No announcement yet.

Project Zombie - 3B back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would re-do the fuel lines from the tank while your in there! Someone did a good guide recently. But if the engine is out you could go the whole way with fewer joints? Just an idea. The lines under the at will be pretty crusty!!
    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
      I've started to clean up the engine prior to getting it back in. 7A Cam cover machined by Hamish (G60Rallye) and sprayed in VHT crinckle paint and new COP's thanks to Mike (europeanme)
      Looks good. I would sand the paint off the 7A cam cover ribs to make them "pop".

Something like this (but without the zig-zag effect ):

My 4000th post. Oops.
      RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
      94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

Originally posted by re2500 View Post
        I would re-do the fuel lines from the tank while your in there! Someone did a good guide recently. But if the engine is out you could go the whole way with fewer joints? Just an idea. The lines under the at will be pretty crusty!!
        Cheers, good idea indeed. I'll pull them out of the guides to see what they are like. The car has been off the road for the past 6 years so perhaps they have survived better than most.
        91 Modded 3B
        14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Originally posted by UrS4boy View Post
          Looks good. I would sand the paint off the 7A cam cover ribs to make them "pop".

Something like this (but without the zig-zag effect ):

My 4000th post. Oops.
          I was planning on having the ribs milled to give them the 'pop'. The Audi logo may end up being filled with red paint/resin.

Nice 4,000th post
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Originally posted by SteveH View Post
            I was planning on having the ribs milled to give them the 'pop'. The Audi logo may end up being filled with red paint/resin. Nice 4,000th post
            Milling might not be necessary. Tom S. (RS2 America) used 600 grit sandpaper on a flat piece of wood (carpenter's pencil in his case) to remove the power coating on the 20V Turbo script on his cam cover.

(BTW, at 4000+ posts I am now officially a "Freak")

RS2'd 93 UrS4 5 spd sedan
            94 UrS4 V8 6 spd manual avant

Comment

That's going to look great I love black crackle (or crinkle), hmm my bay needs doing again..

S2 Coupe 3B Project

Ur quattro restoration

S2 Avant

Boost is the new rock and roll!
              sigpic

Comment

A little progress this week. The gearbox was dropped off for its rebuild and the car has been booked into the paint booth for mid September. Lots to do in the meantime with the ECU pin swap, battery relocation to the rear and replacement of the steering rack.
                I need to make a crank locking tool to swap the cam belt and I think I will swap the 7A exhaust cam back to the 3B cam for now until the turbo gets swapped out for something larger

Cam cover detailed

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
                91 Modded 3B

Comment

Looks really tidy, one or Aaron's carbon covers?
                  Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                  Sold ABY-stock

Comment

No not one of Aarons. It came from a small batch that was made up 7 or 8 years ago.

91 Modded 3B

Comment

I finally got the gearbox back from the refurbers. Excellent service from Tony at TR Transmissions in Dudley. He changed the input shaft main bearing, the diff bearings, rear bearing, replaced one syncro and all the seals for £250 inclusive.. Bargain!

The new Sachs clutch was mounted and the engine and gearbox went back in as one unit yesterday. There was only very light surface marks from the last clutch and no scoring, so I used some emery cloth to clean the flywheel surface. Fingers crossed the new sintered friction plate will bite nicely and bed in.

Trial fit of the 3" downpipe. I needed to cut and re-weld the wastegate pipe to get it to line up

Coils in place for routing of the loom and reversed AAN manifold

91 Modded 3B

Comment

I ordered new knock detectors from Euro Car Parts. Due to the supplier sending an incorrect part, I ended up with three of the green sensors free of charge

I've also refurbed the rear calipers and replaced the handbrake cables. Another fun job ticked off the list
                        91 Modded 3B

Comment

Coilpacks match your paint

You really do learn to hate Audi rear callipers!
                          Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                          Sold ABY-stock

Comment

Loving this write up.

How were the handbrake cables to do? I've a pair waiting to go on mine

Comment

Originally posted by sidrick View Post
                              Loving this write up.

How were the handbrake cables to do? I've a pair waiting to go on mine
                              The cables weren't too bad, but I'd already removed the exhaust which was a real pita to get off. I had to resort to using a hacksaw blade held in hand to slowly cut through the exhaust joint bolts that are right above the rear driveshaft Once the exhaust is out of the way, it's just removal of the heatshield to get at the handbrake lever end and the rest is just a pull out job. I got Pagid cables from Euro car parts and whilst they have the right end fittings they are missing a couple of bushes where the cables run through mounting points. I just pulled the fittings off the original cables and transferred then to the new cables. Surprisingly my calipers weren't seized after 6 years stationary!

I'd take pictures, but I'm working on my back under the car on axle stands with sh*t falling in my eyes, so the camera didn't come to mind
                              Last edited by SteveH; 29 August 2012, 20:50.
                              91 Modded 3B

Comment

The bay is looking great. I like the black intake/valve cover making the red coils pop.

Comment

Working...
                                X