The '2 ton bugswatter' - back for a gentle stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JP View Post
    Tiny little update going to start over the weekend to get the car up and running again as I've taken delivery of some goodies.
    Didn't take the easy route With a 5+ pressure plate I see

Comment

• Had a long think about it and came to the conclusion it wasn't going to sort my requirements as the full face friction disc made it difficult to shift fast and almost impossible to shift above 7500rpm. Coupled with the fact the springs had let go on the friction plate I didnt fancy risking it again even with a stronger pressure plate.
      UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• Do you have a 5+ pressure plate installed Audi CQ? I'll be using one of them with the stage 3+ clucth plate and plan on pushing the 6262 turbo to it's limits

There's a lot of reviews both good and bad, so I'm hoping I'll have a good one
        ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

• Reviews are partially down to good and bad installs.

People not using new flywheels, refacing old ones, not.bedding them in properly etc...

My friend has one in his rs4 that does 780. And 1000nm. Went 19 times down the quarter with r888's no issues. Will at vrs had one in his audi80 no issues at 640hp and 900nm. Literally comes down to how the power is delivered and the weight of the vehicle. Both of which are against me.
          UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• JP,this tilton clutch kit is rated for 1300 ftlb?
            RED Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 16 of 250
            BLACK Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI TME nº 189 of 250
            LWB Audi Sport Quattro project

Comment

• No this one is rated to 850ft/lb Twin cerametallic. I've got a triple sintered one second hand with 500miles on it for £550+shipping to anyone that wants it rated to 1050ft/lb decided not to use that as felt it was a tad too harsh for the road.
              UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat D View Post
                Do you have a 5+ pressure plate installed Audi CQ? I'll be using one of them with the stage 3+ clucth plate and plan on pushing the 6262 turbo to it's limits

There's a lot of reviews both good and bad, so I'm hoping I'll have a good one
                I've got the 5+/3+ combo yes.
                Been running it the last 5 years with an avarage of 1000km pr year with track day action and more then 700nm @wheels without any problems.
                Not done any drag race so not sure how it will hold up to that punishment

Comment

• So who said projects never end were right. Believe it or not we have an update

First of work has been very busy so it possibly turned into the most painful long clutch change ever.

Being my finekety self I decided I wouldn't be happy to change the flywheel without rebalancing the rotating assembly so figured it'd be easier to pull the lump and do it on the bench because of the steel strap girdle setup rather than on a ramp as I wanted to make sure it stayed oil leak free.

This meant me being me, I decided to upgrade the baffled diy sump to a full blown one from will @vrs northampton whilst it was of as the acceleration on the car ended up being a tad more extreme than I anticipated and even on the road the g's are enough to surge the oil to the back of the sump area with my channeled sump making the breather system/oil seperator work to it's extreme and on any incline start to fill the catchtank.

I also decided to return the oil seperator to above oil level at the front of the sump so it could act as a secondary crankcase breather under hard acceleration.

Several weeks of doing a little here and there late at night I finally brought the engine back to refit with it's new twin plate clutch. As you can see from the amount of balancing holes my definition of zero balanced was a tad different from the guys that made the flywheel so I'm happy I made the choice to rebalance.

I also fitted the billet 034 throwout bearing. As you can see I was incredibly lazy in the level I went to of cleaning the inside of the bellhousing

Whilst the engine was out I also looked at the messy pipework and figured the car has gone so far it was goodbye aircon and goodbye viscous fan assembly. You can also see the lovely Carbon timing cover from carbon design, with it's extension to clear the vernier pulley

I managed to pull near enough 325 miles over the weekend bedding in the clutch and I forgot how rapid the car actually was even on part throttle part boost driving. By the end of saturday it had had another 4-5hrs of hard life on it's clocks. Also happy to report with the new baffled and return setup all the catch tank collected in this time was a bit of water vapour and no oil in sight

and by Sunday she was shiny again

I also kept meaning to upload the VE table prj had forwarded to me. Made me very happy as we discovered this anomaly whilst mapping. The maths I'd done on cam profile vs port cc and runner cc/length coupled with using the plenumb chamber as a resonant tuned harmonic came in expecting a boost at approx 6000-6200rpm to give a broader torque curve when coming close to the 6800-7000 peak power figure area.

It ended up with some bonuses where you can see from the ve spikes that the resonant trumpet chamber design not only worked at 6000rpm but also at 2 lower rpm points meaning all the hard work in the intake design paid of giving me driveability on and off boost

That's it for the moment. Bigger brakes are going on imminently courtesy of VRS Northampton once again and then back for the final touch ups of miscellaneous stupid damage I have done to the car whilst mapping and pulling the engine in and out All being well will do my first ever show and shine at Players Classic @ Goodwood first week of june and then go and rag the living daylights out of it on track
                  UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• Interested in some info on the cam pulley setup. I Will need one for my build so any pics or links? Maybe I asked you this before....

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• Glad you've got it back up and running
                      S2Forum.com Administrator

Comment

• Diesel Des this is the only pic I can find.

I used a spring loaded tensioner from 16v abf and made a bolt on plate with appropriate spacer welded to it. The plate bolts to the three m8 holes situated in the area of the original aan tensioner.
                        UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

Tiny little update going to start over the weekend to get the car up and running again as I've taken delivery of some goodies.

why did you chose an alloy flywheel over an steel or Chrome-Moly Flywheel??
                          Last edited by strokerrules; 26 May 2013, 22:53.

Comment

• Had a 7A flywheel before with sachs race clutch and it chewed up the front face of the flywheel when it started to slip. Then had a chromemoly one (albeit the wrong one) which suffered from horrible clutch rattle/chatter on a multiplate. So then went aluminium single plate which sounded very civilised on the road and worked fine. So as I needed something available of the shelf tried and tested and this was available for delivery within a couple of days I took the plunge. Have to say it works very well until you press the clutch pedal down it doesn't sound like a multiplate clutch. Chatter is non existent above 2200rpm. And when it chews up the faceplate I can unbolt it and fit a new one without the worry of ballancing anything.

Came to the conclusion I'm never going to run big big hp figures in the uk as the cost of race fuel puts me of and the car has done what I want it to which is be a borderline silly family street car so the aluminium will suffice.
                            UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• Do you have any plans to upgrade what remains of the original suspension bushing and or mounts?

Comment

Thankyou guys, as for group buy can't realistically see it happening. Not only has it been made to fit as a one of but the man hours exceed a 120. + cost of materials,welding gas, billet components, milling time etc.... Retail would be getting on for £3.5k to make it viable to make again. Realistically only viable because it was my own time coming in at a fraction of the cost

sorry for digging up an old post, but we're doing some re-engineering of a quattro for a customer at the moment, and the old inlet discussion has come up, and (hasten to add not having done as much research and development as JP!) concluded that to make anything that is going to be approaching "ideal" in any areas at all would be similarly expensive!!

Comment

Working...
                                X