Project Mental Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Mental Wheels

Well here goes again, I’m typing this in MS Word 2013 and saving regularly so hopefully no more f**k-ups…

Right, where was I, oh yes the BEGINNING… AGAIN!!! As I was saying, Kit suggested I call this Project Spec-Creep which is perhaps more apt for reasons that will become clear later on, however Project Mental Wheels I think sounds better. If however there is a referendum on the matter I will concede to popular opinion.

A little over a year ago Kit took me out in his modded S2 coupé and so impressed was I with the enormous thrust of the thing I decided I wanted to have a similar sort of contraption. What with the rising values and the fact that it wouldn’t be too long before they weren’t affordable I was advised to seek out an RS2, which would have similar power out of the box and wouldn’t only not depreciate like a used BMW but would in fact serve as an investment. What better way to rationalise buying a fast car!

Sometime in October 2014 a Ragusa green N reg example came up on here, hi Andy , so I went with a couple of knowledgeable friends (K Simmonds & Trist28) up to Derby to have a look at it. Paintwork was 99.9% rust-free, wheels were excellent, it had a new £2k Supersprint stainless 3" stainless exhaust & inc. downpipe, the interior was as good as could be expected from a car with 127k on the clock, in fact there was minimal wear and tear, ran sweet with no funny noises and had the optional £2k big brake conversion in 2006... so on the 18th October I became the proud owner of a fine specimen of Audi’s flagship sportswagon of the mid-nineties
    20150516_155328.jpg

A couple of months later I crashed it and wrote it off. No I didn’t, that would be a horrible story No, 2 months later another Ragusa green M reg example came up, hi Michael This time about ¾ the price. A little miffed I decided I had to go see it. It turned out to be in almost as good condition and had been well looked after for some years at an Audi dealership in Walton-Upon-Thames, Surrey and had a great service history and many new parts/replaced bulbs etc including new rear shocks and a clutch. A shame I already had an RS2. ...On the 10th of January I became the proud owner...
    20150113_153613.jpg

What was I to do with 2 RS2s? "Power, more power!" (Christopher Walken? A View to a Kill?) Yes, hungry for more power - it still bugged me that Kit’s machine still gave a more thunderous surge from lower down the rev range – I decided that I would offer one of my cars up for a little vehicular surgery. It was a hard choice but I decided to put the M reg up for the task, it cost me less, had 16,000 extra miles on the clock and had some cheap window tint that had gone purple and had to go.

Now who to take on the work? MRC seemed a bit up-market/new cars/expensive and DNA were a bit far away, so I rang VRS. Enter Will Linfoot. Absolute legend, really enthusiastic and will happily spend the entire day discussing mod options for my car and talk about his own motor related stories, massively cool guy and am immensely pleased he’s at the helm of this project.

So anyway, I walked into VRS with plans to ask about a billet, perhaps hybrid turbo and a remap, I came out with various scribblings on my notepad, including ‘Turbo Dynamics MD357, Wagner Evo EM, coil packs’ and some other illegible cacography.

About two weeks later, I went back and after another days chatting I came out with more scribblings, this time reading ‘Borg Warner EFR6758, Wagner Evo RS2 EM & IC, de-cat Jetex exhaust, baffled sump, paint subframe, MoTeC M84 ECU, 3 angled seats, target 400-450bhp’ Perhaps now you can see where Kit was coming from with his suggestion of ‘Spec-Creep’

Another 3 or so weeks later and the notepad was reading most of the above but now ‘BW 7163, Iroz tubular EM, custom 3" exhaust, MoTeC M84 & D153 display, launch & anti-lag, optimised head work, Bosch 044 10bar fuel pump, Bosch motorsport 1100cc injectors, VRS rods & Sputter bearings, boost level control, 4.8Kg billet flywheel, new 1st – 2nd gear hub & carbon covered synchros, paint block + head + gearbox, target 500-550bhp, KW suspension?’. ‘Spec-Creep’ had, by now, gained absolute legitimacy.

At my last meeting with Will on Friday 3rd not much, thankfully, could be improved but just to cement the ‘Spec-Creep’ accolade, I inquired about a brake upgrade... Porsche 996 GT3 front calipers and 996 Carrera 4 rears are now on the to-do list. More importantly however, I was now able to see some evidence of action on the car and have taken some pictures which I shall now unveil…

This is what I was presented with, work was well under way:
    20150703_123948.jpg

Block, crank and pistons seemed in good nick:
    20150703_124055.jpg

20150703_124003.jpg

Some cleaning required:
    20150703_131945_Rothersthorpe Crescent.jpg

Gearbox set for some TLC:
    20150703_131817_Rothersthorpe Crescent.jpg

Some ancillaries set for some soda blasting:
    20150703_124032.jpg

Subframe and wishbones set for some powder coating. Note the clutch which is virtually new and maybe a replacement for the poor specimen that was subjected to the hardships of drag racing...
    20150703_124106.jpg

Brakes don't have long to live now:
    20150703_124249.jpg

Rear diff and driveshaft, not too bad:
    20150703_124605_Rothersthorpe Crescent.jpg

Now let's have a look at some of the new stuff...

