Project Zombie - 3B back from the dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cab9fab View Post
    The bay is looking great. I like the black intake/valve cover making the red coils pop.
    Cheers

Today's fun and games has been finished off with refitting the clutch slave, what an absolute sh*te of a job. I've done it once before under the car and was prepared for some agro, but it was worse than I remember I eventually got it in place after soaking myself in hydraulic fluid and realised the bolt I had to hold it in place was the wrong one I think the thread in the gearbox is slightly stripped, so I'll remove it and tap it out larger when I have the car on ramps. The new Sachs clutch is quite a bit heavier than the old unit. Definitely one to build your leg muscles in traffic....
    91 Modded 3B
    14 A6 Avant Black Edition

Comment

Did you fit the sachs race clutch this time around? Making pretty quick progress now aswell
      Greg

S2Forum.com Administrator & Webmaster

'93 Coupe with a few tweeks

Comment

Yes Greg, the Sachs clutch is in. It's a heavier pedal than my old unit but the engagement isn't too severe. It's not bedded in yet, but feels good

Can't wait to give it some stick! I started her up yesterday with only the downpipe on I'm going to run her on the 3B RS2 setup until I can get it mapped with the ABY ECU, COPs and EV14's.

This is the layout for the PAS and alternator. I've got a shorter V belt to avoid running close to the alternator adjuster. Hopefully the single belt will be able to take the strain of running both systems

Test fitted the radiator and fan today, but have decided to get a bigger fan before connecting up the coolant lines. Into the paint shop in 10 days so I need to get the glass out next week. Plenty still to do for ADI...

Phone pic, I'll get some better fitment shots tomorrow.

91 Modded 3B

Comment

AND...big thanks to Rusty for the support getting a stuck spark plug out

I have no idea why plug number 4 was almost seized in the head. I thought I was going to break it or strip the threads getting it out. There was no sign of any issues with the head or threads on the plug when we got it out
          91 Modded 3B

Comment

it's easy when it's not your car and you're not the one holding the spanner Wasn't it cylinder 3?
            Cheers'en, AndyC
            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

The car is now stripped for painting. It's frightening what you find hidden under solid looking paint

There was corrosion starting around the mounting holes for the rear lights and around the bolt hole in the rear quarter for the rear window seal. There was also corrosion starting under the trim that runs down both sides over the doors and windows. The worst thing with this type of corrosion is that you can't see it happening from the outside, so you could be oblivious to it until it's already got a good hold. Glass out is a must and a lot easier than I thought it would be. Three good coats of PPG Laser red 2K to go on this week and then a flat and polish.

The challenge will be getting all the trim back on without scratching the paint.

Thanks to the lads at Restomod who put in some hard work yesterday
              91 Modded 3B

Comment

Fair play, your bo77ocking on with it! This making an ADI appearance, or is that a tad adventurous?
                Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

The car will be painted tomorrow and flat and polished by the end of the week. I'll then stick it on the ramps to fab the exhaust from downpipe to rear box. I'm aiming to have it back together within a week and off for it's MOT.

ADI shouldn't be a problem, however I've still got to sort out a running issue, do a cambelt change and think about doing the ECU and pin swap.
                  91 Modded 3B

Comment

In that case keep the pics coming

Im MOTing before the end of the week, 4 wheel align and then cambelt change. A quick wash and polish and ill be ready to tax at the beginning of Oct ready for ADI.
                    Black B3 1990 CQ 2.3E converted to ABY & 6spd. (301bhp) - Now Sold
                    03 Dolphin B6 S4 Avant LPG - New Daily Wagon
                    01 Silver D2 A8 3.7 quattro sport - SOLD

"Difficult is worth doing"

Comment

Well the jaded laser red paint is a thing of the past...

Tailgate and trim should be finished by the end of the day.
                      91 Modded 3B

Comment

wow, going to look fantastic Steve when she's done. How much was the full windows out job out of interest?
                        sigpic

1992 3b S2 Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by s2driveruk View Post
                          wow, going to look fantastic Steve when she's done. How much was the full windows out job out of interest?
                          Yes, she should look sweet when finished. I guess you'd be looking at 1,400 to 1,500 all in, however I undertook most of the prep and supplied the 2K paint and activator, so it will be significantly less.
                          Last edited by SteveH; 19 September 2012, 19:49.
                          91 Modded 3B

Comment

Very much looking forward to seeing your handiwork
                            Cheers'en, AndyC
                            1994 ABY Coupe - Projekt Alpinweiss

Comment

progress is great! Should look great at ADI!
                              96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                              96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

The car is now back from painting and the process of putting all the trim and interior is underway. One sill left to paint satin black and the new wheels can go back on. I didn't get the exhaust finished, so that's now the only thing preventing a booking for an MOT. A few weeks till ADI and still plenty to do....

The paint isn't mottled, it's poor images from my iPhone
                                91 Modded 3B

Comment

Working...
                                X