Stroker S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Billman View Post
    The AEL Block I used had the dipstick hole. the rest of the mods must be done there also.

On AEL You need to machine also the flzwheel area for the crankshaft positioning sensor and the speed sensor.
    I was going to machine the bell housing for the sensors but I'll be using an Autronic ECU and utilize the internal trigger wheel that is on the ACV crankshaft.
    ABY S2 stroker (work in progress)

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Billet main caps, tunneled.

Wagner manifold

Attached Files
      Last edited by Pat D; 19 October 2012, 07:10.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

What did you make the main caps from? and what are you planning to rev it to?
        sigpic
        1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
        1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
        1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Main caps are from 034 http://www.034motorsport.com/engine-...5-p-22585.html

I'll keep the revs at 8k, using hydraulic buckets.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Are you using a girdle on the mains caps Pat?
            Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
            Indigo ABY coupé
            Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

I was, then I decided not to. But it's crossing my mind again.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

Just out of interest how did the guys machining it find doing the line boring? As the only two companies I trust in the UK don't want to do the job as the cutting blade will skip between the two densities of material hence opting to steel strap mine.
                UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

As long as you take really fine passes with the horizontal borer it would be fine, the metal differences would not be that great, the billet caps will not be made of some exotic steel, they would be something of similar density to the cast block, something like 4140 (Chromoly). Its just they are considerably chunkier than the original caps.
                  Pat could get them NDT'd to determine hardness & density.
                  Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

Be interesting to know what the tensile/compressive increase is with the steel main caps. Because if they are the same sort of tensile strength then their ability to resist the crush forces of the crank makes no marked improvement because they are bulkier. As the force is still acting on the same surface area. You'll get improved block rigidity but not stop cap distortion/ovalling. Ideally there would be a 4fold increase like when fitting ductile liners to help resist compressive forces and have an elastic ability to resume original shape. Which then makes it tedious to machine.
                    UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• They are made of a low carbon steel generally 1045 grade:
                      1045 is a medium tensile low hardenability carbon steel generally supplied in the black hot rolled or occasionally in the normalised condition, with a typical tensile strength range 570 - 700 Mpa and Brinell hardness range 170 - 210 in either condition.
                      Characterised by fairly good strength and impact properties, plus good machinability and reasonable weldability in the hot rolled or normalised condition.

1045 has a low through hardening capability with sections up to around 60mm only generally recommended as suitable for through hardening and tempering. It can however be successfully flame or induction hardened in the as rolled or normalised condition resulting in surface hardnesses of up to Rc 54 - Rc 60 depending upon quenching medium employed, type of set up, section size etc. Core strengths will remain as supplied.

It does not however respond satisfactorily to nitriding due to a lack of suitable alloying elements.

1045 is used extensively by all industry sectors for applications requiring more strength and wear resistance than the low carbon mild steels can provide and the higher strength of the low alloy high tensile steels is not necessary, plus those applications requiring flame or induction hardening.

Typical applications are: Axles Various, Bolts, Connecting Rods, Hydraulic Clamps and Rams, Pins Various, Rolls Various, Studs, Shafts, Spindles etc.
                      Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler.--:Albert Einstein

Comment

• ^^^^ good info approx 3 times strength of the cast grey so well worth it as an upgrade, back to the project
                        UrS6 Stroker + HTA3586 =

Comment

• wow Pat, I've finally read all your project thread...looks awesome....

probably a daft question about the head lining but did they just use the standard trim and cover it in alcantara or was there something else?....

I'm looking forward to the completion of this project...and the engine shots...

Comment

• Just out of interest how did the guys machining it find doing the line boring? As the only two companies I trust in the UK don't want to do the job as the cutting blade will skip between the two densities of material hence opting to steel strap mine.
                            They didn't mention any issues when doing the line bore, I can ask when I see them next.

probably a daft question about the head lining but did they just use the standard trim and cover it in alcantara or was there something else?....
                            The headlining was done using ordinary grey sponge backed velour, I thought this would suit it well.

I recently bought a A4, and the owner had the roof done in what looks like Alcantara. It looks great but unless the upholsterer wasn't the best, it seems like a hard material to use for roof linings, getting it to sit nice around tight corners, bends, etc with the odd wrinkle here and there. Looks great otherwise.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Pat D; 21 October 2012, 01:47.

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

• Installing these carbon fiber sills made my day, they look brilliant! Cheers to aronmatic2 for supplying them

Attached Files

B5 1.8T quattro

B4 2.3 (decommissioned)

Comment

• They look awesome against the blue. One of the things on my long list of wants but unfortunately they are quite near the bottom
                                Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                                Indigo ABY coupé
                                Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Working...
                                X