Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So the rear sub frame came off today.

It def needs some welding.

Also one of the forward diff mounts was torn and the other one doesn't look much better.

I managed to get the diff mount off an new poly bush in. One down, plenty to go.

Next question is, of those who have fitted poly bushes to a sub frame. I have 4 chamfered bushes and 4 with square edges. Two of the tubes are longer than the others. I've not taken the old bushes out so it might be obvious once apart. But does anyone have instructions as to which goes where.

Comment

Square shouldered halve goes against the chassis.
      You will see when you remove them that two of the bushes are thicker than the other pair, can't remember whether its the front or rear part off the top of my head
      Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
      Indigo ABY coupé
      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

Yup it is obvious, when in two of the holes, the two short tubes are too short

Comment

Originally posted by Bowie69 View Post
          Yup it is obvious, when in two of the holes, the two short tubes are too short
          So one of the pairings end up with a gap between the two poly bush halves?

She also needs a load of new nuts and bolts but can get them easily. Cheers for the heads up.

Comment

I think both may well have a gap between the pairs, but yes one gap is certainly bigger than the other.

As for nuts, think I found I need M10x1.5, M10x1.25 and M10x1.0 in Nylocs when doing my rear...

Comment

Is there an aftermarket mount for the diff side mounts or OEM only?

Is this the right way? Should the larger shoulder be at 12, 3 6, ot 9 o'clock?

Comment

IIRC the diff side mounts are the same as Porsche 911 engine mounts so maybe a choice of aftermarket ones.

Comment

Rear diff mount is in the correct position as you have it

Bambridge and 034 do the diff mounts IIRC.

Comment

Saw that 034 do them. Is there a UK dealer or do they do UK postage for a reasonable price and time?

Comment

Welded up the rear diff during the week.

Didn't get a photo of it with the final piece welded on.

Removed the old bushed with fire

In other good news the strut top mounts all fell apart and the rear bump stops, which looked ok, are knackered under closer inspection.

I've ordered all new diff, gearbox and engine mounts from Bambridge all new exhaust mounts too. I also folded and bought two new front lower ball joints. I've also got, I think, all new nuts and bolts to put it all back together with. I'm sure i'll have missed some but I can get them all easily enough.

Hoping to get everything back from the powder coating later this week.

Comment

That certainly looks like a nice welding job on the subframe! What setup are you using?
                        96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                        96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Originally posted by TimE-J View Post
                          That certainly looks like a nice welding job on the subframe! What setup are you using?
                          Setup for welding?

I have a mate who used to be a fabricator and used to build F1 exhausts and uprights for Le Mans cars etc. Fair play he knows how to weld.

Subframe has been repaired using T45 roll cage tube and 3mm sheet steel. Don't think it's going to break anytime soon!

Comment

No I agree it certainly looks like it will last!
                            96 S2 aby Coupe. Rebuild Project
                            96 mk3 golf tdi daily.

Comment

Tidy repair on the subframe!
                              Current-2004 Impreza PPP wagon

Sold-92 3B coupe-RS2+, 996s, konis, rear torsen, forged rods........
                              Sold ABY-stock

Comment

So..... picked up all the bits from being powder coated and I have to say all the bits look the nuts.

I've not un wrapped or refitted everything yet. But here is the rear subframe before.

and after

I got the anti roll bars done in a candy purple. Sounds a bit much but looks good, pics don't really do it justice.

I also got the wishbones done

Shock bodies and some ebay Koni stickers. I have some protective film to go over them so they don't get destroyed.

I also removed the mostly knackered heat shield over the back box.

and attacked it with a wire brush and some waxoyl spray.

It's also had a full new set of C&R chain reinforced exhaust mounts.

I also have a full set of Bambridge mounts and an Apikol snub to do as well. Plus mostly new ball joints and rod ends.

Plenty to do but should be spot on once done. Will post some more pics as it all comes together. Just hope the rain holds off tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X