Boost is the new rock and roll!
      sigpic

Comment

Its still looking pretty shiny to me
        Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

John - we have seen the collapsing rubber hose issue on a number of cars - it is common on 1.8t and on 320+ S2s.

You do not want to see what a collapsed hose can do to a turbo!
          S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Never noticed this post before
            But WOW Newsh, it looks gorgeous.
            Im gonna have Jimmys bit done when i move back up north.
            Cant wait

Tina

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
              John - we have seen the collapsing rubber hose issue on a number of cars - it is common on 1.8t and on 320+ S2s.

You do not want to see what a collapsed hose can do to a turbo!
              Seems like I have been lucky, I did have the hose beefed up with a piece of rubber and tie wraps to stop it wearing through, so maybe it wasn't collapsing completely, the effect though, when it happened was like on a ur when the ECU cuts the fuel pump, not funny. So what can happen to the turbo then? Can the hose get sucked right through it?

Originally posted by GirlRacer
              But WOW Newsh, it looks gorgeous.
              Tina thanks! In reality the car could do with a re-spray on bonnet and front bumper now and I need to spend some time with the Solvol Autosol, still looks good at night though

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
                So what can happen to the turbo then? Can the hose get sucked right through it?
                compressor housing shears off the turbo !
                S2,RS2,S4 WB,RS4,S4 B8,RS6 C5,RS6 C6,R8

Comment

Originally posted by Doug_RS2
                  compressor housing shears off the turbo !

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Newsh, please, colud you say to me the dimensions os spacer to put de RS2 IM?

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by 400hp_project
                      Newsh, please, colud you say to me the dimensions os spacer to put de RS2 IM?

Thanks
                      Wouldn't it be simpler to by an ABY intake pipe? as i thought this was the reason it was short?

Comment

Originally posted by newsh
                        A couple of updates on the car as its going really well lately. I finally fitted the Samco MAF-Turbo hose a month or two ago and the strange and unpredictable high boost cutout behaviour has stopped and she is going like a train, no probs with full throttle at all and no need to back off to get good drive. Since there appears to be nothing at all wrong with the original hose I can only think that Mihnea was correct when he said that perhaps the sucktion from the RS2 turbo at full chat, was collapsing the hose and starving the motor of air, incredible but all I can say is its running great, doubly so in the last few days after fitting the RS2 airbox. This makes slightly less noise, it seems on accelleration but more as the DV opens, which is nice, and the motor pulls better and revs out more cleanly, mind you the car needs a lot of road to rev it out through the gears these days cant imagine what its like to drive one of these with a really big turbo.. (quite like to fid out though.. )

I've included some pics of the 2 airboxes for posterity, and to try and show how tight the hose was to fit with the RS2 intercooler, it would probably be worth getting the ABY hose and moving the DV into the later position. Also a pic to show that Bling does not stay bling forever, I've got some polishing and re-painting to do!
                        i've had a hose collapse with only boost at 10 p.s.i. ,but it was a boost hose that i was using on the induction side.it seems strange that a ribbed hose should collpse unless there was a restiction with the air filter.but it's established that an rs2 filter can flow plenty(with the power they put out).i'd be interested to see the new silicone pipe under full suction on a rolling road run then one without a filter.got any lined up?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamo
                          Wouldn't it be simpler to by an ABY intake pipe? as i thought this was the reason it was short?
                          Yes, or even extend the 3B pipe by 15mm.. I didn't say it was the sensible way to do it

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Thought I should put this here as well

Instructions for the "newsh PCV Mod" (The adaptor that saves you buying a bit of rubber pipe for £96 +VAT)

I use piece of 40mm ally bar 60mm long.
                            Reduce one end to 30mm dia x 20 long and the other to 20mm dia x 20mm. Bore out to leave about 3mm wall thickness.
                            Drill a hole though the side of the center section and tap a 12mm thread.
                            Take a piece of 12mm studding and turn the threads off one end and drill through with about 6.5mm drill. Screw into the reducer part with some PTFE tape to seal it and lock off with a thin M12 nut.

You need a short bit of 30mm a short bit of 20mm and a half metre of 8mm bore pipe and the relevant hose clips.

Sorted.

The one below was an earlier version before I discovered the trick of locking the side branch with a nut, I used to locktite the thread in.
                            Attached Files

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

wish I'd seen that one a few months ago!! Best goto vagparts though if you want an original, they're "only" eighty-something quid then
                              AUDI - saving Dad's from minivans since 1994

Comment

Update..

PCV system removed in favour of catch tank, in this thread here.

http://www.s2forum.com/forum/showthr...t=20696&page=2

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X