No announcement yet.

My 3B to RS2 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A GT35r wouldn't have the problem in normal driving as it does boost until 4k rpm or later and then full boost way up the range.

I would check your wastegate piping and also the wastegate diaphram thinking about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamo View Post
      A GT35r wouldn't have the problem in normal driving as it does boost until 4k rpm or later and then full boost way up the range.

I would check your wastegate piping and also the wastegate diaphram thinking about it.
      Yes, could be leaking at higher boost and allowing the WG to close..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

• John, have you adjusted the WG spring? Sounds like it's too tight.
        Cheers'en, AndyC
        1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Andy, its not a spring thing, it does adjust peak boost but its still double what it should be at high rpms.
          Spoke to Doug at MRC, he said something is definitely wrong, it should come up to whatever the mechanical boost is set at by the spring then stay there as it revs out. It should not keep rising and end up at 2 bar on a 1 bar spring. This means the WG is not controlling the boost which he would normally only expect to see on a bigger turbo like a 35R, not a 3071.. He suggested I pipe the turbo pressure side straight into the WG to check the WGFV is not leaking, which I've done and its no different. He also said it can be caused by an exhaust thats too good, ie not enough back pressure and suggested I try running with a baffle in the tail pipe to simulate more back pressure. I may well do this tomorrow when I can work out a method..
          Or maybe my Wastegate is just worn out?

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Sure it is a 1 bar spring and not a 2 bar one?
            Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonas_R View Post
              Sure it is a 1 bar spring and not a 2 bar one?
              Well, its probably a 1.9 bar spring but what I mean is its set for 1 bar of boost, on the old RS2 turbo it would give 1 Bar at anything less than WOT. At WOT the WGFV would upp the boost to about 2 Bar.

Today I'm going to put a stock spring in to see if it makes any difference.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• How can you set a 1.9 bar spring for 1 bar boost? That does not make sense in my world.
                Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

• Originally posted by Jonas_R View Post
                  How can you set a 1.9 bar spring for 1 bar boost? That does not make sense in my world.
                  It's 1.9 bar absolute so it includes atmospheric pressure in the rating so in real terms it is 0.9 bar relative rating.

Crazy marketing ratings, bigger is better etc

Comment

• @Jamo
                    Yeah oki that explains it then.

@newsh
                    To little back pressure seems unlikely, Iam running 3" exhaust turbo back and no cats, no middle silencer etc. and the wagner EM. Does seem to me that your lower part of the wastegate is leaking into the upper part. This would cause high boost since the the wastegate stays closed.
                    Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

• Suspect there's an issue here - I drove my 3B with the GT3071R on a custom MRC map to 1.5bar (for the K24). It was overboosting to 1.6bar in the mid-range as the ECU struggled to reign in that mighty efficient beast of a turbo, but it did bleed off boost near the top end. The point is, with a very similar set-up my stock WG had no problems handling it. An unmentionable person demontrated mechanical boost to me on my Avant with the GT3071R, set to 1.9bar on the spring, yet it was spiking & overboosting something crazy. My conclusion was to get it ECU controlled.
                      AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

• Right chaps, just did the stock spring experiment, i now have only 0.5 Bar of boost through the midrange rising at 4k5 to 2Bar at 5k. So the spring is definitely not controlling the high rpm boost.

Ross, I think you're right theres an issue here. Either the WG is closing at high revs or not flowing enough for some other reason.

Jonas, yes, 1 Bar of boost is 2 Bar atmospheric, springs are sold calibrated in atmosheric or "absolute".. can be confusing.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Could it be that the valve in the wastegate is bent or sticking?
                          Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

• New wastegate time

Comment

• Something is a bit fishy there. You're only producing 0.5bar boost so the gas flow shouldn't be that great, certainly less than with an RS2 turbo at 2 bar gauge. Thus, with no WG control the boost should not rise, the WG should flow well enough.

IDEA, what if the pipe after the WG is blocked? Is defo worth trying another WG in there too.
                              Cheers'en, AndyC
                              1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                                Right chaps, just did the stock spring experiment, i now have only 0.5 Bar of boost through the midrange rising at 4k5 to 2Bar at 5k. So the spring is definitely not controlling the high rpm boost.

Ross, I think you're right theres an issue here. Either the WG is closing at high revs or not flowing enough for some other reason.

Jonas, yes, 1 Bar of boost is 2 Bar atmospheric, springs are sold calibrated in atmosheric or "absolute".. can be confusing.
                                Well I would suspect that your wastegate is leaking between lower and upper chamber or perhaps you got a sticky N75, or was this tried without the N75?
                                Sleeper S2 Avant +450

A6 Avant 2.7t Stage 3

Audi S2 Coupe RS2'ed

Comment

Working...
                                X