leave them off.

I got the antenna from http://www.dabonwheels.co.uk/
              It had an identical quality feel to the old one. Nice snug fit too.
              I got the pack with the bundled 5.5m cables,
              Eric

Comment

• I thought that the headliner was a) enough sound deadening and b) glued (in spots) to the inner metal roof. How are you going to attach your headliner board to the sound deadening?

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
                94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

• Love this thread, proper re-build, do you actually have a 3d printer? There's going to be so many uses for them

Comment

• I have high temp 3m double sided adhesive tape that will stick to the aluminium of the material above.
                    Will find out very soon if it works.
                    Eric

Comment

• Originally posted by Rubberdubber View Post
                      Love this thread, proper re-build, do you actually have a 3d printer? There's going to be so many uses for them
                      Yea, during the summer I picked up a k8200 3d printer very cheaply secondhand, (350euro for printer and 7 1 kg rolls of filament)
                      http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-k...nter-kit-n82qg

Printed these in nylon 645 Co-Polymer.

I also Printed these screw covers for a coupe in rubber for Nuvo
                      Eric

Comment

• This is quite some labour of love... smacks of OCD too though, but in a good way - teehee...

3D printers are going to be the salvation of many a plastic part that Audi has allowed to go NLA or TFE ... I predict some future threads with files that can be printed to create all sorts of odd clips, covers and such.
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                          This is quite some labour of love... smacks of OCD too though, but in a good way - teehee...

3D printers are going to be the salvation of many a plastic part that Audi has allowed to go NLA or TFE ... I predict some future threads with files that can be printed to create all sorts of odd clips, covers and such.

Have greatly enjoyed the progress so far. Keep at it, even if it gives me irresponsible ideas of my own.
                          Find me on Instagram @pry4sno
                          2010 Golf Sportwagen TDI /// #farmenwagen
                          2002 Dodge Ram 2500 24v Cummins 4x4
                          1992 80q 20v /// Eventual AAN'd Winter Sled
                          1990 Cq /// Project: Because Racecar

Comment

• Time to fit glass on the doors.

The old window <> door seals were ok just had to be cleaned.

Newer style clips

Door locks were cleaned, greased and new seals on all 4.

I had an old screwdriver that broke a long time ago, for some reason I never threw it away, now I know why
                            Masking tape on the other side was enough to hold the button while unscrewing.

I also replaced the button caps on the glass of the front two doors.

Rebuild all the regulators with new grease, and cleaned the shaft as some of them were starting to corrode.

Glass in on both sides. I had wanted to use S6 door handles and locks but delays getting them delivered means I have to install them at a later date.

I blasted and plated the tailgate catches. I also put a new nylon insert into the lock catch.

The tailgate lock was siezed, and was the cause of my trouble oh so very long ago trying to get the tailgate open.
                            I eventually got it unlocked in my hand by tapping it with a mallet, then I was able to strip it down and clean each lock slider pin.

Managed to pick up a new B3 90 taillight section.

Of course fitting this required a modification to the release handle.

One cut and powercoated handle.

Removed the spring thanks to mcandmar's post on the topic.

Last edited by irishs2; 11 July 2017, 21:31.
                            Eric

Comment

• That looks stunning and it's not even finished yet. Will probably be the best S2 in UK for sure.

Where did you get new nylon inserts?
                              '93 Audi 100 Avant - R.I.P
                              '92 Audi UrS4 Avant - SOLD
                              '93 Audi UrS4 Avant LPG

Comment

• *cough* UK ? lol

Thanks

I printed them in a cylinder shape , slit them on one side, and epoxied them on.
                                Eric

Comment

Working...
                                X