No announcement yet.

My AAN 2.2 20v Turbo B5 A4 Avant build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Struts, hubs, lower link arms, ARB all removed for final fit of solid bushings, and spacers where needed

cant wait for this bit, i can move the car in and out then!

oh and it wouldnt move because ive got a nackered wheelbearing on the new o/s/f hub so the disc rubs on the hub......... hence why it would roll forward but not push back.!!

brakepipes started, will have the front brakes all fitted up and torqued final fit tomorrow night aswell hopefully!

then i can roll it out at the weekend and crack on with the gauges, seat and odds and sods inside............. `AAAAAV IT!!
    1993 URS4 Avant Emerald Green 350+bhp
    1991 Ford Sierra Sapphire 4x4 in Magenta
    BoooOOOSSSSSTTTT BANG BANG CHIRP CHIRP

Comment

• Good work mate, keep it up! How is your leg/foot?

Comment

• i can walk on it fine now,
        bit tender and the elastic sock thing drives me mad but i can function 100% again, albeit gently

now the nights are getting darker i have a problem with my garage,

the ligh that is in there is on a magic eye and 3 minute timer, so once triggered i have 3 mins before it goes off.
        i need to fix that as it drove me mad yesterday keep getting up off the floor to wave my arms and trigger the light again lol!!

RS6 brakes now sold,
        312mm front brakes 100% complete and awaiting fitting.

front subframe/suspension mount 1/2 sections given to a mate to be trimmed down and closed off/welded up as i have sold my MIG.
        hope to have these back by the weekend, look forward to that then final fit of front suspension and brakes <------ exciting!

im not gonna bother tarting the brakes or suspension up as they will be binned within a year for other stuff.

Thankyou for the concern over my foot, appreciated muchly

Comment

• Glad you're on the mend mate.
          034 seem to have lost the plot, their service seems shocking these days... mind you it never was the best
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• right, little bit of an update

might be losing my job at the end of the month lol, great just what i need.

anyway, while i still have me van and use of my centres etc i used the press to press the old ****y bushes out

cut off the old webbing on the crossmember sections and tidyed them up.

then cut plates from an old mount off the MOT diesel smoke machine lol
            then gas welded them into place since i dont have a MIG anymore

did a good job i think.

just need to get my ally bushes back from a mate who wanted to look at them

then will fit the bushes tomorrow, clean them up with a wire wheel and enamel paint them black

more pics during the week after these

Comment

• Have I missed somethng mate, whats going on with the chopped up subframe?
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• well, because of how low down the engine is i had to chop the middle of the subframe out!

but doing so makes the 2 halves that are left ( the suspension arms bolt to it)
                they flex so much you can watch the wheels move in and out

so i got solid bushes fitted and closed the ends up incase an MOT tester gets arsey, although it wont happen when i own the car

just had a brain wave while sat here........... my gearbox mount isnt gonna fit the new solid bushes!

AAAH FUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

jesus i can be so dumb sometimes lol

the old bushes were rubber so just spread when forced but ally ones wont. ah well i will maby use a spacer to drop it down a smidge then make a new setup later on

Comment

• Alex, have a look from page 3 to page 6 i think, should explain in pics why subframe got butchered, let me know what your thaughts are whe you see the piccies, made me make a comment out loud and i built the thing lol

Comment

• I think you might find that the car is realy wobbly to be honest mate, if I was you I'd tie those sides together in a structural way.
                    You need the strength of the subframe to support the load from the suspension links, the only way to do that is transfering the load into the chassis via the subframe - IMHO you have taken a lot of structural strength out of the front chassis - unless you are adding it back in with some other kind of bracing between the suspension link mountings?
                    Indigo ABY coupé
                    Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• it will be mounted with solid bushes that bolt to the chassis legs and also the engine is chassis mounted

the dront of the chassis is linked by a hulking great bit of steel that acts as a boost pipe on a standard TDi aswell so there is 100% no flex

also the solid bushed doesnt have eliptical/oval holes, just 12mm bolt sized

so no flex, hence why i have did it this way, if one of the above was setup different i would have linked the 2 halves with a bolt in link brace but if you could see all the parts in place you would agree, physicaly it is a perfect setup mate

Comment

• Proof will be in the pudding I guess, I am sure you have thought it all through
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• this goes between the 2 chassis legs behind the front pannel propper chunky bit of steel!!

Comment

• think of it this way,
                            the origional rubber mounted crossmember had the lower suspension bolted to it and had loads of play

the new 2 halves setup has no play and the chassis had the same rigidity if not more from using the engine as a brace now.

if that makes sense!

Sean

and yes, the pudding should be stiff!

another item off my list

Comment

• Car and ALL Audi parts will be up for sale tomorrow, forum members offers accepted first, if not it will be on ebay.

if it doesnt sell it will be broken for spares and sold individually parts wise, and the shell scrapped.

shame but it just isnt working for me right now sadly.

Sorry

Would like to sell as a job lot, but will list everything in a for sale thread tomorrow once i can get my head around this.

100% going ahead this time, no queries, again sorry.

Comment

• It's a shame.

Good luck mate.

Comment

Working...
                                X