Intercooler & downpipe:
    20150423_113329.jpg

Boost gauge:
    AEM boost guage.jpg

MoTeC ECU & D153 display:
    MoTeC M84.jpg

20150703_134641_Rothersthorpe Crescent.jpg

Turbo and manifold:
    Tubular ex manifold + 7163 turbo.jpg

Billet flywheel:
    20150703_143008_Rothersthorpe Crescent.jpg

Baffled sump:
    20150202_120933.jpg

More when I have more. Engine bay is set to be detailed on the 9th, subframe and wishbones to be powder coated a week later, block, head and gearbox should be painted too, with assembly a week after that. Fingers crossed it'll be on Will's brand new 4wd dyno come the end of the month...

This has been a somewhat rushed and less passionate write-up than the previous one I lost, but I was so f*$%£d off I'm surprised I've even managed this. In any case, watch this space...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by cardcrash; 17 January 2019, 10:48.
    RS2 - Project Mental Wheels
    RS2 - LHD on the road again
    RS2 - reduced to component parts
    RS2 Saloon replica
    A4 1.8T
    BMW 320d Touring M Sport Business Edition auto
    sigpic

I have to say that 2 of them is just greedy...

Comment

Nice cars. And nice updates. Fun to see how it goes when you get the hunger for power, more is just not enough.

Audi UrS4 Avant 2.5 20vt - twincharged - Project
      Audi 80q B4 Sedan 2.2 20vt - Daily user
      BMW 320d Touring e91 M-Sport - Daily user
      BMW 740iA e38 - Project

Comment

Originally posted by Thuppu View Post
        Nice cars. And nice updates. Fun to see how it goes when you get the hunger for power, more is just not enough.
        i know the feeling
        first i begun with rs2 setup,now i have a gt3076r and i'm always playing with other new ideas!
        I always say,i have more fun with adjust and improve the car than driving with it
        audi coupe quattro b2 2.2 20vt project (573hp-626nm)
        TWINCHARGED power,zero lag
        AEM W/M injection

Comment

Some good work there, I'm extremely jealous!

Comment

Nice write up will look forward to watching this build. Good to hear good things about VRS, I think I will be going to them when I can afford a nice power hike. The rest of the car is ready for more power.

Would be interested to know approximate costs for a build like this? If you don't mind?

Comment

Originally posted by Teg View Post
              Nice write up will look forward to watching this build. Good to hear good things about VRS, I think I will be going to them when I can afford a nice power hike. The rest of the car is ready for more power.
              Thanks Yes, I highly recommend VRS, speak to Will he's a very knowledgeable guy, will offer you virtually any and every mod ever conceived and will not only undertake practically any job you request of him without huffing and puffing and grumbling but will do so with unreserved enthusiasm. The flipside of this is that it encourages you to overstep your budget boundaries or as in my case, vaporise them! But he'll tell you if he thinks it's not a good idea and explain why.

Originally posted by Teg View Post
              Would be interested to know approximate costs for a build like this? If you don't mind?
              Not at all, present costs stand at around £13,000, mostly for parts.

Here we have an invoice for some injectors, sensors and a software upgrade for the MoTeC:

This one's for the gearbox work:

Clutch, flywheel, intercooler, wastegate and blow-off valve:

Repairing a scratch I put in the wing, fitting the heated windscreen and hooking it up:

And here we have one for some con-rods, the turbo, the MoTeC ECU & display and fitting some tyres:
              Last edited by cardcrash; 7 July 2015, 20:33.
              RS2 Saloon replica
              A4 1.8T
              sigpic

Comment

Nice! Looking forward to see how that turbo performs.
                sigpic
                1991 Audi S2 3B - 2.5 Stroker engine
                1997 A6 2.5TDi quattro avant - C4
                1976 RD250E / 350LC cafe racer

Comment

Do you have a big hole in the garden and a shovel for the money like most of us do, Nice work by the way

Comment

Many thanks

Better get saving. No one tell my other half!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Nice one Charlie, your in safe hands with Will and VRS.. he will without any doubt make that wallet lighter.

I'll have a look round this on Friday..
                      Stuart
                      B2 90 quattro with boost

Comment

Looking good Charlie.

Whats the plan for the car - track, road, drag?
                        Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
                        Indigo ABY coupé
                        Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

All of the above!

Which is why I've kept the output to 550bhp, to maintain driveability and mid-range torque, any more and I think I'd have to use bigger turbos and be limited to high rev range power band and perhaps only get 2-2½k usable revs per gear... I dunno, I leave the technical stuff to Will, I just tell him what I want...
                          Last edited by cardcrash; 7 July 2015, 13:59.
                          RS2 Saloon replica
                          A4 1.8T
                          sigpic

Comment

That's the worst case of spec-creep I've seen in a long time.

Looking forward to updates, and more particular your driving impressions when it is done.

Sorry about this question, but what about suspension ?

Comment

KW coil-overs.
                              RS2 Saloon replica
                              A4 1.8T
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X