No announcement yet.

Urq project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oky so there are more bearings damaged.

Your wear looks like the bearing at the half of this page right?
    http://www.agkits.com/bearing-failure-analysis.aspx
    1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

• Would you say it was wiped? Most bearings were ok maybe a bit stressed.

Sent from my LG-H955 using Tapatalk

Comment

• No i would say it looks more like the 'fatigue' photo. But I must admit I'm not that good at this kind of stuff.
        1360kg/600Whp Avant 0-200km/h 9sec

Comment

• Did you measure the BE bore & crush height of the bearings on installation? Also are you sure you're map isnt knocking?
          Panthero Coupé quattro 20vt
          Indigo ABY coupé
          Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Don't have the numbers to had but everything looked good with tolerances between the middle and larger end which should be perfect for a powerful build. The map is only running 1 bar boost and an afr of 0.7 and retarded timing compared to my other stroker so should be very safe.

Comment

• Bearing fit is really important to prevent them spinning - I would check this on the other rods. You want about 0.1mm for our size big ends. Oil clearances can be perfect but if the shells are loose in the bore then they don't conform to shape properly and there isn't enough friction so they are liable to spin
              Indigo ABY coupé
              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by Error404 View Post
                Bearing fit is really important to prevent them spinning - I would check this on the other rods. You want about 0.1mm for our size big ends. Oil clearances can be perfect but if the shells are loose in the bore then they don't conform to shape properly and there isn't enough friction so they are liable to spin
                It was only oil clearances that I have measured building any engine. Live and learn. To measure crush are you torqueing the rod bolts with bearing fitted but not on the crank and then loosening 1 bolt and measuring the deflection between the 2 halves?

Comment

• Yup that's right mate
                  Indigo ABY coupé
                  Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• And even with the location dowls they open up ok?

Also thinking I need to change my new expensive oil cooler too. Just in case the oil thermostat was letting a trickle of hot dirty oil in. Which it must of been. Crap another 300 quid...

Comment

• Yup, the radial force is really quite strong when the size is right- this force is what stops the shells spinning in service. You can swap the shells round to match up the halves to even up the crush across all the journals / pins
                      Yeah definitely replace the cooler after a failure unfortunately
                      Indigo ABY coupé
                      Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• Originally posted by diesel des View Post
                        It was only oil clearances that I have measured building any engine. Live and learn. To measure crush are you torqueing the rod bolts with bearing fitted but not on the crank and then loosening 1 bolt and measuring the deflection between the 2 halves?

I have also only ever done plastigauge before for bearing clearance.
                        Can you explain that better ?
                        Paul Nugent
                        Webmaster http://S2central.net
                        Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                        2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                        2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

• Originally posted by S2central.net View Post
                          I have also only ever done plastigauge before for bearing clearance.
                          Can you explain that better ?
                          Does this help. Basicly fit the shells to the rod while on the bench. Tighten up the bolts to torque. Then loosen on bolt and measure how much the cap opens at the slack end.

Comment

• Can also repeat on the big ends too I suppose before the cranks fitted.

Comment

• Mains and big ends. Very important job, often overlooked
                              Indigo ABY coupé
                              Imola B6 S4 Avant

Comment

• OK - thanks Des, but what is the spec for how much is too much when you do that ?
                                I am not really getting it though - why test clearance with one bolt loosened ?
                                Paul Nugent
                                Webmaster http://S2central.net
                                Administrator http://S2forum.com

1994 S2 Coupe ABY - aka Project Lazarus
                                2001 A6 allroad 2.5TDi - family tank
                                2003 S4 Avant 4.2 V8 - daily burble

Purveyor of HomeFries and Exclusive agent for Samco hose kits (S2/RS2)

There are only 10 kinds of people that understand binary - those that do, and those that don't

Comment

Working...
                                X