No announcement yet.

My 3B to RS2 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh up lads, its been a while since I posted in here, the catch tank has now come off and PCV replaced, it was too smelly with the system open. Catch tank and a bunch of hose for sale.
    Since then the car has been off the road for a while after the gear shift went all loose so I took it to Pete at White Cottage Quattros to get sorted and to get some other bits and pieces done.
    The Spec stage 3 paddle clutch has come out, I didn't like it, too much like a switch really frustrating to drive and too high up on the pedal, it also started making a screeching noise on gearchanges.. its been replaced with a 3+ unit which is supposedly unburstable and is certainly easier to drive, just a slight judder if you are lazy with the rpms pulling away in traffic.. While it was off the 6 speed has been replaced with another one to try and cure a rattle under load that was hissing me off, seems a little better, not sure, maybe its these hard clutch materials that pass more noise through to the car or the 6 speed being noisier than the 5..
    Anyway I'll have a 6 speed with RS2 first gear for sale, if anyone is interested PM me.
    While all this was going on I asked Pete to check out the geometry as the car had been steering a bit funny since I hit a sleeping policeman a bit hard on a dark night.. Turns out the near side leg was bent and needed replacing, tracking and camber were badly out of wack. Aelred came up trumps with the parts to sort this out and after a high speed trip in the ur to a layby near Swindon the S2 was as good as back on the road Last but not least the A8 discs were replaced with a new pair, dimpled by Pete's fair hand in his drilling machine and some DS2500 pads fitted. (once I'd got the right ones..) These are now the best brakes I've had so far on the S2, the pads are every bit as good as people have said (which is just as well at that price!)
    So its good to be driving the S2 again, its going and stopping nicely. Still need to sort out the interior lights and the paintwork..

Oh yes, I've started to have problems with the Samcos, first the hose from IC to inlet tube blew off a couple of months back, no matter what I did it just kept blowing off, seems like the rubber has swolen and as you do up the clip it forces the hose off the tube. Now the same has started happening with the tube to Throttle Body hose, you get it set up and do up the clips, go for a ride and it just blows off, the tighter you do up the clips the easier it comes off, weird. I've gone back to a stock TB hose and a bit of straight blue SFS for the other hose. Actually the boost gauge is a bit steadier with the stock TB hose in there so maybe its been leaking for a while but only at full boost.
    Time to convert to the RS2 inlet pipe and MAF hose arrangement I've had sitting in the shed for months..
    Last edited by newsh; 28 July 2007, 00:30.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
    sigpic

Comment

I might be interested in buying your catch tank and hose John, my other S2's breather system was completely destroyed so i will need to have something there to replace it when i sell it.

PM me if its still up for grabs.

Cheers.
      Bo
      91 S2 coupé - RIP
      98 S8 - Luxury barge

Comment

When you go to put the Rs2 inlet pipe etc on could you post up some pictures so I can see what they are like, cheers.

Comment

awesome buildup

Comment

Very nice project. How much HP do you think you are making?
            "There's NO such thing as TOO much POWER!!!!!"
            Watch out 10 second 1/4 mile. Here I come....

Comment

I would think high 300s (360-380 ish) I've now got a massive FMIC on the car too. The next thing I need to do is a full turbo back 3" system or at least a downpipe, which should take me to 400, then I'm thinking GT3071 so it spools quicker and holds on longer Torque is fairly good at the mo, full boost by 3k.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Intercooler, full details in S2 Bo's thread Clicky HERE
                Attached Files

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Looks really good. How does it perform?

A reverse inlet manifold would be spot on here. Would remove about a meter of pipework.

Nice job though..

Comment

Originally posted by DJones View Post
                    Looks really good. How does it perform?

A reverse inlet manifold would be spot on here. Would remove about a meter of pipework.

Nice job though..
                    Yes, I'm keeping my eye out

Thanks, it works really well

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Very nice .
                      Which engine mapping do you have on the car?
                      I want to make something similar to mine and at the moment that is what worries me more.
                      Thanks.
                      Cheers from Spain.
                      Audi Coupé S2 '92 -- VW Golf 2 GTI '91 (v2) -- Renault 4 TL '84 -- Audi 100 2,3E '92 (Dad's) -- Suzuki SV 650 S '08

Comment

• Originally posted by javispa View Post
                        Very nice .
                        Which engine mapping do you have on the car?
                        I want to make something similar to mine and at the moment that is what worries me more.
                        Thanks.
                        Cheers from Spain.
                        Car is mapped by Mihnea at MRC

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Hi, Nice going there!

Are You running a 3071 turbo with stock Rs2 Airbox ?

Cheers!
                          sigpic
                          Audi S2 Coupe - 92
                          Koni + H&R. PowerFlex bushes. 3" Exhaust
                          RS2 IC. RS2 TURBO. RS2 EX MAINFOLD
                          Best ET 2006 13.8 @ 157 Km/h (Stock turbo and EX mainfold)
                          Best ET 2007 12.78 402m, 0-62mph: 4.2 sec, Speed: 175 km/h (GTEC)(1.1bar)
                          Best ET 2007 201m 8.15@140km/h
                          Best ET 2008 402m 12.34@177km/h
                          My Project
                          http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16997

Comment

• Originally posted by Eriksson View Post
                            Hi, Nice going there!

Are You running a 3071 turbo with stock Rs2 Airbox ?

Cheers!
                            Not yet but I plan to.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              Car is mapped by Mihnea at MRC
                              Thanks.
                              Good to see that there's avaliable a reliable map for RS2 specifications on 3B. Probably I will talk to them soon.

Originally posted by newsh View Post
                              I would think high 300s (360-380 ish) I've now got a massive FMIC on the car too. The next thing I need to do is a full turbo back 3" system or at least a downpipe, which should take me to 400, then I'm thinking GT3071 so it spools quicker and holds on longer Torque is fairly good at the mo, full boost by 3k.
                              Which is the boost presure? I would like to know that to see if with a mapping like yours my car and my friend Ferni308's (from the Spanisk Forum) one would perform as my friend's do now. My friend's car is nearly finished. He mounts a RS2 exhaust manifold (waiting to fit a RS2 downpipe and a 3 inch exhaust line), RS2 turbo, injectors and exhaust RS2 camshaft (he also has the inlet RS2 cam, but at the moment he mounts the 3B stock one... as we thought they were just the same). The only thing missing is a new mapping. At the moment he changed the MAP sensor using a 3Kpa one, and he uses some chips he bought through ebay. With the stock map sensor, the turbo blows more or less at 1-1,2 bar, but with the 3Kpa map sensor, I have seen (and driven the car) the boost pressure at 1,9bar. With this configuration, the car is like a plane, terribly fast... but we know that like this the engine does not work as it used to. This is why at the moment he uses this mapping with the stock map sensor, but the idea is to map the car properly...
                              By the way... the intercooler is just gorgeous!
                              Cheers!!
                              Last edited by javispa; 7 January 2008, 18:35.
                              Audi Coupé S2 '92 -- VW Golf 2 GTI '91 (v2) -- Renault 4 TL '84 -- Audi 100 2,3E '92 (Dad's) -- Suzuki SV 650 S '08

Comment

• Boost runs at 1.8 - 1.9 bar from 3-4k then falling towards redline.

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X